Conway Stewart Lever Mechanism

Sach

Does the CS lever filler employ a sac? Recently bought a few vintage flex pens which employ an internal sac and found that they have an atrociously small ink capacity. Given that I am looking to add my first conway to my collection; I am fearful..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnM

• RMN

• View from the Loft

• Sach

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not own any CS leverfillers, But many pens use a rubber or silicone sac. This needs to be pressed and released so it can fill. A lever is just one way to press the sac. There are pens that had a slit where you put a coin in to press the sac.

But a lever without a sac is pretty useless.

The size of the sac depends also on the size of the barrel. The Dinkie has very little room, a Churchill much more.

I believe CS are planning on new leverfillers with an improved lever design.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

If the OP is referring to adding a vintage CS to his collection, apart from small pens such as the Dinkie, he shouldn't worry about small capacity in a lever fill. If I have a day at work where I know I will need a lot of ink, my first choice pens for the day are three CS lever fills (one I haven't identified yet, a CS28 and a CS75) or an M600. However, the lever fills will do more writing on a fill than anything else I own.

Great question. After owning two cartridge-converter Bellivers for a few years, I just bought two Churchill lever-fillers. I went with lever fill because they are more traditional and I thought that ink flow may be better, given past (mixed) experiences with cartridge-converter pens (not CS specifically).

I haven't had the Churchills long enough to report on their performance but it doesn't appear that their ink capacity is particularly large. I don't think this will be a problem for me, but if you're the kind of person who likes a LOT of ink in a pen (e.g., a Pelikan or Omas piston fill) you may wish the Churchill had more.

John

All lever fill pens use a sac. Ink capacity will vary depending on the size and condition of the sac and efficiency of the specific lever mechanism.

Yes they use a sac, and at least the Churchill's capacity is considerably smaller to any other pen I own. It would be my last choice to take to a long exam or to a weekend, without an ink bottle.

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.” - Sir Richard. F. Burton