Fabriano Paper, Anyone?

TassoBarbasso

Hi All!

I've been struggling to find the Perfect Paper for a while, to no avail so far... I'm considering getting some Tomoe but it's expensive and troublesome to get, so I will probably give up at some point.

However, as I'm Italian, I was thinking that it could be a nice idea to try some Fabriano paper. It's pretty much everywhere in Italian stationary shops and comes rather cheap.

However, before spending even just 5 euros for a ream of paper that might be useful only for printing, I'd like to hear from any of you what is your experience with Fabriano papers. Any paper. Just share your comments :) I'm interested in particular to know how it compares with the usual "standards" like HP Premium choice paper, Tomoe, Rhodia, Clairefontaine, ...

Note: I'm looking for loose sheets, not notebooks.

thanks!

Fabio

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TassoBarbasso

• Sinistral1

• Inkysloth

• MisterBoll

Hm. I have a Fabriano journal (from 2004 I think?) and the paper isn't great. It's both coated-feeling and rough. Ink takes a long time to dry on it, longer than on most of my notebooks, but the writing experience isn't smooth and my Fs, EFs and italics catch on it. There's some bleedthrough depending on ink, and everything I write shows through quite distinctly so I can only use one side of the page. This surprised me because the paper is reasonably thick and I didn't think there would be much showthrough.

I would much rather have Paperblanks (quicker-drying, better ruled, less showthrough), Tomoe (there's an excuse for the showthrough in the thinness) or HP 32lb (nicely absorbent and quick-drying).

Edited by WirsPlm

Hi Fabio,

My experience with Fabriano paper has been very good, but they produce a lot of different papers for different purposes, so it's hard to generalise and say they are "good" or "bad" for fountain pens.

Fabriano Academica is a nice general use loose leaf paper with a little tooth, available in a range of weights. Primarily for artwork, I believe it's only available as blank sheets. Fabriano EcoQua notebooks & notepads are available in plain, lined, grid, and dot grid paper. It's gently off white, and nice & smooth. Fabriano Rosaspina is a wonderful paper for printmaking, but I'd not use it for fountain pen writing.

They do sell a small bundle of 7 or 8 little notebooks called "Bouquet" where each book is a different paper. Although you're looking for loose leaf, this would be a nice way to sample a range of papers, and maybe try different pens & inks on each paper.

Ultimately, this will be a case of trial and error! Test out several sorts and see what suits you best.

best wishes

Robin

Edited to add: I can send you some Academica and EcoQua to sample - PM me if you'd like.

Hi All!

I've been struggling to find the Perfect Paper for a while, to no avail so far... I'm considering getting some Tomoe but it's expensive and troublesome to get, so I will probably give up at some point.

However, as I'm Italian, I was thinking that it could be a nice idea to try some Fabriano paper. It's pretty much everywhere in Italian stationary shops and comes rather cheap.

However, before spending even just 5 euros for a ream of paper that might be useful only for printing, I'd like to hear from any of you what is your experience with Fabriano papers. Any paper. Just share your comments :) I'm interested in particular to know how it compares with the usual "standards" like HP Premium choice paper, Tomoe, Rhodia, Clairefontaine, ...

Note: I'm looking for loose sheets, not notebooks.

thanks!

Fabio

Edited by Inkysloth

Instagram @inkysloth

Hi Fabio,

My experience with Fabriano paper has been very good, but they produce a lot of different papers for different purposes, so it's hard to generalise and say they are "good" or "bad" for fountain pens.

Fabriano Academica is a nice general use loose leaf paper with a little tooth, available in a range of weights. Primarily for artwork, I believe it's only available as blank sheets. Fabriano EcoQua notebooks & notepads are available in plain, lined, grid, and dot grid paper. It's gently off white, and nice & smooth. Fabriano Rosaspina is a wonderful paper for printmaking, but I'd not use it for fountain pen writing.

They do sell a small bundle of 7 or 8 little notebooks called "Bouquet" where each book is a different paper. Although you're looking for loose leaf, this would be a nice way to sample a range of papers, and maybe try different pens & inks on each paper.

Ultimately, this will be a case of trial and error! Test out several sorts and see what suits you best.

best wishes

Robin

Edited to add: I can send you some Academica and EcoQua to sample - PM me if you'd like.

Would be nice to get some samples!

what is the weight of the accademica you have?

thanks,

Fabio

First and foremost - you should get some Tomoe River paper as it is beyond compare.

In so far as Fabriano - i use the EcoQua perfect bound notepads for drawing, notes, and calligraphy practice and I love it. It has a good amount of smoothness for really crisp lines.

First and foremost - you should get some Tomoe River paper as it is beyond compare.

In so far as Fabriano - i use the EcoQua perfect bound notepads for drawing, notes, and calligraphy practice and I love it. It has a good amount of smoothness for really crisp lines.

Yeah, I'll surely try to get the Tomoe but I should also look for more realistic options :)

What about feathering and bleedthrough on the EcoQua? I've heard very conflicting opinions...

BTW the guys at Fabriano themselves suggested to try their "Eminence" copy paper. Any feedback on that, specifically?

Yeah, I'll surely try to get the Tomoe but I should also look for more realistic options :)

What about feathering and bleedthrough on the EcoQua? I've heard very conflicting opinions...

Keep in mind - Tomoe is as real as you can get, man. :happyberet:

I've had no feathering and no bleedthrough on the EcoQua. I can get these pads for four dollars a pop and I would imagine they are cheaper where you live. Try one out - it's not like it's going to break the bank.

About two months ago I got a sample packet of Tomoe from a member here for $9. They might still be available. I love the Florentine gold patterned papers from Italy for sending letters, but my experience has been that they often don't like fountain pens. Dang.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

It'd be my pleasure! PM me your address, and I'll pop some off in the morning.

I think the Accademica I have is 140gsm, but I may be wrong. I know it isn't the 200 though.

I've certainly not had any problems with EcoQua feathering or bleeding, and I've used a few different inks & nib widths. Some showthrough does happen with wetter inks / pens, but not really bleeding.

Best wishes

Would be nice to get some samples!

what is the weight of the accademica you have?

thanks,

Fabio

Instagram @inkysloth

I have been using Fabriano notebooks for some months now and I can say they are very fountain pen friendly! The ones that are readily available are the Ecoqua, which as mentioned come in lined, grid or blank versions. There is no feathering or bleeding at all even with my 1.1 nibs.

I have been using a Fabriano drawing pad with R905 90g paper for a while now. It's not loose leaf, but the pages tear out neatly and easily. The paper is very good with fountain pens but a little toothy. It can be a little troublesome with stubs but fine nibs are no problem. The best thing about this paper is that it is easy for me to get here.

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I agree with penultress. I often use a Fabriano EcoQua lined notebook for taking notes and I've been very happy with it, no matter what fountain pen I use.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased an A5 Fabriano Ecoqua stapled notebook this summer in Germany for about 3 euro. The paper quality is very good: takes ink well with little show through. The covers are nice: soft and flexible but with a cloth-like texture. I wish I had picked up more of these. Quick searches for online sources returned either high prices or very high shipping costs. Any recommendations for a reasonable source?

Another vote in favor of Fabriano! If I could get them as easily as you can, I would use them all the time :) Unfortunately, I can't, even though I'm only a hop away on the other side of the Adriatic! lol Seriously now, I second the recommendation of the Fabriano bouquet notebooks, they're a great way to try out the papers without having to invest (money or storage) for huge reams of paper. Also check the Pay It Forward and Paper exchange threads if you would like some samples. But you might be able to get samples locally if it's as common as that.

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Fabriano EcoQua notebooks have my current go to paper (Bioprima Book 85GR), I've just started using the glued pads to make my own journals and luckily Blick art stores carry them here in the states. Very smooth with nice 4mm dot grid spacing and as stated before little bleed through if any.

I purchased an A5 Fabriano Ecoqua stapled notebook this summer in Germany for about 3 euro. The paper quality is very good: takes ink well with little show through. The covers are nice: soft and flexible but with a cloth-like texture. I wish I had picked up more of these. Quick searches for online sources returned either high prices or very high shipping costs. Any recommendations for a reasonable source?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/fabriano-ecoqua-notebooks/

Edited by fraktur

I have tried Accademica, EcoQua and Copy 1 so far.

Accademica is great, but expensive.

Copy 1: used one sheet, then gave away the whole ream. Not worth.

EcoQua: OH MY ... this is THE paper. It's wonderfully textured yet smooth, has a lovely colour, it's just... perfect!! Far better than any rhodia, clairefontaine or stuff like that, and much much cheaper.

I have some Tomoe waiting to be collected at the local post office: I will try some today and I will see if it's really as outstanding as they say. If not, then EcoQua will be my choice paper.

• 4 months later...

Just another shout out for Fabriano Ecoqua paper. It's my favorite FP paper now. I like the gridded A5 size 85 g/m2 spiral notebooks. Perfect size for writing on the seat cushion next to me on the couch while I'm on the computer. Has a stiff cardboard backing so it's like a small desk. It seems to like all my FPs. It's definitely better than Clairefontaine IMHO and about half the price.

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Just another shout out for Fabriano Ecoqua paper. It's my favorite FP paper now. I like the gridded A5 size 85 g/m2 spiral notebooks. Perfect size for writing on the seat cushion next to me on the couch while I'm on the computer. Has a stiff cardboard backing so it's like a small desk. It seems to like all my FPs. It's definitely better than Clairefontaine IMHO and about half the price.

I have compared three notebooks with my new Pelikan m400, extra fine: 1) Fabriano Ecoqua 85g unlined stapled notebook, available at a local art supply store. 2) Clairefontaine 90g lined wirebound notebook is available at an art store two towns away. 3) Black n' Red 24lb lined wirebound notebook is available at a local office supply store. Of the three, the Black n' Red is the most desirable as a notebook. My personal preference is the Fabriano paper, owing to its creamy color and surface that is not as slick as the other two.

The Pelikan is what some folks on this board call a "wet writer" and tends feather with a free-flowing ink. I have tried two of these: Diamine Majestic blue and Aurora blue. In a separate test, I found that the Aurora blue does not feather as much as the Diamine. Aurora is my personal preference.

The rankings, with special attention to feathering, are as follows: 1) Fabriano; 2) Clairefontaine; 3) Black n' Red. 2) is close to 1), but the difference is easy to spot. In contrast, 3) far behind 2) and unsuitable for the Pelikian-Aurora combination.

Fabriano wins.