Midori Traveler's Notebook Review; Version 0.1

johnmetta

In the software world, we often designate version numbers starting with zero to mean "this is still beta, a work in progress, and not ready for release." This is a beta review.

Today, I got my Midori Traveler's Notebook (MTN, Large size) refill #013– the ultra thin paper version. Why just a refill?

I wasn't sure if the form factor of the Midori would work for me, because of all the comments of the narrowness, and because I couldn't really tell how wide it actually was from the plethora of pictures and videos available. So, to check things out, I bought a refill to try.

The first thing I said to myself: "This will fit in my sport coat pocket!" (That made me happier than you realize)

post-97858-0-61295200-1380575132_thumb.jpg

The second thing I said was: "But ewww, that's an even weirder shape than I thought!"

So, I sat to write a few things in it, wondering if it was going to work. Very quickly, I realized something important: The Midori shape encourages self-honesty, realism, and discipline.

I've been carrying around my Quo Vadis Habana as a "general notebook." It is blank, and used for more free-form note taking, jotting ideas, trying to remember phrases, etc. I'm used to a certain flow, a certain "space" (both literal and figurative) to jot ideas. The Habana is nearly twice as wide as this MTN– in the MTN, that space is, well, not there. It's tight. It's narrow. It's a very short walk to the edge of the page! How is it possible for someone to really use this.

But then I look back at my Habana and realize that most of that "space" is just that: space. It's empty. I jot down notes in a way that I use maybe half of the space on each page. I scribble notes, but then rather than use the empty space on the page to fill things in, I go to a new page, because there's too much conceptual overlap otherwise. Things get lost and jumbled together like toys in my twins' nursery and you can never find what you're loo– DAMMIT! WHERE IS BUSY BEE?!?!

So my Habana is a wide notebook with a hell of a lot of wasted paper in it. This makes me think that my use of the MTN should be approached from a different philosophical perspective. It seems to me that this notebook would be nearly useless if I continued to take notes in a scribble way, because there's no room. However, it also seems likely that I take notes that way because there is so much room.

In software, we say that some languages encourage better programming because they make it easier to do things well than to do them poorly. This is the same thing I can see happening with the MTN. It seems as though the MTN will encourage denser note taking because of its narrowness. It doesn't provide me with a ton of room to be sloppy– room that I don't need and don't use anyway– so I'll either be denser and more organized, or not use this notebook. From a philosophical point of view, I love this.

Okay, Midori, be my school mistress and beat me into an organized submission with the ruler of your narrowness.

So, I'm socking away money right now so I can get a cover and some accessories for a MTN. I hope, and really believe, that this will probably replace two, if not three, of my current large notebooks, and simultaneously force me to be a wee bit more organized.

When I get them and give them a spin, I'll do a release version of this review.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnmetta

• SallyLyn

• Joe in Seattle

• KrazyIvan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently got the Midori Reg/Large and likewise trying it out. Fit, style, use. Was playing with a sheet of copy paper and the Traveler - realized width of the paper and the fully opened Traveler were same. Agree the narrow normal use causes me to operate more efficiently, but should I need the space or have need for space around my initial writings that option is there.

Hope to hear more thoughts.

I know exactly what you mean about the space. But I'm used to notebooks like the little Leuchtturms and Moleskines, which are actually narrower.

I bought my Midori setup for three reasons. It's a bit of a treat. I can swap out different notebooks (work, journal, notes, novel, travel, drawings, scrapbook...!) under one cover, and the sketchbook option gives me a motivation to start drawing again. The double-page spread is almost a perfect square (I like this idea - I have a 6x6 camera).

No accessories as yet, but plan to do something with my little collection of washi tape.

I love the ultra-thin paper - it's beautiful to write on, and it's absolutely bleed-proof. (Mine, however, is nestled in a TN, not a sports coat!)

Just placed my order with Goulet Pens. MTN large, brown, with a bunch of accessories. Will present the release version of my review after a bit of use.

I have had the Passport sized Notebook for about a month now. I use it as a wallet and notebook. I added the card holder with zip pocket for a few cards and what little cash i can keep from my 2 teenagers, and a 80 paged lined refill. This keeps me from carrying a walet and a Field Notes Notebook. I also made a small craft file from an online how to and keep some small Levenger note cards in it. This has really come in handy for me. I have recently (past 2 weeks) been trying out the bulletjournal method of keeping my todo list and think the passport size may be a little small for that and may look into either the Field Notes sized cover or a Large MTN.

WF

Edited by Wandering Fool

I have the full size MTN and have the standard blank refill and have added a few stick on pouches to insert a few business cards. I used a couple of refular elastics and added the little daytimer from Midori for writing in phone numbers and reminders mostly. The notebook is currently dedicated to French verbs and French grammar notes so it is my handy study companion in my French class and yes it will be ever ready with the key things I want to recall for vocabulary for my periodic use of French, travels to Quebec or New Brunswick ....or one day in the future perhaps a return visit to Paris.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

My love is terrible at keeping a secret. So I know that come the holidays this will be sitting under the tree. I was already looking forward to to it, but after your review, even more so.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

My love is terrible at keeping a secret. So I know that come the holidays this will be sitting under the tree. I was already looking forward to to it, but after your review, even more so.

Aw, man! That's three months. I'd be going crazy!

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire