So, You Want Shading, Do You?

Masque

I see you are using dotty paper. Is it CF/Rhodia? The original sample was on Rhodia, I think.

Also drop your humidity to the stage where your hair is sticking up and every time you walk past something metal you get zapped.

As for drama, I can recommend a couple of weeks worth of Neighbours/Home 'n' Away.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Masque

• egretsrus

• Prvt. Toter

• MKB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I discovered scanning shows the color better than my earlier photos. As you can see, the printing really shows off the shading (even when pushing the nib with my left hand).

post-121667-0-13323000-1431758679_thumb.jpg

post-121667-0-50650800-1431758555_thumb.jpg

Okay, I now have all three original inks and have mixed up a batch according to Masque's ratios 15/3/1. Here's the promised writing sample:

17120499207_891b40c8b2_c.jpg

Also, as requested swipes with a Q-tip of top to bottom:

• Black Swan in Icelandic Glaciers :)
  • Old Manhattan Blackest Black
  • Noodler's Black.
17140151048_df6c1f6626_c.jpg

Please note that the color on the screen isn't as nice as it is in person. The swab looks a little darker in person, but then the paper is whiter too, so once I started messing with the contrast and other tools to try to make the screen close to the actual sample, then the blacks were too intense. As a result I tweaked the brightness and the color cast to preserve some teal in the swab. The shading is super nice and very obvious with printing.

Thank you, thank you! I've been off air due to life lately (floods, cyclonic winds, deaths, and other random challenges), saw your message about the swabs when I logged on tonight and came straight on over. The swab really shows the difference between the inks. I appreciate the effort and time you took to get them displayed on screen. Love the writing sample above too. :) Going to save the pic down to my ipad so I can look at it in more detail later.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just wanted to give this thread a gentle *bump*, as it deserves one. It's become one of my standard, go-to inks, and I use it at least twice a week (I alternate between about 5-6 pens, all inked differently, but I'm always anxious to come back around to my BSiIMBW). Yet another post to thank Masque for this glorious shady water-resisty mix of delicious goodness. :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Samantha Wilding - She/Her

Owner, Wilding Leather

Handcrafted Leather Writing Accessories

wildingleather.com

howlforfpn.jpg.47093baedd24ddf347395f0535911675.jpg      tangledantlersforfpn.jpg.c941ac36a4dd251dce9724be97255547.jpg   monsteraforfpn.jpg.fe496936918a19c6221b8e79f974b793.jpg

Has anyone translated the original recipe from 15x, etc. to drops or ounces?

It would make it so much easier for people like me who are mathematically incompetent.

Thanks for the bump -- this has long been a favorite thread!

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

Has anyone translated the original recipe from 15x, etc. to drops or ounces?

It would make it so much easier for people like me who are mathematically incompetent.

Thanks for the bump -- this has long been a favorite thread!

Oh! The "x" is whatever you want it to be, as long as it's unchanging. It's not a multiplier. So 15x could be 15mL, or 15 drops, or 15 bottles, or 1.5mL, as long as 3x was similarly 3mL, 3 drops, 3 bottles, or .3mL.

The relationship of the numbers to each other - the ratio - is what matters. Does that help?

I just wanted to give this thread a gentle *bump*, as it deserves one. It's become one of my standard, go-to inks, and I use it at least twice a week (I alternate between about 5-6 pens, all inked differently, but I'm always anxious to come back around to my BSiIMBW). Yet another post to thank Masque for this glorious shady water-resisty mix of delicious goodness. :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Wow. Thank you so much.

Inspiring. Maybe I'll make the blue-black I've been working on public soon.

I have this in a bottle on my desk at work. I wrote a letter with it today. Amazing shading, especially when printing.

I wonder, what sort of bottle have you chosen?

Only the Iroshizuku with label removed would do. I occasionally give it a tilt to watch the glorious color on the glass.

I wonder, what sort of bottle have you chosen?

Mine is in a Noodler's bottle that is labeled for the Navajo Turquoise that birthed the ink. (I split a bottle with a couple others, so I'll have to restock sooner than I'd like, but I have plenty of the 54th and OMBB, so I'll be set for some time with another bottle of NT.)

I've been looking into finding interesting 1-2 oz bottles for ink mix storage. So far 2oz Nalgenes are serving functionally but not aesthetically. But finding unique bottles available in small quantities is an aggravating search for now.

When I settle on a kind of bottle I will transfer my BSiIMBW into it and share a photo :)

Samantha Wilding - She/Her

Owner, Wilding Leather

Handcrafted Leather Writing Accessories

wildingleather.com

howlforfpn.jpg.47093baedd24ddf347395f0535911675.jpg      tangledantlersforfpn.jpg.c941ac36a4dd251dce9724be97255547.jpg   monsteraforfpn.jpg.fe496936918a19c6221b8e79f974b793.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

May I suggest: Noodler's No Word For Blue?

That is definitely better than the name I picked.

Life has finally settled here; if there is still interest, I might mix up a few bottles of this over the holidays for those who can't mix their own.

That is definitely better than the name I picked.

Life has finally settled here; if there is still interest, I might mix up a few bottles of this over the holidays for those who can't mix their own.

I am interested! Such a brilliant ink!

Please count me in! :lticaptd:

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

Unless you use precise measurements, your mileage may vary. Additionally, no guarantees are made as to the accuracy of this formula. My inks may be younger or older than yours, may be from a different batch, or maybe I'm just really good looking and my inks are trying to impress me.

15x Navajo Turquoise

3x 54th Massachusetts

1x Old Manhattan Blackest Black

Noodler's inks, all three.

thank you!!!

Noodler's inks have been my go to inks since I started using fountain pens. My first bottle was the Eel Blue... Still my absolute favorite.

Thanks again Masque for the post, truly an amazing mix.

and in thanks to Noodler's and Masque... Could have used a bit more time, but you get the idea...

fpn_1477624514__masque_blue_recipe.jpg

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!