Koh-I-Noor - Blue Review

congo

I did not find this KOH-I-NOOR ink in the review index, so made my own to share my experience.

KOH-I-NOOR is a Czech company, that is known in my country mainly for its "Hardtmuth" pencils, but they also manufacture other high quality art supplies. I found the ink in a small shop, and this was the only bottled fountain pen ink they had. It came in a plastic bottle, and was very cheap. I like niche inks, and although beautifully designed bottles are eye catching, paying for the design instead of the ink is a thing that I try to avoid.

post-106075-0-14885500-1382727123_thumb.jpg

The color is a nice light blue, but not at all washed out. It is a bit darker than LAMY blue, but for my simple eyes the color is similar.

The drying time is good, and I had no hard starts, even after leaving the pen uncapped for a few minutes. As you can probably see, it is not water resistant at all. I also realized, that the bleedthrough is not because the paper is too thin, but instead it is very absorbent.

I simply cannot think of any other ink, that can beat this price/value ratio. If you like it, please take care when shopping, because the company produces drawing inks and stamp inks in similar bottles.

The correct bottle says INKOUST DO PLNICÍCH PER and of course FOUNTAIN PEN INK.

Any comments are welcome!

You can find the full size review here.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• congo

• Seele

• BCL-2

• vates

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting ink, do you consider that the good price makes up for the bleedthrough? It looks like a remarkably good value ink to me.

I too saw it somewhere, but I was afraid of it (few reviews, low price). I know Koh-I-noor is a huge and historic company, but I still barely heard about their fountain pen side.

Did you have any issues with clogging, sediment or pen hygiene with this ink?

The colour looks like a pleasant standard light blue, nice for an everyday use. I find it's dreamy and cheerful like the sky in a sunny day. Somehow when I think of lighter blue ink this a colour much like this comes to my mind.

I think will try one next time I see them :)

2 Parker Frontiers, 1 Lamy Safari, 1 MB 146, 1 Pilot MR and new friends: M805 in blue and an M 420. Yay!

Current holy grail: Caran d'Ache Leman Bicolor in saffron or possibly white. Not yet sure.

It was not long ago that I saw some Koh-i-noor fountain pens available which are upside-down in design: when put into the pocket the nib points down. I did not buy one but now they seem to be gone, and not even listed in the company site. They do make very high quality products, I have a very early mechanical pencil that resembles a wooden pencil along with a box of leads, the markings on the lead was engraved into it; that's super cool.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Interestingly, all other papers - including inferior ones - that I tried were fine, the bleedthrough was only present on that particular Xerox paper. I will try with other brands during next week at work.

So far no clogging, or any other problems, and the ink seemingly does not have any suspicious particles.

Still, I did not take the risk to fill my more delicate pens with it, until having it behave well in the cheaper Kaweco for a few more weeks.

I was also hesitant to buy the ink because of the lack of opinions. One goal of this review is to advance the situation. :)

• 6 months later...

Reporting back on my experiences with this Koh-I-Noor ink.

I have now been using it in my daily writer for quite a while, and it is a very nice ink indeed.

The bleendthrough is not present on most papers, maybe the paper used for the review was a poor choice.

I can highly recommend this ink, if you can get your hands on it. For about 1,5 - 2 EUR / 50g bottle, I consider it a steal.

I use this ink to test pens while in repair/service. It is a nice option for the money. However, the flow could be a bit better.

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich fein

Very interesting ink you have there. Great review! I also like the dry time of the ink.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

• 3 years later...

I recently purchased a BAOER 79 Starwalker with a M nib at a charity shop in Aberfeldy, Scotland. The owner demonstrated the pen with this ink and gave me the bottle.

I have use this pen and ink on very cheap yellow legal pad, 16- and 24-pound multi-use printer paper, a thin-paged agenda and on standard Bible paper. It has not bled through.

In comparison, Herbin inks have bled through these papers, making the other side of the agenda unusable, and blue Parker Quink bled through only slightly.

Edited by chaplainphil

• 3 years later...

KOH-I-NOOR....mine says Blue Document ink....if that is a difference?

I've no idea where I got this ink, a full bottle, or when. Sometime with in the last 4-5 years.

Koh-I-Noor, made either some sort of ink pen, I believe, in I'd read the name here.

I've not tested my Lamy Blue, in I've not been into Blues for a while.

Koh0I-Noor does not shade on Rhoda 90g or another of my real good papers.:crybaby:It's more towards a sky blue, than the dark and vibrant blue I need for narrow nibs, if it don't shade.

I have a couple old W.Germany bottles of Lamy Blue & Turquoise ....do have a newer bottle of Turquoise...which some left in it....not a lot. A very good Turquoise, if using 90g or better paper, it will shade. A decade or so ago, when i came onto the com, it was the basis turquoise all were compared too.

eAMqXGY.jpg

How ever I referred in another post to this ink as coming out very bright and fading rapidly to similar to Pelikan blue. I've not done a test comparing the two.

In the old Diplomat pen I have with an 18 K nib marked M, which looks to me like a EF, I wanted a bright blue for a narrow nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.