New Montblanc Permanent Inks 2013

ThierryfromFrance

They are so dry that it even clogged both my heritage and 149.

I got them back from repair, but of course mb did not mention a word about the ink I have used.

Whaaaaaat? I'm sorry that happened :(

I'm getting mixed reviews, but I'm going to buy the cartridge version first to give it a try without losing $30 on the bottle. Why would they say "only use our inks!" then make inks that poorly work with their pens....

Anywhoodles, maybe it would be worth diluting the Permanent inks with the non-permanent version? Permanent Blue with Royal Blue?

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Mister Mont Blanc

• arandur

• cybaea

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you saying the current Midnight Blue does not have Iron Gall? I am looking for a thinner line with a drier ink and read a lot about MB Midnight Blue but it's not specified on the MB website that it's different from the other inks :/

Midnight Blue has been reformulated. The old formula was iron gall-based. The current Midnight Blue is not.

I have a bottle of the new Midnight Blue. It's a nice ink, wet, has a beautiful color and gives some nice shading, but it contains no iron gall and has no water resistance whatsoever. It's a regular ink.

Edited by Vlad Soare

Midnight Blue has been reformulated. The old formula was iron gall-based. The current Midnight Blue is not.

I have a bottle of the new Midnight Blue. It's a nice ink, wet, has a beautiful color and gives some nice shading, but it contains no iron gall and has no water resistance whatsoever. It's a regular ink.

Thank you very much. I believe I found a bottle of the old IG ink on the Bay as I typed in the item number and got one result. They didn't really change the design of the front of the box so it's hard to tell the difference. I would prefer the new Permanent Blue though as it has a brighter color to it and looks more like their Pacific Blue.

Their website isn't letting me checkout though... Maybe a sign I shouldn't buy it..? haha

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

To establish with certainty which version it is, look at the identification number on the box, next to the barcode, or ask the seller to give it to you if it's not visible in the pictures.

The old iron gall version is item no. 105194. The new, regular one is 109204.

Edited by Vlad Soare

To establish with certainty which version it is, look at the identification number on the box, next to the barcode, or ask the seller to give it to you if it's not visible in the pictures.

The old iron gall version is item no. 105194. The new, regular one is 109204.

Yes thank you! I had gotten it from a picture someone here took while comparing the IG and new version. Now I have it here for reference! The seller would have to have the old box I suppose in order to get that number. That will be what I buy if I can't get the permanent blue from MB.

when i purchased my permanent blue at the madison store i did get warn that i should clean out my pen more often than usual. I find the permeant blue a little dry with my EF 149. On the other hand the permanent grey is doing well with the same pen. I get some decent shading with it.

when i purchased my permanent blue at the madison store i did get warn that i should clean out my pen more often than usual. I find the permeant blue a little dry with my EF 149. On the other hand the permanent grey is doing well with the same pen. I get some decent shading with it.

Yes! Another down for the count... I'm really hoping it's dry as my 149 EF is almost as thick as my 145 M which I suppose could be attributed to the larger nib. I just got a bottle ordered yesterday although no confirmation e-mail for some reason, I'm anxiously awaiting!

I had better water resistance results. Although less water resistant than the IG version, the new Midnight Blue does have some water resistance. Much better than most other regular inks like MB Royal Blue for example that wash completely away soon as water touches it. With the new non IG MB, it washes out but remains legible.

Edited by max dog

Yes! Another down for the count... I'm really hoping it's dry as my 149 EF is almost as thick as my 145 M which I suppose could be attributed to the larger nib. I just got a bottle ordered yesterday although no confirmation e-mail for some reason, I'm anxiously awaiting!

Let me know how it turns out

Edited by kaisede

i have mb inkbottle from 1989, i checked for STIB and such, its wel behaved, I do wonder which ink are better, the old formula or the new formula.

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I will report back. It will be here Monday!

I had better water resistance results. Although less water resistant than the IG version, the new Midnight Blue does have some water resistance. Much better than most other regular inks like MB Royal Blue for example that wash completely away soon as water touches it. With the new non IG MB, it washes out but remains legible.

Indeed, it still remains legible. By comparison, Mystery Black washes out completely.

I may have exaggerated when I said it has no water resistance whatsoever. It does seem to have a little bit of resistance.

I was just trying to say that it makes no claim regarding permanence and behaves like a regular ink (slight differences between regular inks themselves notwithstanding). :)

Edited by Vlad Soare

so the new mystery black formula is less resistant to water?

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I've been using it since Monday now. I really like the color of the ink, it is a bit dark but I presume not as dark as Midnight Blue. I've always loved Pacific Blue ink for their rollerballs and ballpoint ink refills so I compare everything to that. The permanent blue ink hasn't really caused any issues, the only minor one is hard starting on certain letters depending on the direction the nib is going. However, it is unfortunately not "dry" with my pens :( It is just as wet and thick as Mystery Black. Maybe I'll try leaving the cap off to let some water evaporate! :wacko:

I've been using it since Monday now. I really like the color of the ink, it is a bit dark but I presume not as dark as Midnight Blue. I've always loved Pacific Blue ink for their rollerballs and ballpoint ink refills so I compare everything to that. The permanent blue ink hasn't really caused any issues, the only minor one is hard starting on certain letters depending on the direction the nib is going. However, it is unfortunately not "dry" with my pens :( It is just as wet and thick as Mystery Black. Maybe I'll try leaving the cap off to let some water evaporate! :wacko:

Thanks for letting me know. Did you use it with Rohdia paper? On normal paper my EF with permeant blue ink is still pretty wet.

Thanks for letting me know. Did you use it with Rohdia paper? On normal paper my EF with permeant blue ink is still pretty wet.

Oh yes all Rhodia! I tried Clairefontaine after reading about it here but I don't like it as much :/ Well I guess my EF isn't the only one then, I was debating doing a nib exchange but it sounds like that's just how they are!

Oh yes all Rhodia! I tried Clairefontaine after reading about it here but I don't like it as much :/ Well I guess my EF isn't the only one then, I was debating doing a nib exchange but it sounds like that's just how they are!

EF is different more rare. The store i picked up my pen they only had two. Most people goes for B or F, which i have a few. MB nibs does tend to be on the wider side of things, I just inked my Visconti M and it writes similar to my MB EF.

EF is different more rare. The store i picked up my pen they only had two. Most people goes for B or F, which i have a few. MB nibs does tend to be on the wider side of things, I just inked my Visconti M and it writes similar to my MB EF.

I do love it though. The way it is tipped, I can get a thinner or a thicker line depending on how I angle it.