A Low Maintenance Water-Resistant Violet?

BookCat

I would like to be more adventurous in the ink colour which I use. Violet in a lilac tone, is my favourite colour and I'd love to find a water-resistant ink in that colour.

However, it must be low maintenance. I'm lazy and don't clean my fps regularly and sometimes leave pens inked up for a couple of weeks because I don't know which I'll want to use next. So no iron-gall or pigmented inks please, as my pens don't get the attention such inks require.

Ink easily found in the UK, or on UK websites would make obtaining the inks less expensive.

The reason that I would like the ink to be water-resistant is that I use fountain pens for writing in my journal, and I'm clumsy, so very likely to spill something on what I've written. Still being able to read the writing after a wetting is important.

Thanks so much for any help. :)

Edited by BookCat

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• BookCat

• nomadhacker

• WirsPlm

I did some quick research about this ink, unfortunately it's an iron-gall ink.

Any other suggestions or link to reviews of suitable inks would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by BookCat

Forum member Hari recently made a comment in a previous thread about a violet or purple ink made in India that is very water resistant. I can't remember which it is, but you could send him a PM and find out. The good thing about ink in India is they are cinexpensive by western standards, enough to offset the postage to some degree. Hari might be able to name a dealer who would be willing to ship out of country.

Nooder's makes a few waterproof violets, the mot trouble free is Violet Vote, formerly Iraqi Indigo. It behaves well, hasn't offered any maintenance problems, but leans more to blue than pink. Check out the reviews in the ink review forum. It is an exclusive ink from Pendemonium, so shipping cost might be a factor again.

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I had a similar query recently.

De Atramentis Aubergine and Noodler's Violet Vote seem to have very good water resistant properties.

Forum member Hari recently made a comment in a previous thread about a violet or purple ink made in India that is very water resistant.

Hari mentioned Camlin violet.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/252592-waterproof-purple-ink/?do=findComment&comment=2776181

I would suggest you give Pelikan Violet a try.

It's easy to use and I found it to be a very likable color.

I bought 30ml on a lark just to use once, but ended up using it weeks on end.

I would suggest you give Pelikan Violet a try.

It's easy to use and I found it to be a very likable color.

I bought 30ml on a lark just to use once, but ended up using it weeks on end.

Not even remotely water resistant, though, as I recall, which was something the OP wanted.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Try looking in the ink reviews for some of the Diamine inks -- I don't know which (if any) are water resistant, but they make a broad range of colors. And since they're a UK company, they should be relatively easy for you to get.

The only purple I've tried so far of theirs is Damson, which is dusky purple. Just tested my writing sample in the Rhodia No. 10 pad that lives in my purse: it's not hugely water resistant, but was still somewhat legible when I swiped it with a bit of saliva on my fingertips.

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Private Reserve Tanzanite is supposedly "surprisingly water resistant". I have not tried it myself, but have read that about it. It does seem to be a bit of a "marmite" ink though, with some loving it and some hating it...

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.
William Makepeace Thackeray

I don't know about water resistance and there seems to be no review in the ink reviews section...but I have just started using R&K Cassia, if it is water resistant, it may fit the bill...has anyone here tested it?

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I use Diamine Violet quite frequently and it is surprisingly water resistant. While I prefer blues, I keep using this ink because of how well it works on most papers and low maintenance characteristics. Plus, it does have a bit of a lilac tinge to it.

I have not been impressed with Violet Vote. Too pale for me, so somewhat hard to read. If you're willing to go with Noodler's, consider North African Violets. It's dark enough to be comfortable to read, but a lively, bright purple that is quite water resistant.

Since I'm a fan who's found Scabiosa to be one of the best options (subjectively speaking, of course), I'll add my two cents: if you want a more muted color, this is a great option. The iron gall component is pretty small, and I have had no problems with clogging with it. It's lower maintenance than any of Noodlers' bulletproof inks I've tried. Some problems I've had with various of the Bulletproof inks (though not all, and most don't have all of these problems) are not present with Scabiosa: it's easier to clean out of pens, it doesn't stain the plastic, it doesn't clog the feed, it starts easily and reliably, it only feathers on crappy paper that would feather with any fountain pen ink, it dries in a reasonable time—and actually dries, instead of drying into a pile of smeary goo. And the iron gall component is exactly what gives water resistance: the purple color washes away, but a clear dark grey line remains. It's not perfect for everybody, but Scabiosa is probably my main go-to ink.

I've been hesitant to respond because I actually don't know of anything that I personally would regard as a low-maintenance, water-resistant violet. I am always hesitant to recommend Noodler's to non-US buyers, and to UK buyers in particular if a Diamine ink might do the trick. If Diamine Violet is "surprisingly" water resistant, then I would look into that. I have some Diamine-made Chesterfield Sapphire cartridges that I would describe that way, so it seems possible to me.

Nevertheless, it might be the case that Noodler's North African Violet is low-maintenance enough if a pen is dedicated to it. This is a conventional ink and, IIRC, is waterproof, or essentially so. Unfortunately, it tends to throw a precipitate when mixed with other conventional Noodler's Inks, and it is a quite hard to clean out thoroughly. That is not a great combination. It disqualifies it as "low-maintenance" for my use, but if a suitable (modern, easy-to-clean) pen is devoted to it, not much attention is required. I kept it in a Pilot Cavalier on my desk for months for my wife's use with no problem.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

How about Organics Studios Jane Austen Violet?

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_525b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The review of Jane Austin Violet I saw showed very little water resistance.

Dan

Edited by DanF

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I was surprised to find that I had not done one when I had the pen inked up. I'm going to ink a different pen in the next few days and I'll post one up.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here is Scabiosa (suggested by others). It is waterproof.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_522.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_522e.jpg

Dan

Just because you asked, I got it done today.

Dan

I'd say it has a moderate level of water resistance. Sort of a traditional 50s level. It's not Kung Te Cheng. But then, you're not going to find something that level of indestructible that's also low maintenance.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

I'd say it has a moderate level of water resistance. Sort of a traditional 50s level. It's not Kung Te Cheng. But then, you're not going to find something that level of indestructible that's also low maintenance.

Nothing is as resistant as KTC.