A Low Maintenance Water-Resistant Violet?

BookCat

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. Now I'm completely confused!

The suggested ink which I like the look of most is Diamine Violet, though there seems to be some disagreement as to whether this is water-resistant. This is also an ink which I can easily source.

Some of the suggestions are too blueish for my taste; I would like a more pinky violet.

Pelikan violet also looks nice, but I seem to remember reading someone mention that it isn't water-resistant.

Scabiosa is one of the too blue and heavy (on my monitor) inks, and I don't think I dare touch an iron gall or a heavily pigmented ink like Noodler's.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these ink for someone more scrupulous about caring for their pens.

The Jane Austen ink is a nice colour, but there was no indication of its water-resistance.

Has anyone done water-resistance tests for the Diamine Violet?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• BookCat

• nomadhacker

• WirsPlm

Just to say that iron galls do in fact produce sediments while Noodler's Bulletproof Black does not produce sediments. I've spent a year trying to get Noodler's Bulletproof Black to complete dry out in a dish covered with cheese cloth and it just will not dry out. But it does leave a condensed sample of Noodler's Bulletproof Black which I then added water to and used.

Maybe Noodler's La Reine Mauve??

Unfortunately LRM is not a low maintenance ink. In my opinion Scabiosa would be a better choice.

Edited by carlos.q

The review of Jane Austin Violet I saw showed very little water resistance.

Dan

I'd say it has a moderate level of water resistance. Sort of a traditional 50s level. It's not Kung Te Cheng. But then, you're not going to find something that level of indestructible that's also low maintenance.

I've tried it recently. Doesn't hold up to the soaking that I give a test page to determine if I can consider it water resistant, it runs all over and becomes illegible.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Also De Atramentis Aubergine. Has water resistance. Not very high maintenance. Not sure if it's in the color band you want. Probably too blue for you but take a look.

Some of the confusion is that the more water resistant some ink is, usually the higher maintenance it is. So there's a bit of balance to be reached in your two requirements. Something completely water proof would be a higher maintenance ink, by the standard you've listed of no iron galls and no pigment etc. Also people have varying criteria on when to call an ink water resistant. A lighter violet color such as you're wanting--without being able to bring iron gall or Noodler's type properties to the game--is only going to be able to have probably moderate water resistance.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

Unfortunately LRM is not a low maintenance ink. In my opinion Scabiosa would be a better choice.

Ditto.

LRM is too finicky for me.

KTC is amazing if you are willing to commit to good pen hygiene.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Some of the confusion is that the more water resistant some ink is, usually the higher maintenance it is. So there's a bit of balance to be reached in your two requirements. Something completely water proof would be a higher maintenance ink, by the standard you've listed of no iron galls and no pigment etc.

There's no perfect ink; if you want more waterproof qualities, you're going to have to sacrifice ease of care. After all, an ink that's resilient on paper is also going to be resilient in your pen, if you don't take care of it!

Okay, a few tests later. I take back my OS-JAV suggestion unless you add Ghost Blue which improves the water resistance of any ink I've tried. Also, I think the JAV that was water resistant had a splash of something else in it, but I'm not sure what because the prior ink was R&K Soferino which is hot pink. Also, the recent test has phenol because I add it to all my new bottles of ink, though I've been told it does not change the water resistance or color.

Anyway, here is the result:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_635.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_635b.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_635c.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Amberleah --- Thanks for clarifying!

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I'm still in love with laundry bluing, and I happened to mix some purple up with it the other day.

Right at the bottom of this:

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n519/191970/FPN/1310_prussianblue-01.jpg

I know for a fact that prussian blue could safely be mixed with a warm magenta like Noodler's Shah's Rose, but I haven't tried it directly (since this is a cool blue, it would best be mixed with other cool colors).

It settles quickly, but it's a pretty fun ink to have in a flex pen. The magenta halo didn't scan, but you could see it IRL. I haven't tried a water test on it, but I imagine the magenta would wash away and leave the blue in the paper.

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory - Chinese proverb

Dioxazine Letter Tracker

• 2 months later...

Sorry to raise this topic again but I'm still searching for a lilacky purple. When I mention that I wish it to be water resistant and low maintenance, I'm thinking along the lines of Namiki Blue, but in violet. I find NB to be kind to my pens despite my careless attitude to them and to be reasonably water-resistant. But blue, however nice, can get a little boring and I want to use something different, like lilac.

With this extra information, has anyone any other suggestions please? :sm_cat:

Yikes at the lack of water resistance.

I know one of our office folks loves Noodler's Pasternak in her highlighter. Never tried it in a pen though.

Noodler's Mata Hari's Cordial isn't bad, I just wouldn't call it purple. To me, it's almost rose color.

Have a sample of Noodler's Socrates but haven't tried it yet.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

what you are asking for is extremely contradictory

you want a violet ink, which usually means has low water resistance and is high maintenance due to the dye..

you want it to be low maintenance, that would mean it is not water resistant..

you physically cannot have what you are asking..

if you want violet that is water resistant it is going to be high maintenance..

just go for waterman violet which is average maintenance, although it has no water resistance, or if you want water proof very high maintenance and could probably stain your pen go for kung the chung

Sorry to raise this topic again but I'm still searching for a lilacky purple. When I mention that I wish it to be water resistant and low maintenance, I'm thinking along the lines of Namiki Blue, but in violet. I find NB to be kind to my pens despite my careless attitude to them and to be reasonably water-resistant. But blue, however nice, can get a little boring and I want to use something different, like lilac.

With this extra information, has anyone any other suggestions please? :sm_cat:

Did you look at the reviews for Organics Studio Potassium?

I think it has some water resistance because I can still read the writing even after I've washed it.

post-97661-0-57615400-1379868415.jpeg

Have you tried getting some of Noodler's bulletproof purples and diluting them? I know, I know, LRM is a hard ink to work with, but I've had really good luck heavily diluting two other Noodler's supersaturated bulletproof inks (HoD and KTC), which stay basically the same color and keep the water resistance (no light resistance tests yet :) ) but are much easier to work with after adding water. I really do mean heavily diluted, about 1 part ink to 3-4 parts water or even a lower ratio (I once emptied a sample vial of KTC, filled the emptied sample vial halfway with water, shook it up and filled a pen, writes like a dream and water won't budge it!). I think a 1 oz bottle of La Reine Mauve could easily turn into a 3 oz bottle of a reasonally easy-going water resistant purple, but I haven't opened up my sample of LRM yet.

Run over to Pendemonium real quick. Noodler's Violet Vote, a bulletproof purple ink, had a recent supplier change to the main dye color, and they have a batch that's more of a periwinkle color.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

Run over to Pendemonium real quick. Noodler's Violet Vote, a bulletproof purple ink, had a recent supplier change to the main dye color, and they have a batch that's more of a periwinkle color.

Hm, so now it looks more like KTC?

Oh, and BTW, that's NomadHacker's review above. :)

Hm, so now it looks more like KTC?

Softer blue than KTC. It's a slightly violet, slightly gray, light blue. So fits the Crayola definition of periwinkle even a little bit better than Noodler's own Periwinkle, and from what I've heard of Noodler's Periwinkle, better flow. I've got a sample in an exchange. (youblue9 was the one who alerted me to the dye fluke)