So, You Want Shading, Do You?

Masque

What do you mean when you say Yama-Guri is closer? Closer to what?

Closer than Tsuki-Yo to the color of this ink.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Masque

• egretsrus

• Prvt. Toter

• MKB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Masque, I adored your shady mix but didn't have two of the inks. I have Noodler's CMYK inks (courtesy of LindaMedley's enabling) which includes Noodler's bulletproof Black, Noodler's Yellow, and Noodler's Navajo Turquoise, so looked up the chromatography of 54th and Old Manhattan and noticed they contained a touch of yellow. I did some guessing from there.

I have to apologise for my iPhone 4 as it doesn't take true-to-colour photographs. The ink I see with my naked eye is very close to your wonderful photos as viewed on my iPad screen. (I became a student of your photographs, your ink recipe, and others' chromatography. ;) ) Like you, I think Old Manhattan adds something to the shadiness that I couldn't quite get. This is what my camera could capture of the replica attempt.

To the natural eye, the ink shows that slight greeny tinge evident in your photos.

2.5mL Noodler's Navajo Turquoise

2 drops Noodler's Yellow

2 drops Noodler's Black (bulletproof)

Thanks for the inspiration leading to tonight's diversionary experiment :).

Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

That looks quite impressive... you did a GOOD job at coming close to it.

I should try... I am lacking Navajo Turquoise.. and I am seriously thinking just substituting with some of my lovely turquoises and go for it. :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Intellidepth, you truly inspire me. I am so flattered that you would take the time to try to reproduce something that I did. Your mix looks fantastic, and I'm so glad it worked for you. Wonderful!

WOW! :puddle: I am convinced, gonna order the needed samples in the next few days to see if I can reproduce this!

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

wow!!!!!! great job! and thanks for trying slightly different inks just to see what happens :-)

i mistakenly ordered Noodlers turquoise (but not Navajo turquoise). not the same. tried Diamine Aqua Blue, no shading. back to ordering the real thing....

Edited by egretsrus

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

• 4 weeks later...

To me the most amazing thing about this recipe is that Masque has actually created an ink that is sentient.

LOL...

Awesome mix, Masque! Just need to order some OMBB and I'm off to the races. Thanks for developing this great mix. Appreciate that you shared it with us.

Just came across this thread. Masque, this is outstanding and thanks for sharing!

I have Navajo Turquoise and ~1 ml of 54th Massachusetts. Looking for the OMBB right after I finishing typing this.

Reminds me of the captivating blue of glaciers, so how about Black Swan in Icelandic Glaciers?

I couldn't wait, and decided to try substituting Noodler's Black for the Old Manhattan Blackest Black. I did a small ~3.5 ml batch measuring carefully with an ink syringe and used a 1 for 1 substitution of the black. The photo below shows the results top to bottom on three paper types: Rhodia dot pad, Clairefontaine Triomphe, and Staples inkjet paper bright white 24lb 98 bright. I cleaned dried and then dipped a Lamy Safari with a 1.1 stub for the writing. There are a few spots with shading, but unfortunately, the shading with my ink substitution isn't on the level of the original example. So, I await the OMBB in hopes of better results.

17055826059_0b20935782_c.jpg

Quick update: I received the Old Manhattan Blackest Black ink and OH MY GOODNESS, that made a difference using the correct inks. I only had a drop left of the 54th Massachusetts ink plus the residue in the sample vial, so the ratios of the inks aren't likely to be exact. Because of that, I won't post the results until I get more 54th Mass. and can do it up proper. In any case, I am doing the happy dance as the shading is great.

Quick update: I received the Old Manhattan Blackest Black ink and OH MY GOODNESS, that made a difference using the correct inks. I only had a drop left of the 54th Massachusetts ink plus the residue in the sample vial, so the ratios of the inks aren't likely to be exact. Because of that, I won't post the results until I get more 54th Mass. and can do it up proper. In any case, I am doing the happy dance as the shading is great.

Ok, now I want it. If you are willing and able, it would be great please to see a side by side swipe of black near old manhattan near Masque's blend.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

What is the factor that differentiates OMBB from Noodler's Black outside of the mixture?

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

What is the factor that differentiates OMBB from Noodler's Black outside of the mixture?

I'm not so sure since Intellidepth got some nice varience with her mix which did have Noodler's Black. I do notice much more shading with printing vs. cursive, but in any case, the ink I mixed up with the OMBB shaded much nicer for me than the first batch with Noodler's Black.

I'm waiting for more 54th Manhattan, and will post results as soon as I can get it mixed up and shot.

There's magic in Old Manhattan Blackest Black, I'm telling you. It has always mixed up more interesting inky potions for me than other blacks... and it has become, and I believe will remain, my One True Black.

I'm not so sure since Intellidepth got some nice varience with her mix which did have Noodler's Black. I do notice much more shading with printing vs. cursive, but in any case, the ink I mixed up with the OMBB shaded much nicer for me than the first batch with Noodler's Black.

I'm waiting for more 54th Manhattan, and will post results as soon as I can get it mixed up and shot.

Thanks for the information.

There's magic in Old Manhattan Blackest Black, I'm telling you. It has always mixed up more interesting inky potions for me than other blacks... and it has become, and I believe will remain, my One True Black.

Okay...you've sold me, but I'd like to get a sample. Would anyone like to sell some (2-3 ml)?

Edited by UDog

Okay, I now have all three original inks and have mixed up a batch according to Masque's ratios 15/3/1. Here's the promised writing sample:

17120499207_891b40c8b2_c.jpg

Also, as requested swipes with a Q-tip of top to bottom:

• Black Swan in Icelandic Glaciers :)
  • Old Manhattan Blackest Black
  • Noodler's Black.

17140151048_df6c1f6626_c.jpg

Please note that the color on the screen isn't as nice as it is in person. The swab looks a little darker in person, but then the paper is whiter too, so once I started messing with the contrast and other tools to try to make the screen close to the actual sample, then the blacks were too intense. As a result I tweaked the brightness and the color cast to preserve some teal in the swab. The shading is super nice and very obvious with printing.

Edited by MKB

My contribution to the thread... All the original inks (Navajo, Old Manhattan and 54 Mass)

I am not getting the dramatic shading... but it shades nicely.. and I do LOVE the color.... :wub: :wub:

Thanks MASQUE !!! :lol:

fpn_1430458270__blackswan_icelandicwater

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

The exact degree and behaviour of the shading will depend also on the paper, your pen and humidity. Really dry air should stop the ink moving around the ink trail and give more dramatic shading than moister air that allows the ink to move around and settle a bit before it dries.

However, your shading does look pretty good.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching