Getting The Most Out Of Cheap Nibs

QuantumMechanics

Are there any reliable ways to make cheap nibs last? Do they handle converters better than cartridges, and/or do they need more diligent maintenance?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• WirsPlm

• QuantumMechanics

• welch

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you don't abuse them, and they have a decent amount of tipping, there is no reason to believe they will not last a long time.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Keep in mind that a lot of pens we use now were the 'cheaper' pens when they were introduced and still working great (Esterbrooks are a great example). Steel is steel is steel, basically, just don't apply lots of force, avoid overgrinding and the nibs should last for a long time.

Edited by WirsPlm

Assuming you don't abuse them, and they have a decent amount of tipping, there is no reason to believe they will not last a long time.

Do an EBay search for some of the old "third-tier" pens, like Wearever, Arnold, and Stratford. Look for Esterbrooks with 9xxx nibs. They have all lasted since 1950 and earlier. As Renfield says, even inexpensive nibs will last.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Are there any reliable ways to make cheap nibs last? Do they handle converters better than cartridges, and/or do they need more diligent maintenance?

I guess that depends on just how "cheap" they are. I pretty much use what most people on FPN would call "cheap" fountain pens. I don't usually have problems with the nibs at all.

Have you had problems with inexpensive fountain pens' nibs? Or are you simply approaching inexpensive fountain pens with some trepedation?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I guess that depends on just how "cheap" they are. I pretty much use what most people on FPN would call "cheap" fountain pens. I don't usually have problems with the nibs at all.

Have you had problems with inexpensive fountain pens' nibs? Or are you simply approaching inexpensive fountain pens with some trepedation?

Many thanks to all for replying! :)

I have not run into any issues with cheap nibs in the past, I am reluctant to try them out. I'm fairly new to the world of fountain pens- I've had a keen interest since I was 10, but I have very little experience with them. I'm 19 now, and have been using a fountain pen for nearly everything since I was 11. I have a Waterman Hemisphere, an Aurora (graduation present, don't often use it out of fear of losing it), and one made by a private craftsman. I've always found them easy to write with, but I am left-handed so I push the nib instead of pulling it. I don't smudge but I do think that I put some strain on the nib by pushing it. I'm worried about sounding like an idiot on here for my lack of experience :)

Many thanks to all for replying! :)

I have not run into any issues with cheap nibs in the past, I am reluctant to try them out. I'm fairly new to the world of fountain pens- I've had a keen interest since I was 10, but I have very little experience with them. I'm 19 now, and have been using a fountain pen for nearly everything since I was 11. I have a Waterman Hemisphere, an Aurora (graduation present, don't often use it out of fear of losing it), and one made by a private craftsman. I've always found them easy to write with, but I am left-handed so I push the nib instead of pulling it. I don't smudge but I do think that I put some strain on the nib by pushing it. I'm worried about sounding like an idiot on here for my lack of experience :)

No worries, everyone was new once!

My advice is to embrace cheap pens and not worry about strain, I honestly don't think it will be that much of a problem. I do know that they make some nibs designed for left-handed writers, but there are lots of lefties who use regular FPs without any problems.

I would maybe get backups of pens you know you love (this is good advice in general - my Pilot MR is just not the same after I dropped it nib first), which is even easier when going for a cheap Pilot or Chinese pen. The other suggestion would be to focus on pens with user-replaceable nibs (Esterbrooks, Lamys, etc) and have a backup nib around in case of accidents. I really don't think there will be problems with nib strain (steel is steel after all, it's not exactly a fragile substance), this is something that I think most people should do because accidents happen, and if something does happen you can just pickup your backup and keep going.

With many of the Chinese pens, it is cheaper to get a spare pen (less than $10) than a spare Lamy nib ($15).

And there is even a 6 for $20 package (shipped) on the Baoer 801. How's that for cheap.

As long as the nib has a round tipping, you should be just fine.

It is the tipping that will take the wear, not the nib itself.

I've used some of the cheap Chinese pens, and I like them. In fact I have been surprised at how smooth they write.

And I don't treat them any different than my other pens.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi,

How long a cheap nib will last depends on the kind of cheap nib you are looking at. A lot of cheap nibs are tipped and they will usually last as long as more expensive nibs. Some cheap nibs are untipped and will wear out a lot more quickly. There are a few types of untipped nibs. One type has the tips of the nibs twisted downwards to make rounded tips. These typically last longer for me, but I usually wear flat spots on these after a few months, but I can usually use them for about a half year. The other type has the very tips of the nibs folded under. For me, after about two months, the part of the tips that are folded under fall off. There is also the type that is like the type commonly seen in pens sold in calligraphy sets that are untipped. I can usually use these for about four months until they get too sharp to use and I have to regrind them.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

All but one of my pens are cheap pens, the odd one out being my Cross. I have various Parkers, some have gold nibs, some steel. I treat them all the same, even the Chinese ones: with blatant disregard! They might (if they're lucky) get cleaned when I change inks, and I do tend to be more gentle when writing with gold nibs just because it FEELS right. I have an Osmiroid rolated nib - untipped but rolled under itself - which is still working after 30 years of occasional use.

You can purchase nibs made for the pushing-forward which occurs with left-handedness, such as the Lamy option. I don't know how necessary this really is.

You can't go wrong with a Parker or a cheap Chinese pen when you're starting out. Of the Chinese makers, I'd recommend the Duke pens.

Have a few NoNonsense pens from the '80's. Plain stainless steel, nothing fancy. Been using them steadily and they still write well. Have touched them up on a good hard Arkansas stone a few times, reground one when it got rough due to being dropped. But still going strong.

In my experience, pens last. Period. The only exception to this are flex dip pens for doing Copperplate. But that is a very special case. So I wouldn't worry too much about writing wearing out a pen.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Have a few NoNonsense pens from the '80's. Plain stainless steel, nothing fancy. Been using them steadily and they still write well. Have touched them up on a good hard Arkansas stone a few times, reground one when it got rough due to being dropped. But still going strong.

In my experience, pens last. Period. The only exception to this are flex dip pens for doing Copperplate. But that is a very special case. So I wouldn't worry too much about writing wearing out a pen.

Enjoy,

The regular No-Nonsense nibs are a good example of the tipped steel nibs. The calligraphy ones aren't tipped though.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Think of it this way. . . if the nib has tipping material, it will probably outlast the user. The tipping material is very hard, and will not wear out during years of normal use. Physical damage from dropping, etc., is another issue altogether, though. In the case of physical damage, it really doesn't matter if the nib is tipped or not. Damage is damage.

I wouldn't worry about wearing out nibs, or even most filling systems. Just protect the pen and its nib from physical damage and you should be fine. As an "upper bracket" car dealer once told me. . . "If you take normal care and do all the scheduled maintenance, you will get tired of it before it ever wears out."