Wahl Eversharp Factory On Roscoe Street (1800 W. Roscoe)

msvete

Hello all,

I currently live at the old Wahl/Eversharp factory building (which is now a condo building) at 1800 W. Roscoe Street in Chicago. I am working together with an active group of volunteers in researching the history of Wahl/Eversharp. Our goal is to commemorate the history of the company and the people who made-up the company. We are planning to feature photographs, artwork, and displays throughout the building and are planning centennial celebration to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the building.

We have already identified some amazing photographs (which we are getting permission to use) of the construction of the factory building, almost 100 years ago. The photographs show the building being constructed using horses and wagons. We also have a photograph, which shows the bakery next to the factory. We believe this is the bakery which provided food for the striking factory workers.

I would love to reach out to ANYONE who has a deeper understanding of the history of the company, the people and or the building and would love to connect with anyone who has a personal connection to building.

Regards,

Michael post-107196-0-41617600-1380636792.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Ted F

• msvete

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I've mentioned that's were my Father worked from about 1934-'35 until 1948. Although I was in the building a few times with my Father during the war I don't have any memory of what the building looked like. This is the first picture I've ever seen of the building. I do remember a couple of things about the inside but nothing vivid.

Contact Syd. You will find him at pensburymanor.com

He is also the president and CEO of the new W-E Pen Co.,

wahleversharp.com

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Message sent via email on this subject with powerpoint history slide shows . I've been contacted by 2 a HOA Board member for these lofts too who is working on the centennial of the building. I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• 2 years later...

Hello. Michael (msvete), my neighbor and compatriot in the effort to research the history of the Eversharp factory building at 1800 W Roscoe Street in Chicago, mentioned this site years ago, but I'm only now getting around to checking it out myself. We've made some progress in our efforts over the couple of years since he posted here. Our goal is to create exhibits in the building that showcase the history of Wahl-Eversharp, the people connected to the company/building, and the impact the factory had on the neighborhood.

I'd love to share information we've learned, and hopefully others here can help answer questions we have. The info in the various threads in this forum has been really enlightening ,and the details Ted F has posted here and in another thread was great. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures here. Once I can do that, I'll start sharing.

Barry

P.S. We got to give Syd (Wahlnut) a little tour when he was in town for the pen show. If anyone else is in the area, I'd be happy to do the same and share stories.

If you want the absolute latest and most up to date research on Eversharp history, take a look at the posts at Jon Veley's blog: http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/

That site is fantastic. I was especially interested in the part about the Eversharp snake skin green pencils. He indicates no one has seen one. I used to have a half-dozen of more of them and gave them all away to friends and relatives because they were as common as dirt. I only have one alligator and one snake skin pencil left. The snake skin is in the original box.

• 2 weeks later...

BARRY,

I enjoyed our visit to the Pencil Factory. As you may, at the time, I told Lindsey I would be pleased to lend an original pen sales display case and some pens and ephemera that represented the manufacturing that happened in the 1800 roscoe street building. Please contact me when you are approaching the centennial in 1917.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

The Wahl Factory as it looked in about 1920

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/WAHL-EVERSHARP%20FACTORY_zpsusmw9qod.jpg

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com