Nibmeister Wanted For Xf Nib Repair

Jadie

So....the other day I was in a rush and running down a flight of concrete stairs with a bunch of books and my fountain pen in hand. It turned out the cap was only half capped, because while I was turning a corner, it flew out of my hands, smashed into a step, and bounced off a neighboring wall before coming to rest on the floor.

....ouch. My poor heart...

Luckily, it was my cheapest pen (probably why I was holding it instead of resting it safely in my pen case), but the point it, the tines are horribly bent and misaligned now.

It's my Duke Uranus 308 401, a semi-hooded nib with the smoothest XF ever...and I'd like to repair it.

Problem is, where to start and who to pick? I would prefer someone with experiencing smoothing out XF nibs and a reasonable turnaround time. Does anyone have any recommendations?

(I tried searching up options before posting this thread, but wow, there are so many that I don't know where to start. I was thinking Mike Masuyama because of his needlepoint nib experience, but I understand he's currently not taking repairs while in the middle of a move.)

For reference, I've enclosed pictures of my damaged nib below:

P1050884 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

P1050885 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

P1050882 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

P1050880 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jadie

• FarmBoy

• OcalaFlGuy

• TimGirdler

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace the pen. Nib work would rival the cost of replacement.

I would choose Mottishaw if I needed the work done.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If Todd says it's not financially sensible to have a pro do it that's more than good enough for me.

On the other hand. ;)

You say it's a favorite pen.

There are several people around here with the proper nib tools that don't do nib repair for $ that might be willing to try and rehab

your nib. They need a nib block and have a pretty good idea what to do with it and some other nib tools. Perhaps they might be willing to try and fix it for you for their learning experience and postage.

Can't hurt to ask. (I guess I just have if you didn't mind.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I think there are several options:

1. Have a nib worker put it back into shape.

This won't be easy with this pen. I haven't done anything with this model of pen before, but it looks like the nib is tubular (similar to a Parker "51" nib), and that means a nib block won't work. So, this is a hand-pliers rework. It's possible that this will be highly successful, but there's always the possibility that the nib won't survive the repair. After all, trauma to the nib is what bent it...trauma causes microscopic cracks...cracks mean that tips come off, tines come off, etc.

Whenever I repair a bent nib, I give the above statement as a standard disclaimer, I also tell my clients that if the nib breaks, I won't charge for the work on that particular nib and then we can look for a replacement nib. I'll install the nib and tune it and charge for a regular tuning.

This usually is the best option for most people. Trying to put the original, bent nib back in shape is not too much of a risk when my policy is as stated above.

2. Replace the nib.

Not knowing the model, or the availability of replacement parts, this can be the most problematic. But, it may bring you the best result in the long run, depending on the cost of the replacement parts. Straightening a nib can be more expensive than a replacement nib, depending on make of pen, model of pen, etc.

3. Replace the pen.

Obviously this is the harder call. Your Duke pen may be very special to you for a ton of different reasons--regardless of how much you paid for the pen.

So, those are the options as far as I see it....

Ultimately, it's up to you and how much you want to spend, etc.

You can contact me through my website (through the link in my signature below) if you'd like to talk through it further.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

Thank you both for your help! I suppose I can let this one go for now---it was only $2.50, cheaper than a Platinum Preppy.

I suppose I can offer it for experimentation purposes to Mr. Bruce, just for fun.

But I do appreciate Mr. Girdler's offer to help repair it---and I will keep that offer in mind for future tune-up possibilities on my other pens!

Thank you again. =D

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Good to know there are options when something like this happens...

Those photos were painful to view... ooouch!

JC3