Suggestions For A New Fun Looking Color?

GMYoussef

I was wondering if there are any fun, lively looking ink that you guys would suggest? Not necessarily bright, I want to be able to read it easily, I just dont want it to be a bore to look at. Aside from that my only preferences are no iron gall, it has to perform well on most paper (im a student, I tend to use some bad paper at times), waterproof isn't a big deal but I guess it's a plus, and it has to be easy to clean (this is the most important). So what is your favorite lively ink? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• GMYoussef

• VillersCotterets

• Mickey

Being a student myself, I was surprised to find out that green is actually very easy to the eyes.

I use Parker Quink green because it's easily available here, but I guess Waterman green would be just as nice.

I also quite like Noodler's burgundy, but I used it extendedly over the last two months and kind of got bored of it. I think 'll put it aside for a while..

Oh, just remembered Waterman Violet!!! now, that's a cool ink!!

Thanks for the suggestions, ill check them out! One of the inks I currently have is diamond steel blue, which oddly enough is more of a green, so I see what you mean by it being easy on the eyes

Hi,

Perhaps a bright-eyed Blue, such as Sailor Sky High? Or something warmer, such as Diamine Damson?

Perhaps not at the upper reaches on the 'Fun Scale', but for student work, readability is the overriding factor.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks! I quite like the look of sky high. Also, out of curiosity, do any of you shake your inks before using them?

I use Sheaffer turquoise as my fun ink. It is bright and cheery.

But you need to use at least a M nib to get the ink line wide enough to stand out against the paper.

I used to use a similar color in grade school, Sheaffer's Peacock blue.

I use Waterman green, but I would not call it a fun color, just a nice color.

I switched to it as my primary personal ink. I got tired of blue and black.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I enjoy Diamine Wild Strawberry, the red is vibrant but it dries with a slightly darker outer edge. I also like their Blaze Orange, but perhaps in more limited amounts.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

Thanks! I quite like the look of sky high. Also, out of curiosity, do any of you shake your inks before using them?

A fun color is Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit, and yes, I shake my ink. I prefer it shaken, not stirred.

Edited by Nicolas_Rieussec

How about Sailor Grenade? It's a pretty unique color. Even though I've never been able to convince myself to buy a bottle, I find myself checking out a sample I have now and then.

If it isn't too expensive for you, I would suggest Pelikan Edelstein Topaz. Bright blue and it has very good water resistance.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Thanks for the suggestions, ill check them out! One of the inks I currently have is diamond steel blue, which oddly enough is more of a green, so I see what you mean by it being easy on the eyes

A green is always good - though check your teacher/professor/etc doesn't dark in green and that s/he won't make off with your cartridges

Waterman Purple looks good on the page.

And it passes the 'serious' test too - even my stricter profs let me write in purple. I also use brown, blue, and a teal-y colour from J Herbin but I forget what it's called...

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

I don't know why you would eliminate IG inks from consideration. Modern IG for fountain pens probably present less risk to pens than some of the ultra saturated inks made by a few of the usual suspects. R&K Scabiosa (grey/mauve) is a subtly fun ink. Difficult to describe, it would be a pity not to consider it. (I have kept various IG inks in at least one of my carry pens for years with absolutely no problems.)

A conventional ink with similar subtlety is Stipula Verde Moschiato (Musk Green). Depending on the pen width and wetness, it ranges from not quite black, to not quite green, to not quite greenish brown. It's a classy color, quiet enough to not raise too many eyebrows.

If you want to raise eyebrows, try Iroshizuku Yama-budo (Crimson Glory Vine). It jumps off the page on white papers, but calms to pleasantly lively on buff or off-white paper. From the same manufacturer, you might consider Ama-iro (Sky Blue), which is pale enough not be mistaken for standard blue but lively enough to act as a good change of pace ink.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/slides/2013-FADE_133.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/slides/2013-FADE_139.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/slides/2013-FADE_152.jpg