What's Your Favourite Ballpoint Pen - And Why

mercurius

My favorite ball point pen is the Loclen Spica, I love the weight and the way it writes and fits in my hand , it also has a different and very cool look.

I can't agree more. Great choice!

I just saw that Loclen's got a titanium version as a kickstarter project: http://j.mp/SPICATitaniumPen_ks

Pretty cool!

B)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Stephen2020

• bernardo

• Sandy Fry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Safari Ballpen Blue colour Broad, very smooth.

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Lamy-M16-B-bl.jpg

Happy to respond to this zombie thread. :lol:

Here's a pic of my daily pocket carry, a Delta Elite BP and a Kaweco Sport FP:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/nihontochicken/IMG_0281_zps931c2f1c.jpg

I like the Delta Elite despite its rather pedestrian appearance because of its rather substantial grip that lessens writing fatigue for me, also its triangular shape that helps keep the clip off the web of my hand (irksome). It also uses a decent refill (Parker). The Kaweco Sport will, of course, likely survive me, continental drift, and perhaps even the Sun's red giant phase. ;)

Nihonto Chicken

Parker 45 Flighter has always been my favorite ballpoint. Other Parker Flighter's as well - Jotter, and others.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Fisher Space Pen Bullet, Black Titanium Nitride coating. With a black, medium point cartridge.

Loved it for its' pocketable size. Unfortunately, the person who nicked it from me must have thought the same thing when he pocketed my pen... :(

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Pilot Acroball, either the standard or the three-color version. It is cheap so I don't have to worry about it and the refill is better than in any of the more-expensive pens. In fact, it is the best refill in the world.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/16/k6ic.png

fpn_1394103779__flairconcorde.jpgI recently bought a Flair Concorde with low viscosity ink, very smooth writing and enjoyable to use.

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

This week I bought a new mechanical pencil from Cult Pens at it came with two free ballpoint pens: a Pilot G2 Limited and a Schneider Slider Edge XB, so ballpoints are back in my mind.

I've never liked G2s (or gels in particular), and the supposedly premium version hasn't improved things. Rattly and loose ball, and an ink that feels like it's trying to both blob and skip at the same time.

I've never knowingly used a Schneider before, and I must say that this one was excellent. The triangular, rubbery grip is nice in the hand and the writing is smooth and pleasant. The extra-broad nib is fun. Not bad for a £1.50 pen.

I bought a Uni Jetstream last year to find out what the fuss is about. It's so smooth and frictionless that too slippery for me and hard to control, so it's not for me. Nice blue ink, though.

My favourites are my Parker 45 and my Lamy 2000 ballpoint. The Schneider might move up there too.

I still have a serious number of BP's handy but I don't use them much. There are 2 Parker Urban's, 2 Parker IM's, 3 Waterman Hemisphere's, a Faber Castell Loom, a Sheaffer Award and a Cross Stratford. In my night-tabe is a Pilot G2 in my jacket always a Uniball 207. All the cheapo's leave the house when they see me :angry:

Edited by erpe

When I lecture I use a steno pad for my notes. Unfortunately the paper doesn't lend itself well of FP's, so I have to write everything with a ball pen. For my money its a vintage Parker Jotter with a Parker Blue Gel refill. Writes wet (for a ballpoint) and smooth.

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

I don't have a favourite ballpoint as such. I have though 2 MB ballpoints. One is part of a Starwalker set, the other a MB Fitzgerald set. I like them as I like the sets as a whole, individually I don't actually use the pens very often.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I just saw that Loclen's got a titanium version as a kickstarter project: http://j.mp/SPICATitaniumPen_ks

Pretty cool!

B)

Yes I saw it. I have already backed for a set of BP and MP. The new look of the mechanical pencil in titanium is simply astonishing. I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I hope that the project will get funded.

I use Parker Jotter in black, blue and red, with the new Parker Quink Flow refills. They are very smooth refills. I like the pens because they are nice looking, easy to replace if lost, takes Little space in my bag, suits my hand even if they are small and have great ink.

• 4 years later...

Can't go wrong with a Cross Century Classic. I have one of nearly every common finish, but prefer the classic black version with blue ink. I saw someone posted a picture of a gold one- I've got a 10k gold and a 14 k gold. Both seem to have tarnished in storage. I'll be really upset about that later, but right now I've got a migraine.

Sudden necropost xD Worth it to revive the thread, though, a few ballpoints have been released since 2014.

I'm assuming that rollerballs are out of the way.

Out of all the ballpoints I possess, I generally like the Faber-Castell Grip X5 the most. It lays down a fine line and doesn't have any problems, and looks nice. Problem is, it's definitely one of the scratchier ones out there. My Papermate Inkjoy 100RT writes much smoother, but at the cost of a thicker line and looking and feeling quite cheap.

I can see a higher level Papermate biro unseating that favourite position, but were that to happen, I'd probably start testing a bunch of other Faber-Castell pens in Malaysia, as well as the Pilot Rexgrip, to see if any can fight back. The model of the Grip X5 I have have been deprecated, in favour of some new ones; I want to try them.

Edited by Snowyfox

• 2 weeks later...

Without a doubt my Lamy 2000 in Makrolon, but I prefer Monteverde refills over Lamys. Would sure love one of those Taxus mentioned in an earlier answer but at about $250 here in Australia just can't justify that much for a ballpoint.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures