Why A Parker 51?

sandy101

Could have been a nice thread about the merits of the Parker 51. Became quite unpleasant.

Should inaccuries go unchecked?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Blade Runner

• Florida Blue

• pajaro

Should inaccuries go unchecked?

Did I say that?

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

Why a Parker 51? For one thing, some fun can be had over the years as you learn about how to take the pen apart and then find parts you can add to give the pens more color: fantasy 51 shells, barrels and caps.

fpn_1490033680__img_20170320_140626.jpg

fpn_1490033811__img_20170320_140656.jpg

fpn_1490033871__img_20170320_140705.jpg

Now, is this still quite unpleasant? This is a good reason to pursue the 51. You never know also when you might find a plum masquerading as something else.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

no matter how much you try to destroy your p51 I you would struggle to be unable to find a replacement part and particularly with the aero - you could probably repair it yourself too and if you really did want to be rid of it, you would be unlucky to actually lose any money unless you paid a truly outrageous price for it in the first place.

Tony

My father gave me a used Parker 51 Vacuumatic in 1955. I was quite young at that time. It still looks really good. The Lucite plastic has lasted all of these years even though there were some of the years it was out of service because I did not know if the diaphragm could be replaced. I have replaced the diaphragm a number of times due to the fact that it deteriorates because of the ink. I have to say that it is the best pen that I own. It can almost pass for mint condition according to a pen repairman. It writes like a dream and never leaks. I do treasure this pen because it has given me excellent service, and it was something that my father gave me. The Parker 51 is not over-rated. The Parker 51 Aerometric has less maintenance than the Vacuumatic. The Aerometric is a wonderful pen too.

• 3 weeks later...

My first experience with a P51 was... not so pleasant. Back in the day when I was starting on FPs and got introduced to FPN there were a number of very vocal P51 proponents (OldGriz among others...). Anyway, I bought one from the local fleabay (Aerometric) but it had some issues. As in, the ink flow was abysmal and thus I never got it to write properly. I tried cleaning it but somehow just forgot about it for a year or two (or five). My interests around those times revolved around the rOtring 600 and later, vintage Pelikans. Flexy nibs were "a thing" too.

Then, a few years ago I chanced upon another one (from the said fleabay) and it was quite a different story altogether. :) It had the most lovely stubby and luscious M/B nib with excellent ink flow. Now this is what it should be like! :) Really, that pen charmed my socks off. I have since gotten a bunch of others, another lovely stub (that and the first one are my absolute favorites when it comes to more firm point pens), a needlepoint EF 51 Special etc. Some hits, some misses. Got a Vacumatic too that I got from here but I never seemed to get along with it (nice stubbish nib on it though).

Anyway, at some point I ran them side by side with my Pelikan 100Ns and 140s and the thing that got me off of using them in my rotation was the fact that given the same usage patterns as the Pelikans the P51s ran out of ink faster or became hard starters. That said, this most likely has a lot to do with the ink I use (a mix of Montblanc Blue Black, Caran d'Ache Hypnotic Turquoise and distilled water...). If I used just plain vintage Quink in the P51s those issues would most likely not be present.

Hmmm, time to fill some of the P51s for some Sunday scribling fun, methinks :)

I have six 51s in front of me. Two are inked. The other four were flushed today after use for the last neary two months. Others - around 110 - are safely stored in pouches.

I don't know why but inking 51s, writing with them and flushing/cleaning them bring me so much joy. I don't get that joy and happiness even from my MB 149 and 146s - the two other pens that I like. The pre 1965 pelikans are the only pens that I like and compare with my 51s in that using these give me the same joy and happiness that the 51s give me.

Khan M. Ilyas

Wow, now that is a collection of 51s! :D

I don't know why but inking 51s, writing with them and flushing/cleaning them bring me so much joy. I don't get that joy and happiness even from my MB 149 and 146s - the two other pens that I like. The pre 1965 pelikans are the only pens that I like and compare with my 51s in that using these give me the same joy and happiness that the 51s give me.

Hear, hear! Post war 100/101N and 140 are my absolute favorite pens but the Parker 51 Aerometric is pretty much on par with those... durable, functional, self service friendly. You can see the engineers and designers intent carried out to a T. Aesthetically pleasing too, with a discreet, understated elegance and balance/proportions that many pens withmuch much higher price tags fail to meet.

• 1 year later...

Parker 51's are trash. They have an ugly, hooded nib, of which only usually comes in one size, an extra fine scratchy nail. The material is only comparable to that of a cheap acrylic pen, and crazes up the second it touches alcohol (cracks). The clip isn't even spring loaded, the cap finishes are easily worn off, the Vacumatic filling system only lasts for a few years, and the darn pens aren't even that affordable!

This is my last bid at trying to lower eBay prices, contact me if you want to sell your "51" to me now. :ninja:

Parker 51's are trash. They have an ugly, hooded nib, of which only usually comes in one size, an extra fine scratchy nail. The material is only comparable to that of a cheap acrylic pen, and crazes up the second it touches alcohol (cracks). The clip isn't even spring loaded, the cap finishes are easily worn off, the Vacumatic filling system only lasts for a few years, and the darn pens aren't even that affordable!

This is my last bid at trying to lower eBay prices, contact me if you want to sell your "51" to me now. :ninja:

I would rather like to snatch from you that gold filled 51 cap that you have in your spares box. :)

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I would rather like to snatch from you that gold filled 51 cap that you have in your spares box. :)

I actually just picked it up from Etsy. They have a ton of spare parts, Newhaven tools, and random stuff there. I might be keeping that one becau- HEY! NO! I already said, Parker 51's are trash! and they look and feel good and write great.

Are you solely looking for gold-filled caps? I have a spare Lustraloy cap that I don't care about. Gold filled caps are hard to come by, especially with the chevron band. As of now, I only have caps that I would either use every day or keep as part of my collection (other than the aforementioned Lustraloy). I believe there is another GF cap listed on Etsy for $35, though you have to do some digging as the algorithm for searching is funky. Keep an eye out for buy-it-now deals there, I believe I saw a double jewel mistaken for a different brand (company was engraved on) go for $60. I didn't like double jewels at the time, thought they were a bit overwhelming. Many sellers on Etsy will mistake P51 caps on a junk pen to be a Parker pen. Take a look at the one I bought. I'll PM you the link.

The "51" doesn't have to be for everyone (despite the desires of advertising executives, and irrelevant since production has ended long ago).

Try one. If you like it, buy it, or one similar.

There are sufficient original materials, colors and caps to make life interesting....

http://i68.tinypic.com/i3e39t.jpg

Or you can find/have made custom pens to your personal preferences.....

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lm9zrd.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2s9ow10.jpg

I actually just picked it up from Etsy. They have a ton of spare parts, Newhaven tools, and random stuff there. I might be keeping that one becau- HEY! NO! I already said, Parker 51's are trash! and they look and feel good and write great.

Are you solely looking for gold-filled caps? I have a spare Lustraloy cap that I don't care about. Gold filled caps are hard to come by, especially with the chevron band. As of now, I only have caps that I would either use every day or keep as part of my collection (other than the aforementioned Lustraloy). I believe there is another GF cap listed on Etsy for $35, though you have to do some digging as the algorithm for searching is funky. Keep an eye out for buy-it-now deals there, I believe I saw a double jewel mistaken for a different brand (company was engraved on) go for $60. I didn't like double jewels at the time, thought they were a bit overwhelming. Many sellers on Etsy will mistake P51 caps on a junk pen to be a Parker pen. Take a look at the one I bought. I'll PM you the link.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/335108-parker-51-gold-filled-cap-18/

Here you talked about trying getting rid of your gold filled cap. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Yeah but I changed my mind afterwards. I really like the looks of it on my new Vac now. Sorry, I don't really want to sell it. As I said before, gold filled caps are hard to come by, and I jealously guard all my "51"s.

Yeah but I changed my mind afterwards. I really like the looks of it on my new Vac now. Sorry, I don't really want to sell it. As I said before, gold filled caps are hard to come by, and I jealously guard all my "51"s.

:)

Khan M. Ilyas

Why a Parker 51? Hard to argue with success, with the best selling pen in its era. With the passion and love which many people have for a pen decades after its no longer made! It is an iconic pen, and beautifully made, performs so well, and has a fabulous design. It's my favorite pen, my go to pen, and I have almost every other brand of pen in my collection, and use them in rotation. However, my 51 always makes it into my case and goes to work with me.