Private Reserve Black Cherry

nomadhacker

post-97661-0-04724500-1381710263_thumb.jpeg

You think you're buying black cherry ink. But what you're really buying is...black cherry ink. You're probably expecting with a name like black cherry that this will look like that dark red color from the kool-aid packets or the soda can. But the thing is, this is the color of actual black cherries, if you've ever eaten them off the tree. So this is probably a bit more brown than you're thinking it'll be.

This ink will vary, depending on the paper and on your pen. In a wet pen, or on more absorbent paper, the red color shows up a little stronger. Otherwise, you're looking at a sort of continuum up to a barely red-tinted brown. One thing to note, is as the ink ages on the paper, it will tend to brown a little bit, so that some of the red will disappear. I've seen this happen when looking at my scribblings months or weeks later.

I have heard some reports about the actual bottles turning a little brown with time and age. This and Orange Crush. But I haven't seen anything too recent, so I'm thinking Private Reserve may have gotten it under control. Also, it seems if you do have this happen and contact them, they are pretty responsive.

I really like this color, personally. It's unique and has character. I've been using this color for a while, one of my first inks, and I was honestly surprised at the amount of water resistance it had. I hadn't actually had any liquid disasters hit anything with this ink, fortunately, but it appears things would smear, but be readable if they did.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nomadhacker

• amberleadavis

• rockydoggy

• PatientType

This was one of my first Private Reserve purchases several years ago and it's still an ink that I return to pretty frequently. I think that my bottle may, in fact, have gotten a bit browner over time, but the color still works well for me. PR Burgundy Mist is another early adoption that's never fallen out of favor for me. Both of these inks are great for editing and correcting.

Yeah this is one of my workhorse inks. Unique color. Good for notes or for writing. Sort of vintage color looking. I tend to use the brighter ones like bright greens or oranges for correcting.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

I also had both PR Black Cherry and Burgundy Mist inks. I had it in my head that they were virtually the same color. When I did a color test I found that there was a visible difference. Of the two, I preferred the Burgundy Mist so that's been a regular ink for me ever since.

I don't buy inks that are very close in color because I'm not that picky about the exact shade.

Early on I mollified my hunger for pens I couldn't afford by buying bottles of ink. My stock got so huge that I started giving away bottles. So I began just keeping one representative brand and color for each major ink "family." I used various inks until I had a dark brown ink, a golden brown ink, a dark red, a medium blue, a dark blue, black, a blue/black, a shading red/yellow, a purple, and a dark green that I like. I have a few water proof or permanent inks.

When these run out I plan to buy the same color and brand to replace the empties. Were I to see an ink that I like better than one of my standards, I'd likely switch to the new ink and no longer purchase the old one. I suppose it would be nice to have four different medium brown inks but it would take me ten years to empty that many bottles of one color type so I'm not motivated to own racks of inks.

I too feel like I am getting closer to getting the ink set that I like, for my ideal lineup. I think that a lot of fountain pen users probably have to explore many options to find the inks that they want. That's why samples are soo awesome. :D And there is the Ink Sample Exchange thread on this forum to turn to as well.

I have used this for years, and in spite of moving away from the brand almost completely, have never found a good replacement for this particular shade. Very nice, and you describe it perfectly. :)

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Looks more glace cherry than black cherry. I must be eating the wrong thing... :D

Well I have to say, this doesn't taste like black cherry. Can't recommend it based on the taste.

• 2 months later...

Well I have to say, this doesn't taste like black cherry. Can't recommend it based on the taste.

You're spending too much time with the kids if you want everything to taste like Kool Aid. :)

Great review, as always.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks. I do have an enormous sweet tooth and always have. In recent years I have tried to reign it in by limiting my sugar intake. But I have to say, if De Atramentis or any other company really wanted my money, they'd make an ink that you could taste as well as smell (without any ill chemical effects :) ) Those who grew up chewing on the ends of their pens might put in some cash also.

Thanks. I do have an enormous sweet tooth and always have. In recent years I have tried to reign it in by limiting my sugar intake. But I have to say, if De Atramentis or any other company really wanted my money, they'd make an ink that you could taste as well as smell (without any ill chemical effects :) ) Those who grew up chewing on the ends of their pens might put in some cash also.

As I just quoted on another thread

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This has been one of my favorite inks in the last five years. As said in the review, it has an 'antique' color which I value. Seems to perform well on a variety of inks with a variety of nibs. Mine seems a little darker than what my screen shows here.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious