GMYoussef

Hello everybody, I'm new here so I apologize if this isn't the ideal location for this thread. Anyways, I've been contemplating getting a flex pen lately, and most people tend to recommend noodlers pens. Since they're in my price range, and most people tend to like them, i decided they'd be the best inexpensive flex pens to look into; one problem however, im not sure whether to go for the slightly controversial ahab, or the even more inexpensive yet older nib creeper. I was hoping that maybe somebody who has experience with both of them could chip in as to the pros and cons to both, which one they personally prefer, and why, and maybe someone who has one or the other but is satisfied (or dissatisfied) could do the same. I think it would be an interesting conversation and very helpful! Thanks in advance for the help.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GMYoussef

• wallylynn

• doggonecarl

• WaskiSquirrel

I like my Ahab better. The size fits better in my hand, and the piston is easier to fill than a sticky crank knob.

I'm not sure what controversy you're talking about. Anyway, don't expect flex from either pen. Better to think of them as regular pens that spread when you press hard.

I also noticed that this is your first post. Welcome. If you haven't used FPs before, I would avoid Noodler's as a first pen. They're more "old-style" and things may not work out of the box.

Thanks for the input! The controversy I mentioned is that many people complain about their ahab not working properly, however that's because most of them dont realize that you're supposed to tinker with the nib and feed to accustom it to your personal style.

Thank you for the welcome! I've been using fountain pens for about 3 months now, so although quite new to them I like to think that im rather used to them. This would be my third pen, and I've been debating with myself whether to go for a noodlers or for an Indian pen from fountainpenrevolution (either the serwex Mb or the Dilli) but the noodlers pens seem to be calling my name..I'll see, i may try to go to my local fountain pen store to see if they have an ahab i can test out.

I'm partial to the Nib Creeper. I have the demonstrator. The smaller nib gave me less flow issues, though the Ahab's nib/feed combo was better than my Konrad's. I've since replaced the Noodler's nib in my Creeper with a medium stub.

For the price, why not get both?

I've used both models. I slightly prefer the Ahab because of the size. I prefer the filling mechanism on the Creeper, and it seems to work better "out of the box."

You didn't suggest it, but I'm going to throw in a recommendation for the Konrad. To me, this pen captures the best of both worlds.

By the way, I love the flex on Noodler's pens, but I've found that not all pens, even in the same model, flex equally as well.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Thank you for the suggestion! For some reason the Konrad slipped my mind, I'll look into it. I've heard some varried things from people about the flex, some love it, some say it's decent. Im just looking for something that I can write with as a solid everyday pen but that I can have some fun flexing here and there with, do you think these pens do the job?

I have one of each - Ahab, Konrad, Creaper - and I like them all. Usually, I find the Ahab a bit big, the Creaper a bit slender, and the Konrad just right sizewise. I have not had any trouble with getting them to write to my taste (I like the fiddling to get it just right, but they all three worked out of the box). I do find that as I use them more often, the flex seems to go deeper. I guess the nib does soften a little with use.

Both my Konrad and Creaper are inked at the moment. While not marked as such, I have read somewhere that they are all manufactured in India, and thus are actually Indian pens, and fit into my collection's focus. I have also found that most Indian pens are easy to tweak.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I have one of each as well, and all three worked well straight off. I find the Creaper much easier to flex (having a smaller nib) and capable of the same line variation as the two larger nibbed pens. I prefer the larger size of the Ahab though. The Creaper is small enough that I'll start to cramp during prolonged writing. I guess my ideal would be an Ahab with a Creaper nib. Think I just volunteered for the awkward squad ;-)

Elizabeth

questions questions, too many questions...

I know you didn't mention it, but another pen with a semiflex nib that is pretty much in direct competition with the Noodler's line is the Fountain Pen Revolution Dilli. It's obviously an Indian pen, just like the Ahab/Creaper/Konrad, but has had FAR fewer reports of trouble out of the box.

wallylynn, you said the noodle's pens are not really flex. I bought a noodle's and decided I didn't care for flex pens because I had to press so hard to get line variation. Would a different flex pen not act the same way? should I not give up on flex pens just because I don't like the way the noodle's pens write? What pen would you recommend to test out flex nibs without spending a ton of money?

I find that the Creaper has a rather small ink capacity for a flex pen. The Konrad and Ahab also have a standard #6 so you can swap out nibs with those if you don't want to always write with a flex nib.

Edited by ClaytonLittle

In terms of quality, go nib creaper if you want a reliable pen. I have an Ahab, Konrad, nib creaper, and ebonite Konrad. The only pen out of them that I have not had a myriad of issues with is the creaper. Yeah, it's not as flexible as the others, but at least it works well and requires much less tweaking. Also, the creaper's nib is much less sharp than the others, so is easier to write with and is kind to the paper.

Perhaps I'm just a victim of bad quality control though, I've heard of others with spectacular Ahabs and Konrads and bad creapers.

Edited by Ego Id Veto

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.