hari317

My experience too.

So far, only Kandan of Ranga pens has been easily accessible. ASA pens seems to be as well, hope they sustain this over time.

Any pen seller is dependent on the whims and fancies of the small time pen makers who suddenly stop, frequently modify designs etc. I think ASApens might be similarly susceptible. One cannot provide what does not exist anymore. Similarly some pens are made in materials that were old stock and once the raw material is gone, its gone... what can the pen maker do?

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Fuellerfuehrerschein

• a_m

• subbucal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Hari...thank you so much...I received the Gama Supreme yesterday morning, and spent the whole morning appreciating its looks...it has been quite a while since I had seen a well-made and good looking ebonite pen of this size apart from the ones made by Deccan...and the ripples...wow...again, it is after a long time that I saw a good rippled ebonite FP...the last one I think was the Ratnamson Supreme Green ebonite...and in the evening I inked it with Pelikan Brilliant Black and the writing was nice, smooth, and easy...and the fact that you had fit in an 'Adv' nib I think helped the cause...

I only hope that this current batch of the Gama Supreme is not a one-off thing and that they would continue to produce this pen with the consistency that would build on the goodwill generated by this pen...

Thanks again, Hari...

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

The following procedure for filling and priming an Indian ED may be helpful:

1. Apply silicone grease on the section threads and screw and unscrew the section a couple of times to let the grease penetrate

Can you please tell where I can get silicon grease in India. The hardware shops in the place where I live show me sealant spray saying this is "silicon". My plumber tells me that sealant is washable and can be used on FP threads. Thanks

Rajan

Can you please tell where I can get silicon grease in India. The hardware shops in the place where I live show me sealant spray saying this is "silicon". My plumber tells me that sealant is washable and can be used on FP threads. Thanks

Rajan

In India? OK, buy it from the Goodwill hardware stores at Chembur Naka, Mumbai. Seriously, you need to tell where in India you are located, our country stretches from Karakoram to the Andamans!

Don't buy the plumber stuff. look for Metroark 211 compound.

Even candle wax gently rubbed to the section threads will work beautifully. :)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

In India? OK, buy it from the Goodwill hardware stores at Chembur Naka, Mumbai. Seriously, you need to tell where in India you are located, our country stretches from Karakoram to the Andamans!

Hi Hari,

I normally use Vaseline... is that okay?

I am from Thrissur, Kerala.

You are a very lucky man to live in the proximity of Vadakkunnathan. Beautiful place, I have visited several times.

Unfortunately, I have not looked for pen related stuff at Thrissur. so I don't have any specific leads to help you.

You are a very lucky man to live in the proximity of Vadakkunnathan. Beautiful place, I have visited several times.

Unfortunately, I have not looked for pen related stuff at Thrissur. so I don't have any specific leads to help you.

Maybe it's time to make a trip Hari and share more spectacular discoveries with us :D

I normally use Vaseline... is that okay?

Mr. Krishnamurthy of Meenakshi Stores suggested the same when i was looking for silicon gel/grease :)

Hari:

As you suggested, ASA pens seems to be quite willing to respond to communication. I was able to reach them through their store on eBay India. And thank you for once again finding a remarkable pen that I would not have seen otherwise. (But I'm not sure my budget thanks you.)

ron

Thrissur is one of perhaps three places I fantasize about retiring in. I haven't been there yet but the fantasy is lovely.

Sir,

Look for Silicon Grease at shops which sell electronic spares...Its a important paste used on Heat-sink ( a Metal used to absorb heat from IC etc). Its commonly applied by TV/radio technicians.

Silica Grease is a better option to Vaseline..Vaseline provides only lubrication, whereas Silica Gel is also acts as a sealant...when applied to section threads it acts as a lubricant as well as a sealant. So, ink leaks/seeps can also be minimised....Again, when you hold the section (while writing) body heat passed on to section is absorbed by the grease due to their heat absorbing properties.

Hari:

As you suggested, ASA pens seems to be quite willing to respond to communication. I was able to reach them through their store on eBay India. And thank you for once again finding a remarkable pen that I would not have seen otherwise. (But I'm not sure my budget thanks you.)

ron

Thank you Ron, buying from ASAPENS I am sure your wallet will only be delighted. :)

Sir,

Look for Silicon Grease at shops which sell electronic spares...Its a important paste used on Heat-sink ( a Metal used to absorb heat from IC etc). Its commonly applied by TV/radio technicians.

Silica Grease is a better option to Vaseline..Vaseline provides only lubrication, whereas Silica Gel is also acts as a sealant...when applied to section threads it acts as a lubricant as well as a sealant. So, ink leaks/seeps can also be minimised....Again, when you hold the section (while writing) body heat passed on to section is absorbed by the grease due to their heat absorbing properties.

While buying Silicon Grease ensure its Pure Silicon Grease....it should not be mixed with Alumina powder, as it may have adverse effect on the threads...look for Metroark 211...

Thank you Ron, buying from ASAPENS I am sure your wallet will only be delighted. :)

Hari:

I'm thinking about ordering a Gama Supreme. Could you comment on, or even post a photo, of the pen in comparison to a Ratnamson Supreme in terms of size?

Thanks,

David

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Hari:

I'm thinking about ordering a Gama Supreme. Could you comment on, or even post a photo, of the pen in comparison to a Ratnamson Supreme in terms of size?

Thanks,

David

Clash of the Supremes... :) Ok, I just now located and took out my Ratnamson Supreme to provide the pics, pls forgive the quick grainy images, working with a handheld camera :)

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t543/hari_317/GamaSupreme/IMG_9177.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t543/hari_317/GamaSupreme/IMG_9180.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t543/hari_317/GamaSupreme/IMG_9183.jpg

HTH

Hari

Ask and ye shall receive... thanks, Hari. Wow, it's a little bigger than the Ratnamson! Well, that doesn't scare me (as he pulls out his Varuna Gajendra and steps in to face Adam Wainwright...).

The only thing about the Gama that doesn't grab me is the cap ring. I'm not crazy about that way of having it at the very end of the cap. I like the Ratnamson's slightly set-back, two-ring style better. I'd like the Gama more if it had no cap ring at all vs. what it does have.

What does appeal to me vs. the Ratnamson is the Gama's longer and thicker section. I like 'em fat.

Thanks again for the comparison photos!

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Ask and ye shall receive... thanks, Hari. Wow, it's a little bigger than the Ratnamson! Well, that doesn't scare me (as he pulls out his Varuna Gajendra and steps in to face Adam Wainwright...).

The only thing about the Gama that doesn't grab me is the cap ring. I'm not crazy about that way of having it at the very end of the cap. I like the Ratnamson's slightly set-back, two-ring style better. I'd like the Gama more if it had no cap ring at all vs. what it does have.

What does appeal to me vs. the Ratnamson is the Gama's longer and thicker section. I like 'em fat.

Thanks again for the comparison photos!

Yes, it is a nice thick pen, in fact, it is the thickest Indian Ebonite pen that I have seen to date...

If you see the pic where I show the inner cap, you will notice that the cap's lip thins down, so this metal ring has a functional requirement to be there to provide a long service life to the cap.

I am sure the aesthetics can be improved, there is a huge scope, I think Gem should do that, develop on this solid foundation.

Sir,

You should be able to get Heat-sink paste at a computer repair shop as well. It is used to insulate almost all CPUs. If you have a PC repair guy or a shop, ask them to get the heat-sink paste.

I have also used Silicone lubricant in highly viscous liquid form - it came as a lubricant for my treadmill. It is a bit like the silicone you get along with TWSBI pens, but in mega quantities. So you can also check out a fitness shop as well. Most treadmills come with silicone lubricant in either bottles (viscous liquid) or spray form. The sprays are tricky to use, but the bottles come with nozzle and are really easy to use. I typically use an ear bud to dip into the bottle and apply the lubricant.

But the best option is Metroark 211 - it is quite commonly available.

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson