Montblanc Permanent Blue

Bigeddie

Does anybody else have problems with this ink (1) drying out in their pens overnight making it hard to start and (2) drying (??) into a 'watery' appearance when left horizontal for a few hours? I want to love this ink, but it isn't working in my pen. Maybe it is just me....

I have had this ink dry out during the same day, if the pen had a fine or extra fine nib. It didn't totally dry out in my Parker 51 1.2 mm stub, or my medium or broad Carene. Restarting the fine or extra fine pens required refilling the pen from the Permanent Blue bottle.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cybaea

• Tonux

• Axial

• omarcenaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

Montblanc seem to be shaking up their line a bit, Midnight Blue is no longer listed as being a permanent ink and two new permanent inks are being introduced.

The packaging is the same format as the existing inks with new graphics, All white with blue and black text. The bottle is the same shoe as we are used to with the existing line up (with the nice two part filling arrangement).

IMAGE_1.jpg by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Included below are samples of the new ink, and some from Royal Blue for comparison. My scanner is now older than some forum members, that is to say rather tired. I have taken photos in direct sunlight for comparison. Both inks were in Lamy Safari pens with medium nibs.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3671/10116489245_b6dc2e255b_z.jpg

Analysis:
The flow of the new ink was surprisingly dry (much lighter flow than that of the new black ink), I was expecting more punch. The colour is a pleasant true blue (not so purple as the Royal Blue) with some nice shading. In terms of performance, there was no feathering, bleed or show through on the Rhodia. On the copy paper there was quite a lot of showthrough and bleed, much more so than Royal Blue; but the colour did not seem to soak in to the paper and spread as much, whereas Royal Blue lost a lot of it's density.
Water resistance:
These new permanent inks from MB are the first that I have seen with an ISO certification for permanence, here I am only testing water resistance when dry. The inks proved to be very water resistant, I would be hard pushed to detect the difference between inks before and after soaking. Certainly this ink along with the new Permanent Black are the most water resistant inks out there, unlike the pigment inks nothing floats off of them.

Conclusion:

I like it, it's quite a nice colour and performs well on Rhodia paper, on cheap pulp the performance would suit one sided use, where the appearance is good but the bleed and show through are worse than non-permanent equivalents. The biggest downside is the price, these new inks are being sold from MB at £19 a bottle compared to £11 for the standard inks. For my uses (typically on FP friendly papers) I would stick to Royal Blue.

thanks for the review...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 1 month later...

I've a doubt. How to wash a fountain pen filled with this ink (and continuing to use it after whashing). If I add some water to the ink, the permanent property is losted. Well, can I dry the pen with a dryer (hair dryer, for example, with care)? Or there is some special product to do that?

Thank you very much.

Edited by Tonux

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue Tonux; the ink definitely leaves a stain in the pen. I have a lamy vista so I can certainly see this. It seems I may be permanently stuck with permanent blue in this pen (cough). Luckily I was planning on sticking with one color per pen anyway haha.

Also I did have it dry a bit and I had to restart it a bit.

I may stick with non permanent colors going on; I don't think the liquid resistance is needed for my normal usage.

Edited by almondmilk

• 1 month later...

On the MB's website it says that Permanent Blue (bottle), Permanent Black (bottle), and Permanent Black cartridges are ISO 14145-2 certified, but Permanent Blue cartridges DO NOT have the ISO 14145-2 descriptor. Must be an oversight on MB's part? If Permanent Blue (bottle) is ISO 14145-2 the cartridges must be too, correct?

I've had no problems with it in a Pelikan 205, even when I didn't use it for a day or so. Stored 'standing up' in one of my pen mugs, it was fine - even right near the end of the fill. I won't be using it a lot but it really is a nice colour.

I've just filled my Platinum #3776 Chartres Blue with it and the two colours complement each other perfectly. Think I'll be dedicating this pen to it altogether.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 4 months later...

Pleased to report that I have had no problems with this ink.

In my pens it writes slightly drier than Mystery Black and about as wet as Midnight Blue (IG). It dries fast enough for a left-hander (me) and doesn't really qualify for the 'boring blue' category, well not yet anyway, I can never make my mind up about blue inks...

After leaving the ink in a capped fine nibbed pen for a week, I had no ink separation, drying out or hard starting. There is no sign of particulates, even with a jewelers loupe.

Neither is there evidence of staining, in Montblanc pens at least (have not tried anything else yet), and cleaning is no more troublesome than Midnight Blue (IG).

Overall, I like this ink, it is a practical option, both for those who require ISO certification in their work and for others who just like to write outdoors, in cafés, bars etc. and prefer the extra long-term security of a permanent ink.

• 8 months later...

I have a box of seven cartridges to give away, if my postage is paid. Not a fan of MBPB.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 11 months later...

Mont Blanc Permanent Blue is a great ink.

I have wedded this ink to my Sailor Blueberry pen in M nib.

Wonderful match!

• 1 year later...

This ink has displaced all of my other blue inks. Good color, handling and, of course, permanent.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

For me, only BSB can compete with it (blue-wise ink speaking).

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Does this have that certain something when using it that I believe Permanent Black has?

Which certain something?

Which certain something?

I don't quite know :blush:

When I use it in a pen I immediately know what's in it and I get a lovely feeling :wub: from seeing and feeling its black black lines appear. Can't describe it. The only ink that's given me a similar feeling was Sailor's Carbon Black.

OH, I see! Well, I am a little dumb for those feelings. But I would say that to some extent, it does. As I already mentioned, it was my preferred blue until I discovered BSB. Even so, I'd say MB permanent blue is better behaved in general. A lot more.

• 2 months later...

Here is an updated Review. Montblanc Permanent Blue is fantastic. I just got my bottle last week. It's the New 2019 Ink Line up labeling. So it still comes in the white permanent ink box but the bottle label is no longer white but solid blue with Permanent Blue in white letters.

Maybe the formula has changed from when the initial review was done. I found No bleed through, no issues with drying out or hard starting in the 1.1mm nib. I will try soon on a Fine Nib and Medium Nib and see if that makes a difference.

I enjoy permanent inks and currently have: De Atramentis Document Red, Noodler's X-Feather, Eel Black, Polar Purple, Rome Burning, Luxury Blue, and Legal Blue.

Unlike my other inks MB Permanent Blue does not Bleed through cheap copy paper and has very very little feathering. I am using it in my Kaweco Student blue demonstrator with 1.1mm nib. Here are some picture taken today 7/18/2019 at 10:49am on office copy paper testing Bleed through.

post-141133-0-60531500-1563469100_thumb.jpg

Here is the flip side NO Bleed Through

post-141133-0-79032700-1563469195_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for a permanent/archival ink, a nice blue color with shading, quick drying, smooth flowing ink with no feathering that does not bleed through plain paper then try MB Permanent Blue out. I am about to buy some Permanent Black now as well.

Edited by Ozzy1

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

I tested the waterproof qualities of Montblanc Permanent Blue just now. So both inks had hours of drying time.

I submerged my sample paper pictured above in hot water for 5 minutes. I drained water and poured soap on the paper and let sit for 2 minutes and then rinsed with water.

I then squirted hand sanitizer on the samples and let sit for 2 minutespost-141133-0-76106700-1563482652_thumb.jpg

I rinsed with water. The Montblanc Permanent Blue did not move or fade. You can see how transparent/thin the paper is when wet as you can see the pattern of the granite through it.post-141133-0-20820600-1563482791_thumb.jpg

When the paper is totally dry I will post the back side of the paper to confirm that there is no bleed through.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

The Irish Green performs surprisingly well, too.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde