Just Wondering... Are Nakaya Pens Really Worth It?

kalum

Craftsmanship, in order to be truly appreciated, requires a certain knowledge of the craft itself -- what goes in to making a pen, etc.. Nakaya pens are widely considered to be pens more crafted than made. Sculptured rather than manufactured. If that appeals to you, great. If you prefer a more utilitarian appearance, great.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• httpmom

• Vpen

• Mickey

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craftsmanship, in order to be truly appreciated, requires a certain knowledge of the craft itself -- what goes in to making a pen, etc.. Nakaya pens are widely considered to be pens more crafted than made. Sculptured rather than manufactured. If that appeals to you, great. If you prefer a more utilitarian appearance, great.

Thanks that definitely makes sense. I was asking more from the writability perspective. Just checked their website, they do customization according to your writing style so guess that would make Nakaya better writers. What say?

Dear all,

Hope your good. To any of you who have pens by Nakaya, I was wondering if you could help explain why these pens are held in such high esteem. In the UK, I have never seen anyone with one of these so have never had a chance to try one. Are they simply beautiful to look at or do their nibs in terms of writing experience justify their price, even over manufacturers like pilot and sailor?

I saw a video about the painstaking methods employed in their manufacture, so I can appreciate the costs but I would me more inclined if along with this, their nibs were a particular pleasure to use. Is this in your opinion so?

Thank you.

Kalum,

you have posted some interesting questions. I will try to address them from my personal experience.

I have 4 Nakayas ( 3 piccolo and 1 portable writer). Do I like my Nakays? Yes definitely. Do I like them all equally? No

I also like (some more, some similar and some less) my Sailors, Namikis, Montblancs, Pilot, Parker, Cross, Heros and last but not least a Ganguan.

Is the Nakaya nib justify their price in writing experience? A big NO. So are any other expensive pens

Purely in terms of nib performance I have much cheaper pens (straight out of box) that write just as well and even better. Believe me or not my $5 Ganguan and $20 Hero 9660 writes just as well. So you want a pen that just writes well buy a $5 pen. Is the tailoring of he nib at production that big a deal? You can get any pen tweaked to your writing style for $50. Also just because it is tuned to your writing description doesn't mean that it will arrive perfect 100% of the time. Murphy's law.

Now some "intangibles" all these pens write well but are they different? Yes. They all have their own character. Question is what is your preference. Is the difference worth it?

I guess the writing experience is made up of other characteristics as well. Girth, weight and balance. I am sure you can find a cheap pen that has similar characteristics for a fraction of the price

Quality and finish. Yes they are handmade and of high quality. So are lots of "branded pens" Is it that much better made. I don't think so. I have heard Hero pens being berated for poor quality. Not the ones I have (note that there are many fakes around and the cheaper ones do have quality issues). Having said that how can anyone compare a $5 Hero with a Parker 51 or a Montblanc that cost multiples of that pen. Does it require white gloves handling? It's just a pen to be used to write. Friends have commented that it is nice and so is a resin pen. So if you don't know the difference you can't really tell

Some commented on its status symbol. What status symbol? Show 100 non FPN member and see what percentage have heard of it. If you want status symbol buy a Montblanc - everybody knows it.

Snob appeal - heaps of this. You have something unique, handmade, maybe personalized. You know you have bought quality. Does it matter if other's don't know? Do we buy items to please ourselves or do we buy an item to please others or to get complimented by others? I think it is a situation of "those who don't know don't matter", I bought it for my personal pleasure.

Is it that expensive? It is expensive but not really that much in the broader sense. A fully handmade pen that is cheaper than an equivalent offering from (mass produced pens) like Montblanc, Pelikan, Omas, Montegrappa and other famous brands. From that angle it is probably good value for money.

Strange things to say about a Pen that I own 4 of?

I guess my point is, if we are honest with ourselves none of these expensive pens (and other men's toys) are not worth their price from a practical point of view.

My fellow FPNers, fellow collectors and pen lovers, put your hand on your heart and answer this - don't we very often buy things because:

-it gives us a good feeling

-status symbol

-aesthetical attraction

-snob appeal

and then justify it with practical reasons? Nothing wrong with buying what we like and we should not feel guilty about it.

So Kalum if you value all its attributes above any other brand then it is value for money. If you don't then find another brand than does it for you.

I like variety get great pleasure writing with each and ever pen that I own. whatever brand. Some have hard nibs, others softer. Big nibs, small nibs, steel nibs and gold nibs. Fat pens and thin pens. Light pens and heavy pens. Cheap Pens and expensive pens.

Funny thing is every time that I feel that I have the best pen in my hands and when I put it down and use another pen I discover something different in the pen and discover that it is just as pleasurable to write with - in its own way

Hope I have not threaded on a hornet's nests with this frank personal experience. For the above comments I apologise to those who are 100% logical and practical in their choice of pens for I certainly am not.

So why did I buy 4 Nakayas? They looked pretty and I could not walk away from it. A considered impulse purchase (LOL if there is such a thing)

Quite simply. With pens its all about the desire and the love and those two things are enough to make any pen worth it as generally pens are overpriced however looking at the materials used and the craftsmanship i would say they are worth it in monetry terms.

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

Quite simply. With pens its all about the desire and the love and those two things are enough to make any pen worth it as generally pens are overpriced however looking at the materials used and the craftsmanship i would say they are worth it in monetry terms.

Agreed. I would also add that Nakayas blend and balance functionality with aesthetics in a way that is extremely pleasing to a certain sensibility. And as urushi pens go they are, in fact, relatively affordable.

I think it depends on perspective also. Because pens are priced this way in US people find them well priced. Consider India where the starting fountain pen is like Rs 35 ($0.55), with two big ink cartridges and a 50ml bottle of good quality ink like Camlin Kokuyo costs Rs. 15 ($0.23). A better pen costs Rs. 100 ($1.55), Parker Beta costs Rs. 150 ($2.35), Parker Quink costs $1.5 for 30 ml.

If you say that the cheapest pen from Nakaya is $350 = (INR 22500) then it's like 600 times the price of a Classmate pen with iridium tip.

Is it fine to say that some people justify the product by its price. Is there any philosophy study on that :). My opinion though.

http://i.imgur.com/O9Bwy1B.jpg

Edited by Vpen

I think it depends on perspective also. Because pens are priced this way in US people find them well priced. Consider India where the starting fountain pen is like Rs 35 ($0.55), with two big ink cartridges and a 50ml bottle of good quality ink like Camlin Kokuyo costs Rs. 15 ($0.23). A better pen costs Rs. 100 ($1.55), Parker Beta costs Rs. 150 ($2.35), Parker Quink costs $1.5 for 30 ml.

If you say that the cheapest pen from Nakaya is $350 = (INR 22500) then it's like 600 times the price of a Classmate pen with iridium tip.

Is it fine to say that some people justify the product by its price. Is there any philosophy study on that :). My opinion though.

Good point. I absolutely agree. At times in my life I couldn't afford a dollar movie--and a pen like a Nakaya would have been an absolutely impossible, self-destructive luxury. So perspective is everything.

Edited by LuckyKate

VPen:

I am curious. How much do Ranga or Gama ebonite pens sell for in India? Or is that a trade secret?

That's interesting as I see them regularly on eBay at prices from $50-$100. Clearly knowing the right people helps!

I have bought some super comfortable shoes over the years for next to nothing. They have lasted well and never gave me blisters. Yet I often choose to wear some of my better looking much more expensive and slightly less comfortable pairs, forsaking functionality in favor of the aesthetics.

I also own several watches, and my $10 quartz beater keeps better time that my lovely and much more expensive Orient Star Retrograde. As the beauty and a sense of craftsmanship appeal to me, I wear the very functional beater when I am working in the yard, and the OSR when I put on those expensive shoes...

:-)

Edited by Pendel

I always wonder why do people say Nakayas are very good writers. They have Platinum nibs so shouldn't they be equally good writers?

I would think so. I hadn't tried Platinum pens before Nakaya had its hooks in me. Nakaya is my favorite, because the pens are functionally and aesthetically the most pleasing to me. I do appreciate that the pens are handmade, and I love the urushi (kuro-, heki-, shiro-tamenuri and unpolished shu -- I just love those plain finishes without clips).

If I didn't care about the urushi (how it looks), I'm sure that I would like a Platinum pen, especially at the lower cost.

The Piccolo is my favorite. Just feels perfect in my hand.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Are Nakayas worth it? If you appreciate a work of exquisite craftsmanship that borders on art, then yes. The are works of near-perfection. Understated elegance with high functionality. And the "feel" of each model is so very distinctive. Yes, the writing is the most essential thing, and one can do that well or poorly for under $100, but there is secret pleasure in the pen itself: secret in that few to none will ever recognize the work of art that you are holding or carrying, pleasure in the feather lightness and balance and in hitting the "sweet spot".

How many do I have? Seven at the moment, as well as some Platinums.

The only European pen which gives me as much pleasure is an Auroro.

Are Nakayas worth it? If you appreciate a work of exquisite craftsmanship that borders on art, then yes. The are works of near-perfection. Understated elegance with high functionality. And the "feel" of each model is so very distinctive. Yes, the writing is the most essential thing, and one can do that well or poorly for under $100, but there is secret pleasure in the pen itself: secret in that few to none will ever recognize the work of art that you are holding or carrying, pleasure in the feather lightness and balance and in hitting the "sweet spot".

How many do I have? Seven at the moment, as well as some Platinums.

The only European pen which gives me as much pleasure is an Aurora.

Q. Are <insert luxury items of your choice> worth it?
A. If you ask then you are not ready for one... yet.

unless the question becomes is a Nakaya compared to a Platinum Izumo worth it...

ideally they are the "same"

They are also at the same price point.

The thing about Nakayas (and I really enjoyed vam272's prose) is that a craftsman sat down and made it from scratch. These guys are cutting multi-start threads by hand. It's amazing skill, and preservation of tradition. That's what you're paying for. Is it worth it? It is to me.

Luxxotica CEO when asked why does he charge >$200 for sunglasses which cost him a fraction of that price to make, famously said "The price of a product is what the customer is willing to pay.".

Edited by Vpen

Luxxotica CEO when asked why does he charge >$200 for sunglasses which cost him a fraction of that price to make, famously said "The price of a product is what the customer is willing to pay.".

I think that was the Montblanc CEO... ;)