Greetings from the Bay Area! I have now been living in the Bay Area for three years, relocating from my home town of Seattle. I became an enthusiast of fountain pens (and writing instruments in general) through the study of graphic design. I learned about the tools of the trade; the fountain pen was one of them. Several of my peers had used fountain pens and technical pens for illustrations, and I slowly became interested in them. I procured inexpensive Rotring models to start off and learned how to use them.

Later, as I progressed into Graphic Design, I found work at a family owned stationery store, Sab-Tec Stationers- owned by Sabah and Liesel Al-Haddad, that let me grow in my knowledge in fine writing instruments. I started selling art supplies and office products, but began to gravitate towards the Fine Writing Instruments. Soon I became extensively knowledgeable on all the writing instruments and became one of the top sales associates of fine pens in the store. I presented all the pens we had with enthusiasm- Cross, Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer, Namiki, Visconti, Lamy, Rotring, Aurora, and Recife- and many other brands and models. I purchased my own, as well as was rewarded with well-regarded fountain pens.

When I left to advance my career and education, my interest in fountain pens did not wane. I had inherited my father's and grandfather's pens, which were tucked away with their belongings. For a brief time, I drew with my father's Parker 51, but after a while, I decided to get my own pens to draw with for my own personal satisfaction. Thus my collecting resume. I bought an assortment of inexpensive and expensive fountain pens through the years, each being used for various projects and writing. Parker, Pilot/Namiki, and Sheaffer pens can usually be found on my person or on my desk, along with the many, many pens that I have accumulated from vendors and suppliers- roller balls, ball-points, mechanical pencils, etc.

I joined this network to touch base with the community and glean knowledge about products, opinions, and to fill in the gaps of my knowledge on fountain pen lore. I want to expand my knowledge on ink, paper, handwriting, calligraphy, and techniques. I would like to learn a bit on maintenance and repair as well. I hope to share the bits of knowledge I have on Fine Writing Instruments as well. Thank you all for letting me be part of the forum!

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tedd

• FarmBoy

• PAKMAN

• Keyless Works

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi and :W2FPN:

That's an impressive pen-résumé

You'll fit right in here at the Fountain Pen Nuthouse

Enjoy

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

So, welcome!

There's a local Pen Posse you can investigate. Meeting this Saturday in Santa Cruz, but often sighted in Millbrae, which is easy from the city on BART when they're not striking.

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Welcome !

What's to know ? A fountain pen has its own ink supply, and controls the leakage of ink onto the paper. Most of the fun, and the great people, are in the details.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thank you all for the warm greetings! I am going to try to keep tabs on this site every other week. I have a weekly blog at wordpress.com where I b.s. about being a transplant to San Francisco and other things. I also write about cartoons, comics, anime, and action movies. I am also looking for work here in the Bay Area, so I'm going to be quite busy. As I said, I hope to study and get information here, but I promise to share and post some of my opinions, thoughts, and ideas here as time allows.

Also thank you for the invitation to the Pen Posse in Santa Cruz. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it, but I would like to keep appraised of any events near me, so please, let me know! It is most appreciated!

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

Howdy Tedd. Greetings from just up the pike in Mendocino county and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us. :thumbup:

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network, glad to have you with us!

Regards,

Vincenzo

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Welcome from a plain vanilla newbie! I learn something every time I log in here.

VO

"Ravens play with lost time."

Keyless Works! We are both transplants from Seattle and are authors of blogs in Wordpress! Glad to meet you! Here is a link to my blog if you are interested in reading it: http://teddluke.wordpress.com/.

And continued thank yous for your greetings! Please feel free to check out my blog (one of several) if you are interested!

Keyless Works! We are both transplants from Seattle and are authors of blogs in Wordpress! Glad to meet you! Here is a link to my blog if you are interested in reading it: http://teddluke.wordpress.com/.

And continued thank yous for your greetings! Please feel free to check out my blog (one of several) if you are interested!

I don't blog. I have pens. We have a PPPC meeting at the Jelly Belly factory on the 16th. There will be cake.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.