Making A Pen Case

my63

Thanks for your concern Anne-Sophie my hands are doing really well currently.

I have lots of friends in the USA and I think about you all and hope that we can find our way through this.

Having lost my mum to the virus in the first wave I fully understand the anxiety, I read the infection and death rates with horror not only in the US but the UK are leading Europe for numbers of loved ones lost.

I hope that eventually comon sense will prevail and countries can work together to make the vaccines available to all nations.

The full story of the Doctors case is on my new blog 

Custom leather pen cases, accessories and restoration | MY63 (wixsite.com)

I am pleased that FPN has returned and wish everyone well.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Michael,

glad to see you are well, and returned to FPN.  I always look forward to seeing your latest work;  I'm off to check out your new blog.

gary

On 12/12/2020 at 4:38 AM, my63 said:

Thanks for your concern Anne-Sophie my hands are doing really well currently.

I have lots of friends in the USA and I think about you all and hope that we can find our way through this.

Having lost my mum to the virus in the first wave I fully understand the anxiety, I read the infection and death rates with horror not only in the US but the UK are leading Europe for numbers of loved ones lost.

I hope that eventually comon sense will prevail and countries can work together to make the vaccines available to all nations.

The full story of the Doctors case is on my new blog 

Custom leather pen cases, accessories and restoration | MY63 (wixsite.com)

I am pleased that FPN has returned and wish everyone well.

Michael, i finally found out how to quote posts.

I am so sorry about your Mom, I believe you told us, on the forum, but that feels like so long ago, the stress of this year and last, was and is unbelievable.

Even more thanks yous are going yours and you family ways, working for other in the mist of unbelievable grief.

This pandemic has brought a lot of unscrupulous people out, profiteering from the shortage of masks, antiseptic wipes, hoarding medicinal alcohol and wipes that are needed for diabetics (the minute I found out, I stopped any idea of buying those items).  Especially since scientists told us that soap was just as effective, I have a liquid so kit for on the go use.

In the U.S, especially in some areas, it was and still is, very hard to convince people that dining out, any gathering are dangerous and hoarding buys are callous and not masking is just unconscionable. 

I heard of the pandemic early and isolated until I could buy cloth masks. 

I wish there has been a Rosie the Riverter like initiative to make gown, masks and other items for medical personnel.

Many women, on their own initiatives, took to their sewing machines and produced and are still producing cloth masks for the general public, so PPE ones could be saved for people on the  medical battlefield.

I do appreciate to see you on this forum, I am heading out to your website, blog.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

16 minutes ago, my63 said:

I have altered my signiture to show my new blog and website as I think recent visitors may have gone there rather than the new one. which is.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I went to the site last night and it gave me trouble, the pictures "jumped" all around. You might have been updating it because, it was 6 or 7 am, your time.

I just went back, the tab was still open and I have no problem viewing your most recent  vintage briefcase restoration and an earlier one, the USAF vintage briefcase.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks for the feedback Anne-Sophie there are some issues with the new blog and website, but we will get there in the end.

The Doctors case was a great project it was delivered back to its owner yesterday, ready to serve future generations.

There is not much to share this week I am finishing some belts and painting the bathroom.

I had planned on closing the workshop for the holidays, but I was asked to make a cigar style case for a pair of Emperor fountain pens. As I enjoy making these cases I decided to make it. 

I started with two pieces of flat sheet kydex which are heated and formed around a dowel which is larger than the required size.

50750552591_9f0c179f2c_c.jpg2020-12-23_10-06-25 by my0771, on Flickr

After welding the seam I rounded over the ends they are now ready to be wrapped in suede.

50749810023_5d746d881d_c.jpg2020-12-23_10-06-34 by my0771, on Flickr

Kydex was originally used in the Aviation industry for interiors it is very light and very strong.

I would like to wish everyone a happy Christmas and a safe New Year.

Michael

Good wishes to you too Michael can't wait to see the new Emperor case!

Thanks Anne-Sophie I had run out of suede and thread in the correct colour for this Emperor case.

I decided to return to the writing slope restoration project. I tidied up the edges ready for the fitting of the writing surface.

Purple suede was my choice.

50787756621_30f4f3bda7_c.jpg2021-01-01_05-34-55 by my0771, on Flickr

This is quite a vivid colour as you can see in the first picture the light had changed by the time I took the second picture.

50787001478_189afc03d5_c.jpg2021-01-01_05-35-13 by my0771, on Flickr

Making the card to go inside the lid which wil be wrapped in suede.

50787931407_b7581bcd3c_c.jpg2021-01-01_05-50-44 by my0771, on Flickr

This little writing box has been stabalised rather than fully restored it should last for another 200 years.

Sadly I no longer have space to keep everything I would like to keep so this will be sold as soon as it is finished.

The lid on the writing slope needed some love so I cut up some card and wrapped it in suede this picture shows the dry fit.

50791227061_24bd91f79c_c.jpg2021-01-02_02-14-29 by my0771, on Flickr

While the glue is drying I have moved to the cigar style pen case which was waiting for the special order suede, and thread.

Each tube is made individually and wrapped in suede, I do this by stitching the bottom this forms a cushion should a pen be dropped in too quickly, To help this I do not apply any glue to the bottom of the suede.

In this picture you can see one tube wrapped in suede and another with the dowel inside waiting to be inserted into its tube.

Once the glue is dry I can start the next cover.

50790971651_8a8ee12717_c.jpg2021-01-02_12-49-53 by my0771, on Flickr

The cigar style case is the most complicated case I make. Once I have the the two tubes wrapped in suede I join them together with a layer of thin leather. This is always a dark colour as the top is a friction fit and would mark lighter coloured leather.

50792031571_266315c96e_c.jpg2021-01-02_05-48-38 by my0771, on Flickr

I like it when the inner colour "pops" like this orange.  

The writing slope is lovely.

Thank you for explaining how the suede covering/insert is made, this bright orange and brown has a really good contrast.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to take some time off over the holidays I had started a case which is the orange and black one I shared earlier.

Now those of you who have been reading for a while will know I do share my mistakes. I try not to make too many, but when I do I tend to go for it.

These are the outer covers for the orange and black pen tubes, unfortunately this leather had a fault which only appeared as it dried out. What is worse is I thought it was my mistake and made a second set of covers from the same leather. They are all in my bin now. I ordered a second hide which was much better than the first. now comes the big mistake when I made the stitching holes I wandered off the line. essentially this lost me a whole weeks work.

50836391397_5219d35215_c.jpg2021-01-14_10-13-21 by my0771, on Flickr

I am going to punch the stitching holes on the 4th set of covers I have made for this case so I will be taking great care to follow the lines this time.

The mistake wasn't yours, the hide wasn't fit for big projects, it should only have been sold in small pieces.

The stitching problem might mean that you need more of a break.

The contrast between the black leather and the orange thread is really stunning!

Joints are rarely pretty so I try to disguise them, On this case I use a centre band.

50852039293_760104ff83_c.jpg2021-01-19_02-51-22 by my0771, on Flickr

After dying it is formed around the case to take the shape and held in place while it dries.

50852037018_29e760209a_c.jpg2021-01-19_02-50-33 by my0771, on Flickr

I use a fine black thread to fix the centre band in place.

50852966832_bddd109ef6_c.jpg2021-01-19_03-27-58 by my0771, on Flickr

I am going to allow it to dry fully overnight before I apply the finishing touches.

I dont share everything I make sometimes I dont have time occasionally I dont have permission. I have recently finished a set of cases that I really wanted to share with you. Two are Emperor size and the 3rd is a Grand Emperor with an inside diameter of 30 mm it is huge, This is only the second case I have made in this size. I know who has the other one do you?

50852758151_00a04d2089_c.jpg2021-01-19_02-50-17 by my0771, on Flickr

Final picture of the Cigar style Emperor pen case.

50864302826_d24d7f9cb2_c.jpg2021-01-22_09-07-29 by my0771, on Flickr

This one caused some challenges but I got there in the end, I try not to have to many rules but no 1 is if it is not good enough it does not leave, Actually the first 2 failed covers have left the workshop but they were in the bin.

Next..

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago I was asked to make a pocket pen case to prevent a pen snapping when carried in a pocket.

My next commission is a pen case to hang on a lanyard which is a vairiation of the pocket pen case.

Selecting the correct size mold I formed the kydex piece removing the piece where the clip will rest.

50894598807_ae7ef24459_c.jpg2021-01-31_03-01-03 by my0771, on Flickr

The next stepwas to wrap the kydex liner in suede.

50894599702_5b96580813_c.jpg2021-01-31_03-01-20 by my0771, on Flickr

It took me a couple of attempts to work out that the shape had to be cut out before the leather was formed, this meant I had to stitch in a tempoary piece to maintian the shape during molding.

50893769548_38cf464f9e_c.jpg2021-01-31_03-02-02 by my0771, on Flickr

50893770423_c983c1dd87_c.jpg2021-01-31_03-02-16 by my0771, on Flickr

Stitching the suede wrapped liner into place.

50893771858_fa9243a2be_c.jpg2021-01-31_03-02-51 by my0771, on Flickr

Stitching in progress while stitching I though it would be a good option to loop the top of the back panel to form the opening for the lanyard. It is always good to remain open to changes throughout a project.

50894488456_8bba54f5c5_c.jpg2021-01-31_03-03-46 by my0771, on Flickr

Just like that before you know it you have a pen case on a lanyard.

50894608297_8ff00ee77d_c.jpg2021-01-31_03-04-06 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks 

Michael

Such a cute case! Your inventiveness seems to be endless Michael!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Anne-Sophie I do try to vairy my cases.

I have been making an effort to clear up some of the projects I have had for some time.

You might remember this writing slope it has been here for a long time. It has not really been restored more like conserved I have repaired the joints and cracks, the veneer has been secured so no more will fall off. I have not replaced the missing veneer.

50940399136_ba0921f8a3_c.jpg2021-02-13_10-11-38 by my0771, on Flickr

50940399691_035b5b30d3_c.jpg2021-02-13_10-11-49 by my0771, on Flickr

This slope had a minor issue with the lock which I repaired and found a key in my collection that only required a small amount of adjusting to work.

50939706243_1db7487857_c.jpg2021-02-13_10-12-09 by my0771, on Flickr