Want High Quality Notebooks For Much Cheaper?

tjt7a

Hello everyone,

I recently bought several Black 'N Red notebooks from amazon, and I've got to say that I'm thoroughly impressed! These notebooks are made of high quality materials and the paper within is glossy and gives me very little show-through even with a wet 1.1mm nib writing with a very wet ink+pen combination. All of this for a fraction of the equivalent Rhodia notebook.

I definitely recommend them. I will post some photos and tests if anyone is interested.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N2theBreach

• amberleadavis

• tjt7a

• WirsPlm

I've added one of their book bound ones to my cart for my next Amazon-ing.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

I have some lawyer-couple friends, they both swear by them and protect them to the point of having very comical lawyer-ish language about the conditions under which the spouse may use, move, or otherwise modify the condition and/or position of said notebook. It's pretty funny.

I have some lawyer-couple friends, they both swear by them and protect them to the point of having very comical lawyer-ish language about the conditions under which the spouse may use, move, or otherwise modify the condition and/or position of said notebook. It's pretty funny.

I think you are talking about conversion, this is a civil action used when a spouse intentionally interferes with the other spouse's Black 'N Red notebook.

The victim spouse will succeed in a suit against the thief spouse if:

(1) the victim spouse owns or has the right to possess the Black 'N Red notebook in question at the time of the interference;

(2) the thief spouse intentionally interfered with the victim spouse's Black 'N Red notebook;

(3) the interference deprived the victim spouse of possession or use of the Black 'N Red notebook in question; and

(4) the interference caused damages to the victim spouse.

The clincher is whether the spouse writes in the others notebook, thus causing "damages". :lticaptd:

* On a more serious note, I think I'm going to pick some of these up at Staples...

Edited by lahlahlaw

@arts_nibs

Also available at Office Depot. Love mine. Have an A5 wirebound and a couple of A4 casebound. Need to get another A5 soon. The one I have is nearly full.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I've seen these great notebooks in OfficeMax and WalMart. Now I only have to buy a nice leather cover... :)

I agree. The Black and Reds are great. After searching locally for some decent notebooks to use with my fountain pens and not having any luck I remembered reading somewhere that the Black and Reds are pretty good... so I had a local office supply store order me up a couple and I really enjoy them and they perform very well.

I've used these and I like them. Most recemtly I bought a small spiral-bound for a class I was taking.

• 3 weeks later...

seems reasonable to me......

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

By the way, I recently learned the Black 'n Reds are sold by Mead, the same folks that bring us 5-Star notebooks, Trapper Keepers, and some other well-known stuff. It may be they wanted a higher quality line and felt it was better to import a proven product than try to develop their own. I think the BnR journals and notebooks originate in the UK according to fine print on the binding.

Here's a page from the Mead site:

http://www.mead.com/meadstore/mwv/subcat/Brands/Black-n'-Red-Notebooks/Black_n_Red_AAG?pageName=catPage&rootCatId=cat20013&catId=Black_n_Red_AAG&isEqual=true&parentId=Black_n_Red_AAG

• 5 weeks later...

So the brand is "Black and Red" ? have I got that correct ?

It's actually Black 'n Red, but I'm sure Google searches would return the same results if you typed in either. To be honest, I always dislike company logos, always taking out letters from things and whatnot.

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

I'm also a big fan of these notebooks, both wire-bound and book-bound. If I carry a wire-bound to a meeting, I also take along a red Lamy Safari with black ink, LOL.

I offer a divergent opinion.

I liked Red 'n' Black very much at first, as the paper is so resistant to feathering, bleed-through, and even show-through. But after a while, I noticed that it was fatiguing to write on. The cost of low absorbency is that a pen point moves over the surface with much more friction than it does on more absorbent paper, so that writing requires more physical exertion. I have a large hardbound Red 'n' Black notebook which I quit using about a third of the way through just because it was making the activity of writing physically uncomfortable for me.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary; but such is my experience with this line of products.

Edited by Miles R.