Show Me Your Colorful Omas Celluloid Pens!

elderberry

Hi all,

I was set on getting the Omas Ogiva Vintage LE in Arco brown next month, however I've grabbed an old style Paragon in this color off eBay recently (gorgeous color, gorgeous pen, really) and as Omas offers such a great range of celluloid colors I wonder if I should get another color instead.

I already have an Extra Lucens and said Paragon in arco brown. So if you have other colors, I'd love to see them! Also I'd like to hear what you love most about these particular colors.

(I will be browsing online stores as well but that's just not the same)

Picture of my Omas Extra Lucens for starters:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uGjATDCxeSE/UiitxnD_tdI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/Gai_-exvEnU/s1600/Lucens3.JPG

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• elderberry

• mrchan

• georges zaslavsky

As an owner of an Extra Lucens myself, I was wondering if you also felt that the pen was quite..cheap..feeling? I mean it looks beautiful and all that, but the lightness and the plasticky feel of the barrel and cap was a bit of a disappointment to me..The creaking piston filler mechanism although working well, felt very..ugh..cheap..The feed although looks like it was fitted in properly, was sticking out partially of the nib shoulder edges..Doesn't seem to push in any further..Not sure if this is how it is usually but I was quite underwhelmed by the supposedly limited edition extra lucens..Looks-wise it is quite nice but..Perhaps because this is my first omas and I wasn't sure what to expect..Any thoughts?

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I have a 360 lucens and a modern Paragon Arco, I think that they are very well made. I will add a 360 burkina in december 2013 and a paragon extra lucens in january 2014. To Mr Chan, you should give another chance to Omas because in the mid late 1990's there used to be some manufacturing flaws with Omas pens, not the case anymore.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hi mrchan,

I agree with you at the point that the pen is indeed very lightweight. All Omas celluloid pens seem to be that way and being used to the weight of large Pelikan or Montblanc pens this takes some getting used to. Someone here on FPN said that it felt and looked like it was made of sugar which is very fitting. However I didn't have the impression of poor craftsmanship just because of the weight, it all felt reassuring enough.

The piston... Well, yes, I also get your point there. At first the piston refused to move at all and when I finally kept it going it went easily enough (and soundlessly) but definitely far from smooth. My TWSBI is way smoother. It's still fully functional but the first impression is not as good as it could be. Interestingly enough it's only the two Paragon sized pens having this problem, my Milord sized Bibliotheque Nationale is way smoother piston wise.

Still they have that special something. I've definitely caught the bug with that Extra Lucens, also because of the nib which is one of the best I've had out of the box. Also the feed seems to be exactly where it belongs.

Georges, if you have any pictures of your Omas pens I'd like to see them. :)

Edited by elderberry

The Celluloid Collection contained one of each color (at the time) and one of each nib. Here are a few pictures:

http://www.fototime.com/%7BCCFBB85A-CDAE-4A9D-AAE8-45B992B84153%7D/origpict/DSCN7112.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3846E0B3-4B07-4714-8990-2ACB307FAF7C%7D/origpict/pens.jpg

From L to R are Scarlet, Royal Blue, Arco Green, Saft Green, Saffron, Arco Brown, and Grey

And here are the nibs, with the set containing one of each.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BBAE4E501-2DC3-49A4-B095-73775FDF5FA1%7D/origpict/nibs.jpg

My total Omas collection also contains resin pieces, but all are the faceted models. I have added a few since this picture was taken.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B9F9DDD2B-5E29-44A8-AEDA-A152E7A5CF1E%7D/origpict/DSCN7159.JPG

ok here are some of my omas pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/P7070350.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/P7070351.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/P7070352.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/P7070353.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/PA070043.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

... Those're mine OMAS beuty! :wub:

http://i.imgur.com/FwygYtV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QIPtu9e.jpg

All with EF semi-rigid or EF extra flessibile nib

http://i.imgur.com/CSjlEEb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vlJWvWJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fG7Z6ui.jpg

Edited by colex

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

Great pictures, thanks all! I like the Grey and the Saft Green. As the Ogiva Vintage LE is also available in this color I might go for that instead. :wub:

I have a 360 lucens and a modern Paragon Arco, I think that they are very well made. I will add a 360 burkina in december 2013 and a paragon extra lucens in january 2014. To Mr Chan, you should give another chance to Omas because in the mid late 1990's there used to be some manufacturing flaws with Omas pens, not the case anymore.

Hi mrchan,

I agree with you at the point that the pen is indeed very lightweight. All Omas celluloid pens seem to be that way and being used to the weight of large Pelikan or Montblanc pens this takes some getting used to. Someone here on FPN said that it felt and looked like it was made of sugar which is very fitting. However I didn't have the impression of poor craftsmanship just because of the weight, it all felt reassuring enough.

The piston... Well, yes, I also get your point there. At first the piston refused to move at all and when I finally kept it going it went easily enough (and soundlessly) but definitely far from smooth. My TWSBI is way smoother. It's still fully functional but the first impression is not as good as it could be. Interestingly enough it's only the two Paragon sized pens having this problem, my Milord sized Bibliotheque Nationale is way smoother piston wise.

Still they have that special something. I've definitely caught the bug with that Extra Lucens, also because of the nib which is one of the best I've had out of the box. Also the feed seems to be exactly where it belongs.

Georges, if you have any pictures of your Omas pens I'd like to see them. :)

Yeah perhaps I'll hang on to the pen for a while more and see how it goes. Haven't inked it yet because when I received it I was a bit underwhelmed and was mulling over what to do with it..I mean no doubt it does look nice and shiny and the colour is simply gorgeous..I guess after having used MBs and Pelikans, a little weight makes the pen seem a bit more worthy of the high costs paid to obtain it and I was suddenly frankly surprised at how light and..plasticky it felt..Perhaps I'll stare at it for a while more and see what happens..

Nice pics btw guys.

I don't have any celluloid OMAS's. Yet.

As an owner of an Extra Lucens myself, I was wondering if you also felt that the pen was quite..cheap..feeling? I mean it looks beautiful and all that, but the lightness and the plasticky feel of the barrel and cap was a bit of a disappointment to me..The creaking piston filler mechanism although working well, felt very..ugh..cheap..The feed although looks like it was fitted in properly, was sticking out partially of the nib shoulder edges..Doesn't seem to push in any further..Not sure if this is how it is usually but I was quite underwhelmed by the supposedly limited edition extra lucens..Looks-wise it is quite nice but..Perhaps because this is my first omas and I wasn't sure what to expect..Any thoughts?

Weight and quality are not related, both light and heavy pens can be found at most price and quality levels, and OMAS mostly cater to writers who prefer lighter pens. The Lucens is advertised as being made from celluloid (a type of plastic), thus it hardly seems fair to criticise it for feeling like it's made from plastic. OMAS's piston fillers and (occassionally) plating are weakness of the brand, while their nibs and feeds are strengths.

I should have a 360 Lucens coming my way later this month. :D

Edited by raging.dragon

For some strange reason I still don't think "plastic" when touching a celluloid pen. I noticed this when I compared them to my CS Churchill in Amber acrylic. The acrylic itself is gorgeous but it does feel like plastic where the Omas, strangely, doesn't. Get another acrylic pen? Depends. Another celluloid? Anytime.

The Lucens is advertised as being made from celluloid (a type of plastic), thus it hardly seems fair to criticise it for feeling like it's made from plastic.

Btw Mrchan, have you ever tried a Montegrappa? They have beautiful celluloids as well but the pens are nicely weighted too.

Edited by elderberry

I don't have any celluloid OMAS's. Yet.

Weight and quality are not related, both light and heavy pens can be found at most price and quality levels, and OMAS mostly cater to writers who prefer lighter pens. The Lucens is advertised as being made from celluloid (a type of plastic), thus it hardly seems fair to criticise it for feeling like it's made from plastic. OMAS's piston fillers and (occassionally) plating are weakness of the brand, while their nibs and feeds are strengths.

Perhaps you might need to get a feel of one before you can judge.

I'm not criticising it, it does feel a bit cheap in my opinion (which I am entitled to). Of course you are free to disagree, its just how I feel, but like I said I'd mull over it, and handle it a bit and see if I decide to keep it. I didn't say weight and quality are related but when I handle this pen compared to some of the others, it just doesn't feel like its worth the asking price.

I asked a friend who is also a FP fan if he wanted to buy it, and while he was very interested initially, he lost interest after handling the pen, his opinion coinciding with mine that it doesn't feel like its a $1000 pen.

For some strange reason I still don't think "plastic" when touching a celluloid pen. I noticed this when I compared them to my CS Churchill in Amber acrylic. The acrylic itself is gorgeous but it does feel like plastic where the Omas, strangely, doesn't. Get another acrylic pen? Depends. Another celluloid? Anytime.

Btw Mrchan, have you ever tried a Montegrappa? They have beautiful celluloids as well but the pens are nicely weighted too.

The only Montegrappa I have is a Reminiscence which is a beautiful silver one that I can't bring myself to ink..Perhaps I will in the near future. Right now I have quite a few pens to play around with. Haven't tried the Montegrappa celluloids, perhaps I shall consider it. Your pen collection is drool worthy btw elderberry, esp your Pelikan Raden Sunlight, and your numerous Nakayas.

:puddle: OMAS has some of the most beautiful celluloid pens out there. I don't have any celluloid models any more, just a Paragon and an Ogiva but it is my experience (with OMAS pens from the 80s-00s) that the pistons are not smooth at all. I have not had any break on me but they don't give me a lot of confidence. I have had older OMAS pens from the 50s and those are unquestionably high quality.

[...]

I also prefer the feel of celluloid (and other cellosic plastics like cellulose acetate and OMAS's cotton resin) over acrylic.

Perhaps you might need to get a feel of one before you can judge.

I'm not criticising it, it does feel a bit cheap in my opinion (which I am entitled to). Of course you are free to disagree, its just how I feel, but like I said I'd mull over it, and handle it a bit and see if I decide to keep it. I didn't say weight and quality are related but when I handle this pen compared to some of the others, it just doesn't feel like its worth the asking price.

I asked a friend who is also a FP fan if he wanted to buy it, and while he was very interested initially, he lost interest after handling the pen, his opinion coinciding with mine that it doesn't feel like its a $1000 pen.

The only Montegrappa I have is a Reminiscence which is a beautiful silver one that I can't bring myself to ink..Perhaps I will in the near future. Right now I have quite a few pens to play around with. Haven't tried the Montegrappa celluloids, perhaps I shall consider it. Your pen collection is drool worthy btw elderberry, esp your Pelikan Raden Sunlight, and your numerous Nakayas.

I've handled several celluloid OMAS's, am expecting a celluloid OMAS later this month (a 360 Lucens), and own several OMAS's made from pretty much every material except celluloid. I also own several celluloid pens from other brands (Visconti, Delta, Stipula). This may be largely because the only OMAS's I've been collection are original 360 variants, and the selection of celluloid 360's is rather limited.

I must've misinterpreted your comment. I thought you were referring to the pen's plastic contruction, not a general sense that the build quality left a bit to be desired. The latter I'd have to agree with, in specific: I find OMAS's pistons are stiff and feel fragile (a very disconcerting combination), and their plating has been hit and miss over the years. On the otherhand, I love OMAS's nibs and the original 360 design.

I must've misinterpreted your comment. I thought you were referring to the pen's plastic contruction, not a general sense that the build quality left a bit to be desired. The latter I'd have to agree with, in specific: I find OMAS's pistons are stiff and feel fragile (a very disconcerting combination), and their plating has been hit and miss over the years. On the otherhand, I love OMAS's nibs and the original 360 design.

Yeah I totally agree with that, while I saw in real life the arco brown and am in love with the colour, it feels kinda fragile and..light-ish..I love the 12 sided design very much tho..Perhaps I'll keep my extra lucens afterall..

Yeah I totally agree with that, while I saw in real life the arco brown and am in love with the colour, it feels kinda fragile and..light-ish..I love the 12 sided design very much tho..Perhaps I'll keep my extra lucens afterall..

Some of the Paragon LE's have an extremely thin cap edge, that is probably fragile. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the cap and barrel being fragile, especially on celluloid models. The light weight is probably due to the absence of metal in their piston mechanism, but I can't blame it's fragile feel on the lack of metal - my Tibaldi Imperio has an equally light weight piston mechanism that feels solid enough.