Diamine Salamander

DanielCoffey

INK : DIAMINE SALAMANDER
PAPER : RHODIA #16 A5 white lined
PEN : Onoto Magna 261 Medium nib tweaked for wet flow by John Sorowka (Oxonian).

Scanner : IT8-calibrated Epson V600 flatbed

Colour Space : Adobe RGB

Matte : 50% grey and 100% white

Post-process : Unsharp Mask
Colour Balance : Neutral
http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamander.jpg

DRYING TIME : Fairly long, particularly since I use a nib and feed adjusted for very wet flow. I found that 15s was about right for copy paper and a good 30-45s for Rhodia. This was from a well-cleaned pen with very high flow however. May not be suitable for left-handed over-writers.
SATURATION : Salamander is a moderately saturated ink. It achieves its colour without excessive dye and is easy to clean. It does not smudge at all when dry. In natural light, there is good contrast on the paper and the ink is easy to read and relaxing on the eye. It would probably be work-safe unless you live under the rule of Blue or Black Only.

BLEED THROUGH : I saw moderate bleed-through on Pukka 80gsm copy paper but only the odd pin-(bleep) on Rhodia. I suspect that a finer pen or one with more moderate flow would not have significant problems on marginal papers. If you want to use a fat, wet pen with this ink, make sure to use paper designed with fountain pens in mind.
LUBRICATION : Diamine Salamander feels very smooth under the nib and starts very readily. I have had no problems with the pen drying out but then again the Onoto does not have a safety breather hole in the cap. Flow was high to very high but despite this the ink didn't feather at all even on copy paper. Line quality was excellent. It works well on very dry papers such as those with a Laid finish and might be worth checking out on off-white or cream papers such as G Lalo Vergé de France.
Here is a close-up of the swab.
http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamanderSwab.jpg
Diamine Salamander is a nice olive greeny-brown with a touch of grey. It is similar to other colours such as Noodler's El Lawrence and Mont Blanc Racing Green. To the eye it has a little more green than in these scans but the scanner is freshly calibrated. Salamander looks at its best in natural daylight.

And a close-up of the shading.
http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamanderShade.jpg
While there is some shading when used in a wet pen like this one, I feel that in a pen with more typical flow or a finer nib, the shading would not be very evident. There is no sign of sheen on any of the papers I used.
The typical water tests...
http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamanderWater.jpg
As is typical of many Diamine inks, Salamander is not at all water resistant. There is a barely legibly residue, just enough to tell you what you have written if you look carefully. Almost all of the colour lifts readily, especially a yellow component which is visible on paper towels. The plus side to this is that it is very easy to clean and does not cling to the walls of a converter.
Edited by DanielCoffey

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• cybaea

• DanielCoffey

• swanjun

Thanks for your very helpful review! I just received my bottle of Salamander but have not inked up a pen with it yet. I really like this green/grey/brown/whatever!

Thank you for your review! I always look for your reviews when I'm contemplating new Diamine inks. :)

I recently picked up a sample from Goulet Pen Co. I, too, see that Salamander is more green to the eye than the scans depict. I think it's a little more brown than Racing Green, but definitely in the same family. It may not be the shading bonanza that I'd hoped for, but I still really like it and plan to pick up a bottle.

Thank you for this careful review. I too have found it impossible to scan accurately so just trust us: it looks even better in reality!

And I really, really like this colour. It is both very different and at the same time somehow very usable.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

One of my personal favourite inks. It just seems - right!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have taken two indirect daylight photos of Salamander and have managed to show the elusive green...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamanderPhoto01.jpg

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamanderPhoto02.jpg

While the camera is in no way calibrated, there seems to be something in Salamander that doesn't respond well to the lamp in a scanner and the green goes and hides.

I have taken two indirect daylight photos of Salamander and have managed to show the elusive green...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamanderPhoto01.jpg

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSalamanderPhoto02.jpg

While the camera is in no way calibrated, there seems to be something in Salamander that doesn't respond well to the lamp in a scanner and the green goes and hides.

That's much more like it! Thank you

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Clever little devils, these Salamanders!

The Good Captain

That's much more like it! Thank you

Here is my attempt for another thread; the top ink is Diamine Cult Pens Deep Dark Green

fpn_1383122374__scan0292.jpg

This was written on a slope which is why the shading is all at the bottom.

And I couldn't resist either - I've ordered the DD green AND the DD Red. I know I said I "don't do reds" but then I also once said that I wouldn't have a glass of Twisted Spire on any day without a 'Y' in and look where that got me!

The Good Captain

And I couldn't resist either - I've ordered the DD green AND the DD Red. I know I said I "don't do reds" but then I also once said that I wouldn't have a glass of Twisted Spire on any day without a 'Y' in and look where that got me!

Well, I do not do reds or browns........but ......I have to admit that in addition to DD green (fabulous, smashing, super, wonderful colour) I ordered both DD red and DD brown and...... loving both of them :happycloud9:

Got myself confused - I'd only have a Spire on a day with a Y. Or something like that.

The Good Captain

I love this ink in both wet and dry writers, it's definitely mainly green, the original scans don't do it justice... They look more like Macassar.

• 3 weeks later...

Top review Daniel..... I have been holding out on Salamander, I was not sure the colour did anything for me but your review and the supplementry photos clarified matters sufficiently to place an order.... I am looking forward to it arriving.

Regards, Falcon

NIce review and great colour. Elusive is a great adjective here. I have always been amazed how different a good ink can look as a scan in comparison with a photo in direct sunlight. That's not at all a sign to me that my scanner isn't okay, it just sees things differently than my camera or my eyes do. Also, the moods of my scanner and camera never change (I think).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...