Nalgene 15Ml / 1/2Oz Bottle Is A Nice Size For Travelling Ink.

New_Falcon

Hello All,

Recently, I've been using my Lamy 2000 a lot and in my Falcon moved over to using the cartridge converter.

Doing that inevitably comes up with having ink reserves in case you run out in the office or at home or out and about.

I'm probably not like most on FPN in that I only have one bottle of ink and when I'm down to the end of that I go buy another one. My typical ink usage is for the Lamy a week and the Falcon about 4 days.

Anyway I found some Nalgene 1oz wide mouth locally and had been using that. Saying that though it bugged me that there were a lot of recommendations for the 1/2oz size. I think OcalaFlGuy even said

"...1/2 oz, 15 ml, narrow mouth Nalgene bottles. Period.

Just Trust Me on this...."

From here. I hope that link works.

Anyway I managed to find the 1/2oz in a little camping store. Mr OcalaFlGuy should be trusted on this.

Height wise there's not that much difference, but the differnce in width is significant. The 1oz, is not bulky or awkward, but you do know if you have it in a pants pocket or a jacket. The 1/2oz you don't even realise you have them. As I said I don't really go through ink too fast but would like to have some with me when I go travelling. Looking for the 1/2 oz is definitely worth it.

I'm guessing that I'll be able to get a good 10 refills out of this, which in my case is about 2 1/2 months.

They're a little harder to find locally, REI and the container store have the 1oz and above, but the 1/2 oz is just such a convenient size and I don't really need the 30mls of ink the 1oz would give me, when travelling.

P.S. I'm sure lot's of other FPN'ers have recommended the 15oz, it's just that the post from Mr. OcalaFlGuy stuck in my mind.

Edited by New_Falcon

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Ceilidh

• New_Falcon

• Centopar

Top Posters In This Topic

I fly a lot for work, and I usually just stick a couple of bottles of ink, undecanted but with lids screwed firmly on, in my toilet bag. Never had a leak. (I did have a nail polish leak once. That was a whole different story.)

Chuckling. :D

Yes indeedy New Falcon, they certainly are the kitties jammies for travel vials.

The last time I was looking for them I almost freeked as I couldn't find the 1/2 ozers. (The 1 oz really are just too large) I ended up ordering 15 of them from Nalgene just to be sure I was set.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I need a bit more volume, but I also use a Nalgene plastic jar. Carried in suitcases, ruck sacks, bags. Just be careful. Unlike glass bottles, they are very light and can be easily tipped over. For example a gust of wind can turn a sheet of paper under the jar .... When traveling and ink can't be bought locally, a spill could be a big prob.

If anyone has a link to the 1/2 oz wide mouth, I'd appreciate it. I haven't been able to find anything but the narrow mouth for ages. (1 oz wide mouth yes, but not the 15ml wide)

I've searched that site before and once again, the smallest widemouth I can find is 1 ounce, no 1/2 ounce. Oh, well, I'll just use the 1 ounce bottles I can find at Container Store.

Edited by Ceilidh

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Narrow-Mouth-Bottle-2-Ounce/dp/B001OPJLWI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381601659&sr=8-3&keywords=1%2F2+oz+nalgene+bottle

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=70126&gclid=CKny5IT0kboCFSho7AodVn4AEg

http://www.hikelight.com/nalgene-containers.html

It DOES appear that maybe Nalgene has discontinued the smallest sizes. Get these while you can, where ever you can. These are much more the right size for traveling ink than the 1 oz.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks, Bruce! I was beginning to think I was missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time. :) ) I think the narrow mouth will work for enough of my pens that it will be worth ordering some of those in the smaller size. The 1 oz are a little big to carry around, although they will do for keeping some ink at work.

The 1/2 oz bottle I have is definitely a lot narrower than the 1 oz, so I'd guess it's a narrow mouth bottle. I actually think that the narrow mouth is better as it raises the ink level for you pens. So as long as the pen fits in the bottle, you'll be good to go.

I went back to the camp store this morning and grabbed the last 5 he had on the shelf. Unfortunately the owner said he probably wouldn't be getting anymore in.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

• 2 weeks later...

So, with winter coming on, and my briefcase living in my trunk in ND, has anyone tried freezing one of these bottles with ink in it? Or water as a test? Just curious what the performance is like in that situation.

JS