Any Suggestions For Some Nice Green Inks?

rumbleroar

Hey guys, I'm new to Inky Thoughts but I figure this is the place to go for ink recommendations. I have been using Diamine Sherwood Green for a while, and I love it, but I'm getting kind of bored. Green ink has become something of a signature of mine, and and I really want to stick with it, but I need something new. For context, I write with a XF vanishing point, and I typically use good paper, so while feathering is a concern, as long as it wouldn't make the line significantly thicker, it's not a huge issue.

I'm looking for medium to dark greens (has to be appropriate for school essays, letters, etc), and in multiple brands. I've only tried Waterman black and Diamine Sherwood before, but I want to branch out. That's why I'm here!

So what are some of your favorite green inks? Anyone know of some particularly nice emeralds, swamp greens, or dark greens? Or some of your favorite inks in general that you think are worth a try.

Thank you, as always,

Rumbleroar

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Scriptorium Pens

• elderberry

• FountainPenCowgirl

Sailor Epinard is a sure cure for Routine or boring greens

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Salamander!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

How about Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine? It's a nice all around green. It's on the "expensive" side, but might warrant a look for something different.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

diamine sherwood green is a nice dark green

i sometimes use it

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Montblanc Irish Green is a good one, as are Noodler's Zhivago and Private Reserve Avacado (sic) and Spearmint. What about some of the Kobe inks, specifically #1 (Rokko Green), #19 (Minatogawa Lime) and #34 (Sourakuen Tea Green). The new Diamine ink, Salamander, is also a really interesting murky greeny-brown

+1 on the PR Spearmint. Nice shading, well-behaved, not expensive.

Dark Green: Diamine Green-Black -- certainly fit for school essays

Swamp Green: Diamine Salamander, Stipula Verde Muschiato, Rhorer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun, De Atramentis Sahara Grey, maybe Ghost Green

Medium Greens: Diamine Unber, De Atramentis Mint Turquoise

Mysterious and Complex Green: Noodler's El Lawrence

Something that might make Diamine Sherwood Green (I don't find it so, but YMMV) less boring in your eyes is a wider nib than what you are currently using.

Noodler's Bad Green Gator is also a nice green. Somewhat lighter than the Diamine Sherwood Green.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

+1pelikan aventurine. I also prefer a fine or EF nib and it behaves beautifully. Also recommend Parker Penmanship emerald if you can find it.

+1 For J. Herbin Vert Empire. A very classy almost greyish green.

On the more expensive side is Iroshizuku Shin-ryoku. It's definitely on the blue side (especially when wet), but dries to a really beautiful green (I think). As with almost all the Iroshi inks, is is a very well behaved and nicely lubricated ink. Great for Fine's etc.

I also quite like Noodler's Green marine, which has the advantage of having a waterproof component (essential if you are as clumsy with drinks as I seem to be).

I'm having fun with Noodler's Bad Green Gator, which is a nice definite green that stays dark even when there isn't a lot of ink in the line. It does tend towards feathering a bit when I put a lot down at once (I have it in a flex pen right now), but is fine for regular use.

My go-to greens are both Noodler's: Green Marine (dark) and Gruene Cactus (light). Green Marine is partially waterproof, but Gruene Cactus behaves better on cheap paper. Both shade very nicely.

I'll see your Diamine Umber and raise you a Akkerman Bezuidenwoudgroen :)

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Hi,

I have a few green inks I really enjoy,

Pelikan Brilliant Green-a nice green with some blue undertones. One of my favorites

OMAS Green-a nice green with more yellow undertones

Diamine Jade-an apple green color

Diamine Soft Mint-a nice teal color that's very similar to MB Emerald Green which has been discontinued

I've heard Diamine Umber is really nice. Diamine Emerald is also very nice. It's a dark green color.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon