wacko1128

Thanks to some members of this forum, I've been quite bitten by the sterling silver bug. Yard-o-Led has found a special place in my collection as you can see, but I've tried to branch out to other manufacturers. Most everything was bought second hand and I've been cycling through using each one (even the ballpoints sometimes). Anyone else found that silver writing instruments are a real joy to use? I didn't think I would like the pencils as much as I do. I'm sure part of that is the unique and novel YOL system of lead storage and replacement. Enough of my rambling and onto a picture.

post-86648-0-02761300-1381528077_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wacko1128

• jar

• da vinci

• Atmos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice array of Sterling! Love the YOL's. I've been bitten lately by the sterling bug too! I'll have to get the family together for a pic.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Indeed it is a nice array of Sterling. I have love sterling silver since I was a pup and got my first Parker 75. The Parker blurb which came with the P75

gave good advice and it was recommended to use the weight of the pen and not press.As regards cleaning they also recommended use. Again, lovely collection.

jar: I do have a Waterman 452 1\2v with a silver overlay and a flex nib, but am still pretty new to the pen world so I don't know where to look next. I've seen some real nice ones out there, but many seem out of my price range. Went to pencils for a while I try to plan my next move. Any suggestions (under $400)?

Been getting use to 1.1mm lead too, but it helps to usually favor broad nibs.

Edited by wacko1128

jar: I do have a Waterman 452 1\2v with a silver overlay and a flex nib, but am still pretty new to the pen world so I don't know where to look next. I've seen some real nice ones out there, but many seem out of my price range. Went to pencils for a while I try to plan my next move. Any suggestions (under $400)?

Been getting use to 1.1mm lead too, but it helps to usually favor broad nibs.

Since you seem to like Waterman and Sheaffer, both have made some wonderful but still reasonably priced pens. In Waterman watch for a Gentleman and in Sheaffer watch for a Targa (4 basic designs and 16 variations) and Imperials (3 different models). Another I run across fairly often at pretty reasonable prices are the Montegrappa 302 and 402, all Sterling silver pens that are about the size of the Sheaffer Targa.

My Website

Targa looks interesting and I would like to add a more modern Waterman so I'll look into those. Definitely will see if I can find those Montegrappas. Love the looks of many of their pens and I do love some Italian pens I have (Aurora). Thanks.

Edited by wacko1128

Targa looks interesting and I would like to add a more modern Waterman so I'll look into those. Definitely will see if I can find those Montegrappas. Love the looks of many of their pens and I do love some Italian pens I have (Aurora). Thanks.

Maybe these will help.

A Sheaffer Targa and Montegrappa 302:

http://www.fototime.com/B97FF4FD9FAC83E/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BCF4F405D4F661C/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/049AA7149598EBE/standard.jpg

and a Waterman Gentleman:

http://www.fototime.com/37613E8449EBED7/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/0AA46AAE8BEDBAE/standard.jpg

My Website

I love solid sterling silver fountain pens! My favorite is my Yard O Lead oversize in barleycorn finish. My Namiki sterling hawk is a close second. I like the heft that sterling silver adds to a pen. Regards.

John

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

jar I think you have me sold on the 302. Now I just have to find one. Not too sure on the others how I feel about the mix of silver with gold trim.

I've seen that Aurora has a sterling Iplison and I wonder how that feels in the hand. I have a plain one, but don't like the nib much and haven't had time to work on it.

Iscribe: A Nimiki sterling looks nice too. I think that has something like an inlaid nib. Not a pen I've heard much about, but your comment makes me want to think twice.

Just thinking about some of my other pens (vintage and modern) and I wish some were available in silver. Not sure, but a Parker 51 with silver cap (I know those exist), but also a silver barrel sounds like an awesome pen to me.

jar I think you have me sold on the 302. Now I just have to find one. Not too sure on the others how I feel about the mix of silver with gold trim.

Just thinking about some of my other pens (vintage and modern) and I wish some were available in silver. Not sure, but a Parker 51 with silver cap (I know those exist), but also a silver barrel sounds like an awesome pen to me.

The 302 will have Sterling silver clip and section while the 402 will have vermeil furniture and clip.

You can see both versions here.

My Website

These pens are absolutely gorgeous! I've been trying to hint to family that I could really use a YOL Vicerory Grand Victorian for a med school graduation gift.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." - Terry Pratchet

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1338/hxl1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of Cross Century sterling silver (bp and fp) which I enjoy. Just recently picked up a sterling silver Targa pencil and a full set of Parker 75 (fp, bp, pencil) in sterling silver cisele.

I've also a few sterling silver cufflinks (including one set which are fully functional abacuses).

Here's something I got into regarding sterling silver some years ago when I was working in Asia. Somewhere I learned that in Japan many purposely chose NOT to polish their sterling silver items, preferring to allow them to develop a patina (we'd say tarnish). I've allowed all of mine to do so and I also enjoy that look. (Of course the Targa pencil and the Parker 75 have yet to develop this patina.) Any comments?

Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"