What's Your Favourite Ballpoint Pen - And Why

mercurius

Thanks Stephen...I will look into that. Both my Papermates are from the beginning of the 80's and I have been looking for a couple of years for refills for them here in the States.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Stephen2020

• bernardo

• Sandy Fry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a physical therapist and I jot notes on the go all day. I only use one pen: KarasKustoms "Bolt" in raw aluminum with a Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 (black) refill. It took 5 years to find the perfect combo, but for me this is the best pen + refill setup I've found.

http://karaskustoms.com/pens/the-bolt.html

Edited by superfreeka

Deodorant can't fix ugly.

I'm a physical therapist and I jot notes on the go all day. I only use one pen: KarasKustoms "Bolt" in raw aluminum with a Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 (black) refill. It took 5 years to find the perfect combo, but for me this is the best pen + refill setup I've found.

http://karaskustoms.com/pens/the-bolt.html

I am long past ever spending significant money on a bp, but that is one cool looking pen. The mechanism looks like it would be fun to fiddle with when you're bored at your desk.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Having just read this thread I thought I'd dig out all of the ball points I have a do a test of each. Now in the past if I needed a pen it was always my stainless parker jotter, However recently I bought some old sheaffers from eBay and in amongst them was a no nonsense ballpoint. So I got a refill for it and I have to say it is a really nice writer the only thing that puts me off slightly is after years of using the parker I know find myself sitting here trying to push a non existent button on the end of the sheaffer rather then unscrewing the cap.

No one is born hating another person because of the colour of their skin their background or their religion. People must learn to hate and if they can learn to hate they can be taught to love for love comes more naturally to the human heart than it's opposite.

Pilot Gel Pens are nice, but I wish I could get a Pilot Gel insert into a thicker housing.

You can. G2 refills (and some other gel refills) will fit into plastic Lamy Tipos. I think there was also some Kick Starter project that made metal bodies for Hi-Tec-C refills.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I brought home from SE Asia a Unia pen that houses G2 ink. I cannot find this brand anywhere in the USA and I wish I brought back more of the pens because they were cheap ($5~$10). The one I use fits nicely in my band and weight is great. I think the Unia pen is from the Pilot family but I cannot find any info.

Sterling silver Cross Classic Century because it's one of the three iconic ballpoint designs (other two being Bic Cristal and Parker Jotter) that has stood the test of time, because the ink is not too bad (not the best, but still decent), because of the warranty, and because of the precious metal, which really speaks to the value of "the Pen" in a philosophical sense (also makes a great gift).

Precious metal >> "Precious" resin

Edited by preciousmetal

Except as required, I stoppped using ballpoint pens decades ago. However, mine was the Parker Jotter. The refill writes very well, regardless of the pen. I still have a couple around the house. At least one is stainless steel.

However, my favorite has to be a green Parker Duofold ballpoint pen. It was sticking out of a yard-sale coffee mug, surrounded by a dozen worthless stick pens and charity solicitation pens. I bought the whole thing, including the mug, for the price of a BK Whopper meal.. Wanna see it ?

:happycloud9:

fpn_1346684723__duofold_pencil.jpg

Great find! My very first set is the burgundy cousin of your green pen. I've also got a blue marbled cousin 4 times removed (cap activated -- not nearly as elegant or fun to use). These and the matching propelling type pencils are simply out of this world!

Use long and prosper!

Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

[insert ritual denunciation of ballpoints here]

If we're talking about traditional ballpoints, not gel or liquid ink rollerballs, I like having a Fisher Space Pen around, either the bullet style, or a Parker Jotter with the Fisher refill. Not all the Fisher refills are equally good, but I've never had a problem with the black medium or blue fine ones, totally reliable, and as smooth writing as any ballpoint I've tried.

I was beginning to wonder when someone would acknowledge the Fisher pens. The bullet is especially nice in the watch pocket on blue jeans. Even better, in a car I've never had a Fisher leak in summer heat or freeze up in winter....

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I prefer the Parker Jotter, but it must be the older ones with the fine brass threads.

I like the feel of the weight of the pen. The Jotters that are made with the coarse plastic threads

don't do it for me. But my all time favorite Parker ballpoint is the 45 Cap actuated BP.

I can not have enough of them. When I see one I must have it. I do have a few Jotters with the

caps marked Made In Canada, England, Australia and USA. I just grab a Jotter with the pencil cap

for the push button and with a black ink refill.

Just started using my 31 year old Papermate again after finding out that the refills for the PhD fit it perfectly! Sanford ( papermate ) told me that refills were no longer made for my pen!!! I went in looking for a lubraglide refill suggested by Stephen but there were none in Office Depot but the salesman kindly opened a PhD refill for me to try and Voila!

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

Glad you got it working again :)

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

The Pilot Ageless is incredibly smooth and a great form factor. Next would be the Caran d`Ache 849/Ecridor and Ballograf.

-DM

Edited by Darkman

My current favorite that I carry every day (in addition to the 4-5 FPs I carry daily) is the Fisher AG-7, which is the original "space pen". But for years I've carried either my titanium or copper Embassy Pen on me.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

My favorite ball point pen is the Loclen Spica, I love the weight and the way it writes and fits in my hand , it also has a different and very cool look.

I can't agree more. Great choice!