Making A Pen Case

my63

The pen cases are as gorgeous as they are unique!

Chairs are part of offices as well as writing and reading nooks and other spaces used with fountain pens.

As matter of fact most rooms can benefit from even the most minimalist setup for fountain pens use and that usually involves a chair, unless the plume using person is fond of standing desks.

Briefcases are in the same category.

It is nice to see your garden setup.

Since pen cases are your bread and butter, the more you show them, the more people want them, don't feel obligated to repost all the steps for making other items, like the chair, if you are pressed for time.

A link to the pictures on your blog always ends up to be a delightful discovery of your diverse, beautiful and unique creations.

Thank you for sharing and sorry for the bug, nothing short of a meteorological anomaly, called sunshine show the depth of the colors you use. I especially like the blue case with the matching blue thread and the contrasting white thread.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dispatched 5 pen cases yesterday which is good as I am taking the rest of this week off following my hand treatment this afternoon, I also have to isolate for four weeks, which is pretty easy as I dont go out much at the moment.

I still have a number of cases to make in the coming weeks and will be getting on with them asap.

In the mean time I have a new toy to play with, it is about 40 years old and should clean up like new..

50213845836_13fe679c0f_c.jpg2020-08-11_12-38-30 by my0771, on Flickr

For those who did not recognise it from the picture it is a J T Marshall hot foil press, I dont do much in the way of personalisation on my leather work but if I want to I have a great machine for it.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I dispatched 5 pen cases yesterday which is good as I am taking the rest of this week off following my hand treatment this afternoon, I also have to isolate for four weeks, which is pretty easy as I dont go out much at the moment.

I still have a number of cases to make in the coming weeks and will be getting on with them asap.

In the mean time I have a new toy to play with, it is about 40 years old and should clean up like new..

50213845836_13fe679c0f_c.jpg2020-08-11_12-38-30 by my0771, on Flickr

For those who did not recognise it from the picture it is a J T Marshall hot foil press, I dont do much in the way of personalisation on my leather work but if I want to I have a great machine for it.

Nice machine, I am envious. Does the temperature control still work fairly accurately? I have sometimes had issues with calibration those old, potentiometer-regulated thermal controllers (and I suppose the last thing one wants to do is to inadvertently burn through a piece of leather that was just painstakingly cut and dyed...

Assuming you have space for the thing, it should make a nice and useful addition to your workshop.

Nice machine, I am envious. Does the temperature control still work fairly accurately? I have sometimes had issues with calibration those old, potentiometer-regulated thermal controllers (and I suppose the last thing one wants to do is to inadvertently burn through a piece of leather that was just painstakingly cut and dyed...

Assuming you have space for the thing, it should make a nice and useful addition to your workshop.

I have to be honest I have no idea if the temperature side or any of the electrics work, I am not worried as all of the parts are available including the insulation panels which usually fall apart although mine look in good condition.

It is way bigger and much heavier than I was expecting, As a child when ever I broke something my father would say should have had it made by Swans (local shipyard) from half inch plate. This machine is indeed made from half inch thick plate steel.

There is not space in the workshop but I am going to have a rethink of the workshop as it is not working for storage. And I think my needs are changing.

Currently I have benches down either side 600mm deep with a deeper bench along the back wall, unfortunately this means I can't reach the wall shelves and the position of the legs makes it difficult to get things underneath the benches.

I have some bags and cases I want to restore and recreate.

There is a vintage weekend bag that I bought 2 or 3 years ago which is still waiting for restoration,

A number of Gladstone bags which are also in the queue. There is also a couple of Portmanateau cases that are overdue a comeback, I think with smart light weight leather they would be fantastic.

All of these are things I would like to recreate but I need an industrial sewing machine which I have resisted until now I want to create more items many of which are larger and hand stitching wont be viable or necessary for these items.

I had a series of steroid injections again on Tuesday as surgical options are not currently available.

All of the cases I shipped on Monday have now arrived in their new homes one of the owners was kind enough to share a picture.

50229482076_1bfcbb94c8_c.jpg2020-08-15_05-50-03 by my0771, on Flickr

I had steroid injections mid week so I am late starting this weeks cases actually they will be next weeks cases by the time I get started.

I shared my new Hot foil press recently I have been cleaning and testing it over the last few days, followed by some test prints to get an idea of how it is working.

50233464937_61ce35917a_c.jpg2020-08-16_05-18-17 by my0771, on Flickr

I am really impressed with this machine, straight forward and easy to use it opens up a lot of personalisation possibilities for my leatherwork.

I shared my new Hot foil press recently I have been cleaning and testing it over the last few days, followed by some test prints to get an idea of how it is working.

I am really impressed with this machine, straight forward and easy to use it opens up a lot of personalisation possibilities for my leatherwork.

If you're ever inclined to post an illustrated explanation of the process I'd just love to see how that thing works. I really enjoy your posts. Edited by Anaxyrus

The foil press looks gorgeous, even on a scrap of leather, so I imagine how wonderful it will look on finished items.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

50233464937_61ce35917a_c.jpg2020-08-16_05-18-17 by my0771, on Flickr

Very nice. did the machine come with it's own type dies, or did you use your own?

I agree, with Anaxyrus, it would be nice to hear how the process of embossing with foil works practically. Plain embossing is pretty straightforward, even by hand, and I understand foil pressing in concept, but it would be great to hear the steps you had to go through to reach the result you posted.

Of course I would be happy to tell you more about the hot foil press. Unfortunately it did not come with any type N1003U which is a shame as it is very expensive to buy, especially the brass type which is the best for using with leather. If anyone has any lying around please let me know :).

The machines keep coming...For some time I have been looking for a sewing machine but not a hi tech computerised one the Singer 29k or patcher was designed to repair leather goods. As it has the Singer centenial logo 1851 to 1951 i think it was made after 1951 although the serial number will confirm the date.

50259656693_399a97db73_c.jpgsinger 29k by my0771, on Flickr.

For some time I have been looking for a sewing machine

It is my sons 21st tomorrow and he is out with his friends tonight which due to covid is a smaller affair, he asked me to make a set of belts for his friends to mark the occasion. This is the first job for the hot foil press.

50263908826_5fc367f1c6_c.jpg2020-08-24_06-01-41 by my0771, on Flickr

50263252793_ac2c1f525b_c.jpg2020-08-24_06-01-56 by my0771, on Flickr

The stainless buckles have silver foil and the brass buckles have gold foil the rest of the set are boxed ready to go.

It is my sons 21st tomorrow and he is out with his friends tonight which due to covid is a smaller affair, he asked me to make a set of belts for his friends to mark the occasion. This is the first job for the hot foil press.

50263908826_5fc367f1c6_c.jpg2020-08-24_06-01-41 by my0771, on Flickr

50263252793_ac2c1f525b_c.jpg2020-08-24_06-01-56 by my0771, on Flickr

The stainless buckles have silver foil and the brass buckles have gold foil the rest of the set are boxed ready to go.

Such a special gift! I love the matching color foil.

The Singer machine is definitely an antique :)

I was able to get a little more information about the sewing machine, The serial number was allocated on the 11th October 1949 in a batch of 5,000 to be made at the Clydebank factory in Scotland. It was made in 1950 for sale in 1951 which was Singers Centenary year this machine has the Centenary emblem on it.

The previous owner told me she had never used it, This may have been because the walking foot mechanism was seized 25mm above the bed along with a number of other issues. It took about 3 hours of cleaning to get the walking foot walking again. I fitted a new needle and it makes holes and the walking foot pulls leather through the machine as it is designed to. I need to wait for some parts to arrive before I can test the sewing.

Pictures to follow.

There have been many distractions recently which along with my other workload has reduced case making time, I have been trying to catch up when I can.

I formed a tube from 1 mm Kydex which I then wrapped in soft clothing weight suede about 0.5 mm thick.

50281297382_3023d2940f_c.jpg2020-08-29_09-08-40 by my0771, on Flickr

I sealed the pen tube in wrap to allow mw to wet form the outer covers around the actual pen tube.

50281299042_509af1517d_c.jpg2020-08-29_09-09-15 by my0771, on Flickr

The second case on my workbench this week is a double flat backed Emperor case.

50281299582_a8b227432d_c.jpg2020-08-29_09-09-25 by my0771, on Flickr

I have formed and dyed the outer covers and will share a picture soon, I have had to stop using my workshop until I can clean it as I used steel wool while cleaning my new machines. wire woll will turn untreaded veg tan leather a blueish black colour on contact. Everything will need to be cleaned before I can work with leather in there again.

I was able to get a little more information about the sewing machine, The serial number was allocated on the 11th October 1949 in a batch of 5,000 to be made at the Clydebank factory in Scotland. It was made in 1950 for sale in 1951 which was Singers Centenary year this machine has the Centenary emblem on it.

The previous owner told me she had never used it, This may have been because the walking foot mechanism was seized 25mm above the bed along with a number of other issues. It took about 3 hours of cleaning to get the walking foot walking again. I fitted a new needle and it makes holes and the walking foot pulls leather through the machine as it is designed to. I need to wait for some parts to arrive before I can test the sewing.

Pictures to follow.

Lovely antique specimen of Singer.

I think, at the time it was purchased from the previous owner, or inherited, there might not have been service people going to homes, and it was way too heavy to transport anywhere.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Thanks Anne-Sophie Dust and debris was the cause of the seizure of the walking foot mechanism, I think at some point the wrong type of oil was used. A huge amount of WD40 had been applied to the machine in an attempt to free the mechanism. I continued this process but used a fine paint brush to apply it to the area around the walking foot. I am waiting for some parts to arrive and will update further when they arrive.

In order to accomodate these new machines I am reorganising my workshop so posts on the hot foil machine will be delayed a little.

I have finished 2 pen cases this week. Firstly a single pen case.

50311195091_e1f6d41e8d_c.jpg20200902_175039 by my0771, on Flickr

50311195946_818ca2905e_c.jpgIMG_20200904_220410_122 by my0771, on Flickr

A twin case for Emperors.

50311368127_96a7e12e3d_c.jpg20200902_213618 by my0771, on Flickr

50311195626_12eac535ae_c.jpgIMG_20200904_215726_855 by my0771, on Flickr

I have also started next weeks pen cases with a single case for a Montblanc M series fountain pen.

50310533293_ae709c3883_c.jpg2020-09-06_10-29-34 by my0771, on Flickr

I'm loving your old machines. I saw a similar sewing machine in Jordan a while back - the sole of one boot had torn off in Wadi Rum and I managed to find a cobbler who stitched the soles of both my walking boots firmly to the uppers for the equivalent of £1.50.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Thanks Anne-Sophie Dust and debris was the cause of the seizure of the walking foot mechanism, I think at some point the wrong type of oil was used. A huge amount of WD40 had been applied to the machine in an attempt to free the mechanism. I continued this process but used a fine paint brush to apply it to the area around the walking foot. I am waiting for some parts to arrive and will update further when they arrive.

In order to accomodate these new machines I am reorganising my workshop so posts on the hot foil machine will be delayed a little.

I have finished 2 pen cases this week. Firstly a single pen case.

50311195091_e1f6d41e8d_c.jpg20200902_175039 by my0771, on Flickr

50311195946_818ca2905e_c.jpgIMG_20200904_220410_122 by my0771, on Flickr

A twin case for Emperors.

50311368127_96a7e12e3d_c.jpg20200902_213618 by my0771, on Flickr

50311195626_12eac535ae_c.jpgIMG_20200904_215726_855 by my0771, on Flickr

I have also started next weeks pen cases with a single case for a Montblanc M series fountain pen.

50310533293_ae709c3883_c.jpg2020-09-06_10-29-34 by my0771, on Flickr

So beautiful and classy!

If I understand correctly, you are doing your leather work at home, not in the workshop, because of the steel wool.

Lots of work to clean up the workshop, then, setup the machines.

I can't wait to see all the wonderful items you repair, redo or make.

I think all the period film makers should seek you out for vintage or vintage looking items.

The Emperors pen case is really vintage and classic looking.

Thanks Anne-Sophie I was trying to make something that had rounded edges where my previous cases had lots of flat edges and straight sides.

Yes I am back to working in the house on my knee, not ideal :).

When I made the benches I used wood I already had it was the only time when I cut a corner. I ended up with storage space I could not use my desire to have a large flat area 2.4m x 1m also meant I could not reach the walls for shelves. Rather than cleaning up I have pulled everything apart cutting up the existing benches and remaking them. It will now be a galley style with benches down either side the sewing machine will now sit along the back wall.

Pictures to follow.