My (Heavily Personalised) Midori Traveler's Notebook - Pics!

Centopar

Very impressive. The idea of the TN is awesome, I just didn't realize it was really a THING. I have different notebooks scattered around for various uses but I think I would have trouble carrying one around everywhere.

Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Centopar

• robynsnest

• Ted A

...I would have trouble carrying one around everywhere.

It's one of the few benefits of giant-handbag ownership. Find yourself in need of a sticking plaster, an aspirin, a small bottle of ink, a tissue, a chocolate nib, a stack of business cards, a Kindle, a wallet, a lipstick, a USB drive or a pair of sunglasses? They're all in there...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this. I never really understood what made the Midori notebooks special until I saw this, and then I went and investigated them more on Goulet Pens, and now I'm thinking I'll probably get the passport size for my birthday in March. My Field Notes just aren't doing it for me for fountain pen use. They look messy, and not in a cool way. It's a shame the passport size doesn't seem to offer the super-thin Japanese paper. I'm still torn between the regular brown one and the special edition camel one.

Do you like the performance of the basic Midori paper with your pens?

Your TN bursts with productivity and character and, quite frankly, makes me feel a bit lazy. ;)

Also, it's really cool that you keep the jade piece on the front to think of your husband. Thanks again for sharing something so personal.

Wow, I really like your setup and beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing.

I have been thinking about using something similar as I always have so many different notebooks for different uses and loose papers flying about my bag. Though I love the Midori concept I am looking into getting something which will fit Dina5 and/or dina6 inserts. But I do love the stickers and clips, will certainly look into getting those for mine too!

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

I've been meaning to post pictures of my Traveler's Notebook for ages now, but I found myself putting it off. I realised why: my MTN is one of the most personal things I own. It's always within arm's length, I use it several times a day, and I feel kind of shy sharing it with you - but I keep saying I'm going to, so here it is.

fpn_1383147717__mtnside.jpg

What pen is that? It's GORGEOUS!! Love your personalized TN by the way. I love seeing others' TNs.

I couldn't figure out how to post a pic so I am putting links here to my TN with a custom leather zip pouch. It came from ToBoldyFold an etsy shop. She does amazing work (no affiliation).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44502393@N03/10951566545/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44502393@N03/10951736264/

Also come visit the TN flickr page for more drool worthy photos and customization ideas.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/travelernotebook/pool/

Hi Centopar

Your notebook looks fantastic I wonder if you would mind helping me, I am looking at making my own cover along a similar design and would like to know what changes you would make if you were to make one.

For example I would add a little more width to protect the edges of the inserts.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

@robynsnest: it's a 1930s Parker Challenger with a Greg Minuskin customised 1.3mm stub nib. I love it; it's never out of rotation.

@my36: I'd add width so I could fit...even more (bleep) inside. (And also to protect the edges of the inserts.) :D I really can't think of any other changes I'd make to the TN; it's become a bit of a third arm for me.

No. If I wanted one I would have bought the Midori clip-on one. As it is, I always have at least five pens in a roll in my bag; I prefer to keep them separate, and I like to have the choice. But I don't think that's necessarily a typical preference!

Hi Centopar

Your notebook looks fantastic I wonder if you would mind helping me, I am looking at making my own cover along a similar design and would like to know what changes you would make if you were to make one.

For example I would add a little more width to protect the edges of the inserts.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Michael

Hi Michael,

There are several threads relating to making one's own. Here's mine:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/240062-homemade-travellers-notebook/?hl=midori

A little more width would be good. But watch our for too much extra because the elastic for holding it closed will tend to crease the leather a bit if the inserts aren't holding the cover open on the edge.

Consider moving the closure elastic to the spine.

You might think about adjusting the size to accomodate refills. Here in the US we use 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper most. If folded vertically and then the bottom is cut off, one can make a refill that is (roughly) 4 1/2 inches x 8 1/2 inches. It's 2 mm narrower than the Midori, unnoticeable. And when you put serveral pages together to make a cahier, the width creeps out a little unless you cut it back.

I've concluded that I don't like the string bookmarks. Nice paperclips or page markers work better for me. The strings just get in the way. Though that does reduce, somewhat, the ability to hang charms off of them.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Awesome notebook, very inspirational!
I've been trying to keep a notebook of my own but I never keep up with it.

I love the different inks you used and your collection of scraps (if I may call them that).

You most certainly may call them scraps - it's exactly what they are! (It's slightly sad, really: I save up magazines and have a big session cutting bits out of them every fortnight. Right now I'm trying to find space to fit a big picture of Napoleon on a horse around diary entries...)

This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. I understand about the personal nature of journals and planners. But thank you. I am waiting for my Midori TN to arrive in the mail, and your post and photos are so inspirational!

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would share my latest acquisitions with you hope the op does not mind.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3786/12103549656_8793cb2e90_o.jpg

IMG_6397_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Tibetan silver but I did buy them from eBay so who knows but I like them and they fit the elastic cord perfectly.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63