New Montblanc Permanent Inks 2013

ThierryfromFrance

Hello everyone, I had announced them almost two years in advance, but they finally arrived : two new permanent inks, blue and black, in addition to the older blue-back one.

The design is extremely minimalist, with white boxes and labels (I love that), but the shape and capacity of the bottle remain unchanged. They will also come in cartridges.

The good news is that they REALLY are permanent, as you can see in my small "washing" test ; they are almost more readable when wet! It will be interesting to see how the black ink behave on bad quality paper... The aspect of the inks seems a bit strange, at first, as it reminded me some acrylic material for artists (what it will become with a constant use in piston filler fountain pens, that we will see later) but when on paper, it looks rather smart ; the blue ink is like Herbin's blue-black, while the black one is a very very deep grey, different from the regular black as it isn't shiny.

The bad news : price are 50 % higher than regular MB inks, but it can be compared with good quality Japanese permanent inks, such as Sailor's.
Thierry

post-5946-0-54340100-1380906659_thumb.jpg

post-5946-0-04866600-1380906668_thumb.jpg

post-5946-0-84933100-1380906679_thumb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Mister Mont Blanc

• arandur

• cybaea

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its about time!!!

So where can one purchase this ink other than boutiques?

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hi,

I wonder what kind of ink it is or how they make it permanent. It's very interesting though!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Very cool! I used the last of my MB Midnight Blue today and need a replacement ink to sign checks and legal docs.

Edited by Soulmaker1

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

This is great news! Any ideas on issues with long term use in pens? Do these need to be managed like the Blue-Black inks, or are they a bit safer for long time use?

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Thanks for sharing this new ink. Any one is kind to help me buy a few bottles? :)

Writing give me the opportunity to reflect and be mindful about the present moment.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Hi

If its Permanent how do you wash it out of a pen if its left to dry out. Does the normal Ammonia/Water mix still work or is there something else needed.

Paul

Put some bleach on it. If it fades, then they are still Iron Gall, if they don't, then they have probably adopted cellulose-reactive chemistry (a la Noodler's Bulletproof or Private Reserve Invincible).

And it's interesting that they have had these inks certified to ISO 14145-2 for Document inks. That partly explains the higher price. The only other FP ink I know of that was certified to this standard was De Atramentis Document ink, however, their website no longer claims that standard. The ink hasn't gotten any cheaper though...

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Very interesting.

Thank you for your time to share it with us.

I think I have to follow this topic how it works out with the maintenance of the pens.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

From ISO 14145-2:

Roller ball pens and refills - Part 2: Documentary use (DOC) (ISO 14145-2:1998)

4 Requirements

4.1 General requirements
See the general requirements given in ISO 14145-1:1998 (4.1 to 4.3.4, 4.3.7 and 4.3.8).
4.2 Erasure resistance
The surface of the testing paper shall show clear evidence of damage before the line is rendered invisible when
tested as specified in 6.2.1.

4.3 Ethanol resistance

The line shall remain visible when tested as specified in 6.2.2.
4.4 Hydrochloric acid resistance
The line shall remain visible when tested as specified in 6.2.3.

4.5 Ammonium hydroxide resistance
The line shall remain visible when tested as specified in 6.2.4.
4.6 Bleaching resistance
The line shall remain visible when tested as specified in 6.2.5.
4.7 Water resistance
The line shall remain visible when tested as specified in 6.2.6.
4.8 Light resistance

The line shall remain visible when tested as specified in 6.2.7.
5 Test equipment, accessories and solutions
5.1 Test equipment and accessories
See ISO 14145-1.
5.2 Test solutions
5.2.1 Ethanol solution, 50 % aqueous solution (volume fraction).
5.2.2 Hydrochloric acid solution, 10 % aqueous solution (mass fraction).
5.2.3 Ammonium hydroxide solution, 10 % aqueous solution (mass fraction).
5.2.4 Bleaching solution, 3 % freshly made aqueous solution of chloramin T1) (mass fraction).

At http://www.nen.nl/pdfpreview/preview_26820.pdf you can read more about ISO 14145-2.

Is there anything in the instructions about pen maintenance, e.g. 'flush regularly' or similar?

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Put some bleach on it. If it fades, then they are still Iron Gall, if they don't, then they have probably adopted cellulose-reactive chemistry (a la Noodler's Bulletproof or Private Reserve Invincible).

And it's interesting that they have had these inks certified to ISO 14145-2 for Document inks. That partly explains the higher price. The only other FP ink I know of that was certified to this standard was De Atramentis Document ink, however, their website no longer claims that standard. The ink hasn't gotten any cheaper though...

Isn't ISO 14145-2 a self-certification? You rub some ethanol on your writing and slap a ISO label on your box? (I am exaggerating, of course, and would not suggest that any of the manufacturers follow anything but the strictest test procedures. But the cost sould not be great.)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!