Twsbi Mini Adjustment Tips

Maximumbob

Hi all,

I am a fan of twsbi, and have had good use out of my 540 for a long time now. I switched to the TWSBI mini when it was released, as this is perfect for me to carry in my pocket at work.

I have the standard fine nib.

Over the past few months I have had an increasing problem with ink gushing out of the pen at random moments. This is happening more and more frequently.

I initially assumed it was because I am keeping it in my pocket, but the problem is increasing in frequency.

My ink is Noodlers Heart of Darkness. I need a 'bulletproof' (or archival standard) black ink for my work.

Can anyone recommend any tips of tweaks I can do to minimise or fix this gushing.

Cheers

Max

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maximumbob

• TSherbs

• warblerick

• nomadhacker

Here's how I understand it from one of the old-timers :

The ink feed allows air to the ink reservoir. The air pressure pushes ink into the feed. As the feed fills with ink, the ink cuts off the air supply, causing the ink flow to stop. As writing depletes the feed, air is allowed to enter the ink reservoir, and ink flows to fill the feed. (Did I get it right, Sensei ?)

Could there be a poorly-timed entry of air ? Do you see seepage of ink inside the pen barrel ? or around the piston parts ?

Is there ink seepage around the joint of pen barrel and nib assembly ? Ink on the fingers after writing ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

It could also be the heat from having it in your pocket is expanding the air in the piston chamber, creating extra air pressure inside and thus forcing some of the ink out.

I am having the same problem, so am interested to see any answers. Fine nibbed Mini, but not normally carried in a pocket so heat is not an issue. Sometimes it actually throws ink onto whatever is under it when I remove the cap. Happening more frequently too. Otherwise I really like the little pen.. I am using OS Charles Darwin black.

I am having the same problem, so am interested to see any answers. Fine nibbed Mini, but not normally carried in a pocket so heat is not an issue. Sometimes it actually throws ink onto whatever is under it when I remove the cap. Happening more frequently too. Otherwise I really like the little pen.. I am using OS Charles Darwin black.

Does it happen with other inks? Charles Darwin is a very...enthusiastic ink ;) Very interesting and awesome properties, but drawbacks include feathering and bleeding, which I would think may also translate into being eager to jump off the pen more than others.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

Does it happen with other inks? Charles Darwin is a very...enthusiastic ink ;) Very interesting and awesome properties, but drawbacks include feathering and bleeding, which I would think may also translate into being eager to jump off the pen more than others.

Enthusiastic ink :lticaptd: !! I'll say. But it's other properties I like very much; fast dry (very fast dry) and water resistance. It does bleed through a bit on Rhodia pads but not terribly, and I use it for daily notes that eventually get tossed, so not a big issue. I haven't noticed any feathering either. But yes, because of these properties it does have behavior problems. I don't think I have tried it in other pens (and probably best not to). I have learned to live with it, and since it is the clear demo model, I can sometimes tell beforehand when an accident is about to occur.

I've had problems like this with a few different pens - more often than not it has been the nib not seated right on the feed, particularly at the back end (i.e. away from the tip) - this gives ink a bit of a gap to accumulate and then once you go to write gravity makes it overload the feed and nib.

• 5 months later...

My gushing problems have stopped. Now its gone the other way.

For some reason my ink flow will completely stop when I am in the middle of writing. Surprisingly... quickly unscrewing and re-srewing the nib unit will recommence the flow.

I have tried flushing with water/soap then flushing with clean water, but no change. The ink is noodlers eternal darkness.

Any ideas.. I'm beginning to feel like this pen is a feast or a famine! Otherwise it is a perfect writer :-)

And for five months it wrote fine?

When she writes it is fine. The intermittent splurges have now turned to intermittent dry outs...

It might be now that there is not adequate air exchange back into the barrel of the pen. Or the nib and feed may have become pressed to tight toward each other.

i felt that airflow might have something to do with it, but I'm not experienced enough to be sure. Any ideas on a fix?

Edit: thanks for the help btw

Edited by Maximumbob

I can't remember how the Mini's section and feed and nib all tighten to the barrel. Is it possible to loosen the feed so that some more air can exchange back into the barrel?

Does this happen with other/all inks?

How much do you write before it begins to run dry? How do you store it when not used? How does it start up after a day or so of non-use?

Do you ever put anything in the barrel other than ink/water? I don't ever use soap or detergent because I am worried about residue buildup over time, particularly in a piston filler.

• 1 month later...

Ok. So over a few weeks I repeatedly and gently stretched my tines away from the feed using downward pressure. The TWSBI nib and feeder are joined together so I couldn't take it apart then put it together again :-(

The pen seems to be writing much better again, with a good flow and not drying out. Hopefully thats it back to normal again.

Cheers for the help

Max