Parker Vector - A Classic?

Geordielass

I'd recommend the metal version. The plastic one gives you a choice of colors but in my experience the plastic on those isn't very durable. In mine a crack on the barrel, in the threads area, developed rather quickly (plastic barrel on metal threads is a risky combination I guess, especially of it's a cheap plastic).

My first one developed cracks in the same place. But had *daily* use for several years AND then spent a week in 20°F weather in the bottom of my husband's car (after a month left at my brother-in-law's house by accident -- and then started right up the day after my husband got home) and then survived another couple of years after THAT. So I can forgive it a little. The others? No issues so far.

Mine are all UK-made ones except for the NOS one I got last year on eBay (US-made, still in the original blister pack) and one of the re-issued French-made ones from a couple of months ago.

Would I use one to write the Great American Novel? No, because they're skinny pens. But mine are little workhorses otherwise.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Geordielass

• Ricky2011

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ The Parker Vector F nib I use has been a reliable writer.

It's my only “found pen”, in the sense that it was neither purchased nor received as a gift.

After a morning class ended, I was rearranging chairs and desks in preparation for an afternoon class.

A pen was on the floor. I showed it to the classes for two weeks, without any student claiming it.

It now is a welcome presence on my writing desk.

What's especially appreciated is the ease of flushing.

Tom K.

Discovering this topic rather late, but I found it by looking for Parker Vector Pen reviews. Why was I looking for the review?

Because JetPens.com is carrying them!

I'm not sure what Geordielass meant by "flighter" but perhaps it was the stainless steel/all metal construction version of the pen? It costs a little more than half again the price of the plastic-barrelled Vector, but I think I will be getting the stainless steel one first. I need an EDC pen that can take being thrust into my cargo pocket, clipped to my pocket Leuchtturm (or not clipped), and generally knocked around a bit.

Of course, at the price these pens are going for, I might end up buying a plastic-barrelled Vector to keep the stainless model company.

As Winnie the Pooh said, "It's much friendlier with two ..."

Yes, the all stainless steel Parker models are generally referred to as "flighter". Not even all metal pens, but specifically only all stainless steel models! (see here https://www.google.com/search?q=parker+flighter&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQx-bc-JvcAhVNhaYKHXxiAw8Q_AUICigB&biw=1467&bih=699 )

Wow didn't know that apparently new Vectors are coming out.. The colours are very tempting, but I hate metal grip sections... The 88 Place Vendome is much more to my taste, unfortunately Parker axed that one...

Better a metal section than the "rubberized" ones on the (gone and un-lamented) Parker Reflex. I had two of those (long since donated to a "Pick a Prize raffle") and after a while the rubber disintegrated. They were my first FPs since I was a kid. The second Reflex got replaced with that first Vector, and I've never looked back.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A reliable workhorse without a doubt especially the stainless steel version.

Mine is over a decade old and I regularly use it for ink testing duties. Fitted with a M nib.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Huh! Went to W H Smiths, thinking if they had Vectors cheap, I might just purchase one to replace the cracked body (its, not mine!) None were reduced, and they were all £14.99 - for a Vector!

Smiths are famous for ironic pricing of pens. The idea is you buy something and keep the receipt for framing as a conceptual piece of art.

Our local Smiths is about 100m from Wilko where plastic Vectors can be obtained for about half the price. I think maybe the two receipts should be framed together?

IIRC the restaurant/cafe at the Saatchi gallery in London operates on the same principle with the whole restaurant actually being an installation.

Edited by GeneralSynopsis

--“Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
Giordano Bruno

Smiths are famous for ironic pricing of pens. The idea is you buy something and keep the receipt for framing as a conceptual piece of art.

+1

I have not bought from them in years. Their stores are dated/shambles and the staff quality is debatable.

It is amazing they have survived this long. :wallbash:

They have recently bought Cult Pens (probably the best stationery store in UK) but, fortunately, they have not meddled with the pricing/service AFAIK.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

IIRC the restaurant/cafe at the Saatchi gallery in London operates on the same principle with the whole restaurant actually being an installation.

:lticaptd:

A couple of days ago I was the the Frick Museum in Pittsburgh, and then was walking around the grounds a bit. I asked a guy working there how much it would cost to get something from the café (their website didn't list drinks, but a cup of soup was $8-11 US :yikes: -- and the guy told m: "Too much!" I walked back to where my car was parked (on the street, a couple of blocks away but ALSO in the shade) and drank a bottle of Gatorade for free.... And I figured, I went to see the exhibit twice in as many days, and they got thirty bucks out of me already, willingly....

Better a metal section than the "rubberized" ones on the (gone and un-lamented) Parker Reflex. I had two of those (long since donated to a "Pick a Prize raffle") and after a while the rubber disintegrated. They were my first FPs since I was a kid. The second Reflex got replaced with that first Vector, and I've never looked back.

I agree, rubber/ized sections are even worse.... I like resin best. In a pinch I'd take metal too.

Nothing beats a metal section for longevity provided it works for you.

Engineer :

• 2 months later...

Hi

Anyone know what desgins were produced at Newhaven (UK era)? Have seen links to geometric & looney toons...

esp fp. rather than RB or BP.

best wishes

Rick

Rick

Member of the Writing Equipment Society.

not sure if the comment about 'geometric' might apply to the colourful slightly deco looking design below? - in fact of these four this is the only f.p. - the others being roller ball - though rollers can be converted to f.ps., and you'd not be any the wiser. Mitto has explained that the plastic sticker on the cap top is removed - then undoing the small screw releases clip of existing inner cap of the r.b. which is then replaced with ditto of f.p. etc. These four pens are all Made in U.K. (Newhaven).

The date code of II L on the red/blue/yellow/green f.p. looks to be for 1993.

Obviously a model used often for corporate ads., as with the KLM example and what might well be a promo job for the British Scouting movement, though the fleur-de-lis seems to have been appropriated by many causes other than Scouts and the French nobility.

The Vector is reliable though banal and nibs are so often a medium nail, but they are v.g. value for money and better than the P15 IMHO - but they score when it comes to collectability if only for their varied livery.

The issue of the sharp barrel opening rim, when writing, has been mentioned earlier, and this can be resolved by careful sanding of the barrel mouth when the barrel is plastic, though have to say I've not tried this being a non writer, but with flighter pens it's probably something that can't be done, so writing is permanently uncomfortable.

It looks like standard sections and nibs are interchangeable with Parker's calligraphy parts.

post-125342-0-03028200-1538831270_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulS

The Vector was/is a popular branding promo pen. I have come across all sorts over the years.

My preference is still for the stainless steel version, although some livery has been quite enticing. :)

Engineer :

How do you rate the feed's ink flow on your Vectors?

Have had Vector full family (FP, RB, pencil) from when they came out mid 80s... I find the FPs' feeds very dry.

Most of mine are Ms possibly 1 F in the lot... have never been able to get the nibs out of the section to try gouge the feed wetter :) They're all fed exclusively Quink via either cartridge or converter; didn't bother to try Vectors after I discovered Penman.

They're still around today, haven't gotten to try them out with a wetter ink.

not sure if the comment about 'geometric' might apply to the colourful slightly deco looking design below? - in fact of these four this is the only f.p. - the others being roller ball - though rollers can be converted to f.ps., and you'd not be any the wiser. Mitto has explained that the plastic sticker on the cap top is removed - then undoing the small screw releases clip of existing inner cap of the r.b. which is then replaced with ditto of f.p. etc. These four pens are all Made in U.K. (Newhaven).

The date code of II L on the red/blue/yellow/green f.p. looks to be for 1993.

Obviously a model used often for corporate ads., as with the KLM example and what might well be a promo job for the British Scouting movement, though the fleur-de-lis seems to have been appropriated by many causes other than Scouts and the French nobility.

The Vector is reliable though banal and nibs are so often a medium nail, but they are v.g. value for money and better than the P15 IMHO - but they score when it comes to collectability if only for their varied livery.

The issue of the sharp barrel opening rim, when writing, has been mentioned earlier, and this can be resolved by careful sanding of the barrel mouth when the barrel is plastic, though have to say I've not tried this being a non writer, but with flighter pens it's probably something that can't be done, so writing is permanently uncomfortable.

It looks like standard sections and nibs are interchangeable with Parker's calligraphy parts.

Why would you laugh at me? :)

Khan M. Ilyas

How do you rate the feed's ink flow on your Vectors?

Have had Vector full family (FP, RB, pencil) from when they came out mid 80s... I find the FPs' feeds very dry.

Most of mine are Ms possibly 1 F in the lot... have never been able to get the nibs out of the section to try gouge the feed wetter :) They're all fed exclusively Quink via either cartridge or converter; didn't bother to try Vectors after I discovered Penman.

They're still around today, haven't gotten to try them out with a wetter ink.

There is a larger horizental channel at the base of the feed where it sits on the section. Just insert anything that fits and push it forward carefully with a little force but with firm grip (else you would break or deform the feed) . And the nib and feed would come out. Make sure there is no dried or clogged ink in the section that may keep the feed firmly held in place. Soaking and use of dry heat is recommended before you use this method to take out the nib and feed.

Khan M. Ilyas

quite the opposite I'd suggest Khan - my post, as usual I suspect, was a tad too 'straight laced' - my brain can't cope with explanatory info. plus humour at the same time :( - and I certainly wasn't laughing at you.

Obviously we haven't interested Ricky enough for him to respond.

However …………. whilst I have your attention...………. I did post some words and a picture in the Parker Victory thread, some week or so back - one of the pens was a deep burgundy A/F Mk. IV, I think. What's your opinion on the colour - I couldn't see any mention of burgundy as a colour for the Victory - in the book - might it be rare ish?

Many thanks Again

I got interesested searching another second hand site.. UK people may know which one... looking for victories when I saw some lovely looking vectors which turned out to be loony tunes/toons.

did some research on vectors in general to find that they were/ are produced in USA, UK, FRA & IND (LUX) and in FP, RB, BP & PENCIL, loved the designs and thought the uk newhaven ones would compliment my other earlier Newhaven's which I have previously mentioned. so I would end up with Newhavens from 1940-46 - 1984-2010..

Spend yesterday using Tonys site and the net to find which vectors were a. produced in UK and b.were made in FP format.!!!

I very much apricate other members input as research is hard.. lack of catalogues fore example.

thanks

Rick

Member of the Writing Equipment Society.