Any Suggestions For Some Nice Green Inks?

rumbleroar

How about Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine? It's a nice all around green. It's on the "expensive" side, but might warrant a look for something different.

+1 to this. I recently got a sample and I absolutely love the color.

Another personal favorite is Diamine Sherwood Green, which ,you may be happy to hear, has some semi-decent golden sheen when it comes out of a wet nib on to good paper. It's also a wonderful shading ink.

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• RGH

• mhm802

• A144

Green fan here too.

Diamine Evergreen isn't as in-your-face as Sherwood and looks very dark from a wet pen, but still green.

Diamine Salamander is brown-green, great colour.

Diamine Graphite is grey with clear green undertone.

All very easy to rinse out. Good contrast. I found Evergreen is good for cheap paper from a dry nib.

Can't see any use of giving you the names of nice shading inks when you are using an XF.

With XF you need the neon, vivid monotone inks. Shading is much harder to see.

There are a number of inks that shade well with a regular flex F or M. Sometimes better than with more flexible nibs that are wetter due to their flex.

You need a big Fat F (M's work too.) for green-greens that shade, R&K Verdura, a nose in front of MB Irish, a neck in front of Pelikan 4001 Green.

DA's Moss Green is a nice spring moss shading ink, light and lively. I immagine in XF not vivid enough. Pretty nice in F though. OP didn't want lighter inks.

MB Winter Forest is worth the €30 a small bottle now costs. A limited ink from 2008&9. Not an every day ink at that price.

For Dark Green.

Pelikan Aventurine, did only average in my 9 green ink test. On a number of papers it feathers. On the right paper a very nice shading ink....again in an F.

Diamond Medow Green is the worst green I've ever used by far....fleathers, is murky dark...on good Gmund papers. 110, 120 &170g.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I like greens too.

My go to is Diamine Green Black for professional reasons.

However, Diamine Emerald and MB Irish Green are good too.

Worth a look a some of the sampling charts around for ideas.

Edited to add MB Jonathan Swift maybe of interest if you can get some.

Edited by da vinci

Chesterfield's Emerald ink.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

+1 on Sailor Epinard, and I'll also vote for Noodler's Sequoia.

On the lighter, bluer side, for a really unique color I'd try Pilot's Syo-Ro.

I have Noodler's Zhivago but find it too dark for my taste. It is a dark green. Reviews of it have always been great and it has a huge following. It is a well mannered ink, great flow and has permanent properties. Near bulletproof I recall.

I prefer Noodler's Army Air Corp, another in the dark green family. It has more variation in it, more color but still a serious ink for business or school. Again well mannered, great flow with permanent properties.

Diluting both inks 10-20% make for nice variations.

Check the reviews for both and maybe Gouletpens.com for comparing swabs.

Something that might make Diamine Sherwood Green (I don't find it so, but YMMV) less boring in your eyes is a wider nib than what you are currently using.

Appreciating the thread overall, as I'm on my own search for the next great green. But this sentence caught my eye; because I did exactly that this weekend (went from EF to F), and whoa baby! Like a whole new ink - and it's already a favorite.

Back to marking new samples to try... :)

Green ink is my favorite. I had a thread a while back about my search to match my favorite Pilot G2 green pen. I've ordered a handful of samples and it's turned more into a search great greens rather than to match one specific one. Here's my thoughts (and recommendations) so far:

J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage - Nice ink. I found it to be a bit on the yellow side of green, and not that dark in my Pilot Metropolitan. Really great shading. I will be getting a bottle of this at one point.

Noodler's Bad Green Gator - I didn't like this one at first, but it's really grown on me. Definitely green, but I find it to have a bit of grey in it. Hasn't been well behaved on cheap paper for me, but really no problems on good paper. It's definitely different.

Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel - I really nice true green with some shading. I could see this one being my daily green. I've actually already ordered bottle of it.

Montblanc Irish Green - I bit the bullet and bought a bottle of this without trying sample. I don't regret it all. What a gorgeous green ink. Another true green with some nice shading. I've only used it with a 1.1 stub though, so I don't know how it looks in a F or M...

So many inks, so little time...

This week I'm using Noodler's Zhivago and Diamine Meadow; the first is almost black, but the green is there and Meadow is a bright summery green. Last week Stipula Musk Green was all the rage.

You might want to take a look at this review. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/215599-30-green-inks-reviewed-part-2-writing-samples-and-performance/?&pid=2261668

Sorry, I can't seem to make that a live link

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I love PR Ebony Green, because to my eye it's about as green as you can get without being black.

I also mix PR DCSS Green with Ebony Green sometimes, so I get a nice dark emerald green that shades.

ken

Edited by loudkenny

I haven't tried that many green inks. My favorite right now is Alt Goldgrun. I am also currently looking for a new green the would work well on a XF nib.

I'm partial to medium greens and my favorites are:

Diamine Emerald

Diamine Beethoven

Herbin Lierre Sauvage

Montblanc Irish Green

I really like my private reserve spearmint for a bright vibrant green. For something more subtle and dark, I use noodlers zhivago.

+1 for Noodler's Green Marine. Great ink, one of my favorites, especially in finer nibs. It looks clearly green, while still being dark enough for professional use and to be readable page after page. Smooth, partially waterproof, easy to clean from the pen, shades even on paper that won't show shading from most inks.

ETA: It also is quite feather-resistant. I've used it on pretty awful paper and still had a nice clean line.

Edited by Prolix

Another vote for J Herbin Vert Empire, I also enjoy Stipula Verde Muschiato, does remind me of green moss, forests and jungles...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell