My (Heavily Personalised) Midori Traveler's Notebook - Pics!

Centopar

I've been meaning to post pictures of my Traveler's Notebook for ages now, but I found myself putting it off. I realised why: my MTN is one of the most personal things I own. It's always within arm's length, I use it several times a day, and I feel kind of shy sharing it with you - but I keep saying I'm going to, so here it is.

fpn_1383147419__mtn.jpg

The charm is a jade bottle gourd my husband bought me on honeymoon a decade ago. It's supposed to symbolise longevity and good luck, and it makes me think of him when I fiddle with it. It's designed to be tied onto a thread, like a bead with no hole.

fpn_1383147717__mtnside.jpg

There's a craft card envelope, the plastic zip envelope, free diary, plain notebook and squared notebook in there.

fpn_1383147841__mtnbookmarks.jpg

I use another jade charm (a tiny one) as the bookmark for my diary, and a piece of grosgrain ribbon whose ends I sealed with a lighter as the bookmarks for the two notebooks.

fpn_1383147952__craftfront.jpg

My name, email and phone number are the first thing you see when you open it, in case I lose it (under the bit of washi - like I said, I'm shy, so I'm hiding them in these photos). I drew the tree and used Midori stickers for the leaves and bird. The paperclip is also a Midori one; there are several scattered through there, and they often come in handy. I also have some tiny bulldog clips on there, which I find myself using surprisingly often for all kinds of things.

fpn_1383148096__craftinside.jpg

I keep my business cards, blotting paper and stickers in the craft pocket. I live in the UK but travel a lot for work, and I keep emergency US dollars (and coins, which I should remove because they make it bumpy - I just dropped those in there last week at an airport) in the plastic envelope. I haven't moved anything out of there for the photo, and what you see's pretty representative: emergency cash, business cards (including John "Oxonian" Sorowka's card, which I'm sure many of you also have - Greg Minuskin's is floating around in there somewhere too), and work receipts. The back side of the craft pocket is kept (mostly) empty so I can use it for passports and airline tickets when I need to. If I'm away from home, passports live in there. If I'm at home they live in a box on my desk.

fpn_1383148329__freediarycover.jpg

Free diary cover.

fpn_1383148372__alexander.jpg

Plain notebook cover (I made a blot when I was labelling this, so I stuck this picture over it).

fpn_1383148430__worknotescover.jpg

Work notes cover - more Midori stickers.

Midori stickers aren't the only things I stick in there.

fpn_1383148491__sticky1.jpg

fpn_1383148526__sticky2.jpg

fpn_1383148559__sticky3.jpg

Whenever I finish a diary page and there's some space on it, something tends to get glued into the spaces.

I really don't know what I'd do without my Traveler's Notebook. The flexibility suits me down to the ground, I like that it just looks better the more I beat it up. It's become a friend: it's ended up with a lot of personality of its own. I use it as a place to braindump, a place to think, and a place to play with pretty things (and to test inks and mess around with my pens). I can't imagine being without it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Centopar

• English John

• RMN

Are these woodpeckers stickers? Or did you draw them yourself

If stickers: Where to get them?

I'm interested, as we have our own couple of Great spotted woodpeckers in the garden.

My avatar is one of their offspring....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Excellent! Thanks for posting. I assume the jade bottle gourd is secure with just a waistband. I'd hate for you to lose it!

@RMN: They're Midori stickers - I got them at The Journal Shop (this is them), and I've also seen them on Amazon. I can't draw to save my life, so stickers are very handy!

Edited by Centopar

Excellent! Thanks for posting. I assume the jade bottle gourd is secure with just a waistband. I'd hate for you to lose it!

It is; they're designed to be held by a piece of silk cord (which is how I wore it for years), and actually I find the elastic is even more secure. (Believe me, I'd hate to lose it too!)

That is absolutely outstanding - I only wish my journals looked like that with use. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Oh, there's a journal/notebook to inspire - and make me think I want a Midori (again). Thank you for being brave and sharing it; not least because it's reminded me to use "gubbins" more frequently in every day conversation.

Cheers, Al

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing. I've been contemplating getting a Midori TN, and now I think it may just happen

@RMN: They're Midori stickers - I got them at The Journal Shop (this is them), and I've also seen them on Amazon. I can't draw to save my life, so stickers are very handy!

Thanks, I'll see what I can do at Amazon.

It seems no Midori for sale in Dutch shops.....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

A wonderful companion for travel and home you have there!

My notebook is also filled with every kind of ephemera you can imagine... including a chinese cookie ticket like the one you show in the pics... ans passports (yeah, in plural, like yours)

I also had a packet of marine animals Midori stickers, but my little daughter grabbed them all.

Thanks for sharing. Yours is an inspiring post.

So, so beautiful! I can't believe the gorgeous things people do with these! My notebooks are always an ugly mess, never this kind of pretty :( So I am really grateful that you all would post this stuff so I get to admire these and be inspired by them even though I can't make it myself!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Do you carry paste with you or something to secure the little things in your notebook (like the fortune cookie fortune and such)?

Thanks! :)

Do you carry paste with you or something to secure the little things in your notebook (like the fortune cookie fortune and such)?

Thanks! :)

I do: I keep a PVA glue pen in my pen wrap with my FPs.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do at Amazon.

It seems no Midori for sale in Dutch shops.....

D.ick

There are several Dutch stores that sell Midori; At least two brick & mortar in Amsterdam (de Vlieger and Thursday Next) as well as Miscellaneous online.

Those are quite expensive though; it would be cheaper to order them from the Journal Shop in the UK, or even from Pencils.jp in Japan.

I am still very much in love with my Midori, I would not be without it.

Centopar, thank you so much for sharing the pictures of yours!

It looks beautiful and well-loved, very inspirational. :)

I do: I keep a PVA glue pen in my pen wrap with my FPs.

:) Very nice. I had been wanting to carry something with me to do the same, but never thought of a glue pen.

A Very nice used Midori! Just like how mine is getting. I totally 'get' the reason as to why you have take a while to post pictures of it too. I too am 'shy' about my Midori, it is very personal to me as well so I can see why you did that. I took ages before I posted pictures of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this -- it's very inspiring

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...