Making A Pen Case

my63

You are creating mosters, lol. Now I want to go buy tools and leather! Ugh!! :D

Thanks for the link. He's a great teacher!

I've been doing leatherwork for a short time now, but I haven't ventured into cases yet. If you want more info on the hobby, tools, materials, etc, check out this forum:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/

Also, for making cases, I would suggest you start with this book by Al Stohlman:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Leather-Cases-Vol/dp/1892214946

There are 3 books in the series, but you really need the first one for the basic concepts that are used in the other 2. I've got vol 1 in hard copy, and the e-book version of the other 2.

You can also check out your closest Tandy Leather Factory for books, patterns, supplies, tools & classes. I'm not sure where you are in TX, but there are a few locations.

"Over the Mountain

Of the Moon

Down the Valley of the Shadow

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied,

"If you seek for Eldorado." - E. A. Poe

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tandy is in Ft. Worth. I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth. :D ROAD TRIP!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Tandy is in Ft. Worth. I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth. :D ROAD TRIP!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

I hope that you do decide to have a go.

My own experience is limited however I will help in any way that I can.

I have started working on a new multi pen case so far it looks like this

15222655872_6e5d6d138e_z.jpgIMG_8596_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Not much I know but it gives you all a chance to guess what it may be it will be based on something I have made recently.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

It is odd I know but I spent a long time looking at the round pen case I made for an FPG member that I have been trying to think of a good reason to make another one. although it is about one third of the size of the original

So from the rectangle of leather mentioned above we now have this

15051393069_b55eda760a_z.jpg

IMG_8598_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The idea is that the leather shell will offer protection and a simple pen wrap will separate the pens inside.

I am searching for suitable fabric for the wrap if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the input.

Oh, another round caddy....brilliant!!! What style wrap are you wanting the fabric for? Similar to those in the PIF? I was thinking maybe an upholstery fabric of some type. Sturdy as in not thin and can be quite classy looking!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I visit Tandy about twice a month. I do leatherworking as a hobby and have developed a fair amount of techniques for various projects. I have 3 projects in front of me at the moment but after they are done I will try my hand at some cases. Looking forward to it.

Your work is inspiring! I really appreciate the obvious care that you put into these cases and their creation, and I'm surely not the only one who has started hatching plans of making my own cases as a result.

I visit Tandy about twice a month. I do leatherworking as a hobby and have developed a fair amount of techniques for various projects. I have 3 projects in front of me at the moment but after they are done I will try my hand at some cases. Looking forward to it.

I hope that you will share your skills with us I would love to see what you are working on.

Your work is inspiring! I really appreciate the obvious care that you put into these cases and their creation, and I'm surely not the only one who has started hatching plans of making my own cases as a result.

Other than my need for physical therapy for my hand my reason for posting these projects is to encourage others to have a go themselves if I can help you in any way please feel free to ask

One thing that I've forgotten to ask, Michael.

What pricking iron / stitching chisel are you using? Who makes it and what is the spacing? 2mm, 3mm, 4mm?

Thanks

"Over the Mountain

Of the Moon

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied,

One thing that I've forgotten to ask, Michael.

What pricking iron / stitching chisel are you using? Who makes it and what is the spacing? 2mm, 3mm, 4mm?

Thanks

I would love to say that it is a Dixon pricking iron made in the UK but I am saving up for one of those so in the mean time I am using a set from china they are six stitches per inch I will be upgrading soon I hope as the Dixon ones have longer points.

Here is the current progress on this prototype I still need to practice the sewing of round tops and bottoms

15258215805_cdbf21088d_z.jpgIMG_8609_1 by my0771, on Flickr

If anyone wants to learn how to sew leather I learned by watching these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ygboFnHW0

Michael, do you use James needles and Tiger thread and if so, how do you know what size thread to use? (Yeah, the newbie is showing, lolol!)

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I do use John James no 2 or no 3 needles I started off using Linen thread 18/3

To start I asked the guy in the shop he recommended the 18/3 thread with no 3 needles it measures 0.5 mm in diameter.

I have used some tiger thread but it is only available in 500m spools or 50 m cards from ebay I mm is too large I am about to try 0.6mm which is closer to the 18/3 thread size.

My oak to make a copy of Nigel's 90 degree stitching pony has arrived I ended up with more than double what I needed :)

Brilliant tool!!! It took my hubby 5 years to finish the d*** tile in the utility room, so scared to ask if he'll make me one of those. I could expire be he gets 'round to it, lol. Great tool!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

LOL! I appreciate the thought! Very kind, but I'll make him create one for me. He needs something to do anyway, lol.

I need to get tools before I can do anything, anyway.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I would love to say that it is a Dixon pricking iron made in the UK but I am saving up for one of those so in the mean time I am using a set from china they are six stitches per inch I will be upgrading soon I hope as the Dixon ones have longer points.

My understanding is the Dixon irons do not have longer points. They require the use of an awl to actually punch the holes. The iron just lays out the holes. If you want a quality stitching chisel, the ones from goodsjapan are supposed to be the best. They have the long teeth to punch all the way through multiple layers of leather. I haven't tried them yet, but they are highly reviewed over on the leatherwork forum I frequent.

I think that is what the difference is supposed to be between a pricking iron & a stitching chisel. The iron is used to mark, the chisel is meant to punch all the way through. But, it seems that the terms have become somewhat ambiguous now.

http://www.goodsjapan.jp/category/pricking-irons-stitch-punch/catId=4252442

"Over the Mountain

Of the Moon

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied,

It took me a while to read all the way through this thread. You do excellent work Michael. I have been kicking around the idea of making a fabric pen wrap and you have inspired me to start planning one, if it goes well I might make some as christmas presents for my daughters.

Leatherwork is a bit beyond my reach at the moment but I would like to tackle it eventually.

Thanks Christi

I think leatherwork is closer to woodwork than working in material member Alc3261 made some excellent wraps and shared her methods in a thread on pen wraps I will find the thread and edit it in later.

Are you going to the pen show in Dallas I know Texas is a big State I think the red case is going to be there.