Not Happy With Saddleback. Recommend A Light Bag.

Brian C

Most of the bags mentioned have alot of velcro. I do not like ripping a bag open when in a meeting. I also like a smaller bag but this bag is surprisingly big inside and light weight. I have several beautiful leather bags but none works as well as this one. I did replace the strap with one from Timbuc 2 bag because I like their deployment buckle that lets me adjust the strap while on my back and while walking. Here it is the Domke Digital Satchel: http://www.amazon.com/Domke-701-J83-J-803-Satchel-Black/dp/B0009PAU06

www.stevelightart.com

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• whitedot

• wallylynn

• KrazyIvan

My two cents: It looks like a rat with three tails. Their dangling centre strap is awkward. Dowdy too.

Rat with three tales, that's funny. To me, it is the nicest looking bag I've seen yet.

Mission Workshop. The Rummy is absolutely unbeatable. Huge amounts of room, completely waterproof, and a very, very comfortable strap. It's my daily bag :)

missionworkshop.com

Crumpler is also good, and recommended because it's Australian made

http://www.hydraulics.com.au/media/logos/australian_owned.jpg

Edited by Ytland

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

Mission Workshop. The Rummy is absolutely unbeatable. Huge amounts of room, completely waterproof, and a very, very comfortable strap. It's my daily bag :)

missionworkshop.com

Crumpler is also good, and recommended because it's Australian made

http://www.hydraulics.com.au/media/logos/australian_owned.jpg

Mission Workshop has some pretty neat stuff!

J Bird.

Rat with three tales, that's funny. To me, it is the nicest looking bag I've seen yet.

Humour half intended. At least it's better than their straight-up rat:

http://img1.etsystatic.com/006/0/5928420/il_570xN.386168707_zyew.jpg

I have nothing against briefcases or satchels. But, there is a thin line between rusticity and plain out of date. Unfortunately their stuff lands on the wrong side of the line, and looks clumsy and unrefined to me. I suggested Scaramanga, and someone mentioned Barbour. Both are retro and country too, but much smarter.

Edited by whitedot

So, to update. I have not pulled the trigger on any of these. I began looking at backpack possibilities. I know it goes against my original desire but I found an all leather backpack that I am just all-a-drool over:http://www.htleather.co.uk/rucksacks/large-bookbag-rucksack

this is just what I want except he ships from England. I think shipping will end up being a deal breaker :(

I'm a big fan of Saddleback Leather products, but if you're unhappy with those I would move to Duluth Pack or Orvis in green canvas. If that doesn't work and your budget will allow, look into Col Littleton. If none of these work try Mulholland Roadtrip Outfitters and look at their light canvas bags. I have bags and stuff from all the above, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Mulholland has a nylon canvas model of their Angler's bag on sale right now for $62, reduced from $155; I just received mine and it's a keeper. Good luck, vinper

You should check out Timbuk2 which is made in San Francisco area. The bags up here in Canada at SAIL stores start about $79, go to $99 for the large and are about $139 for the extra large courier bags. They are light, durable and wet weather friendly !

I carry one and like it. I also carry a Roots leather bag and have an ancient Samsonite leather satchel which is heavy per the leather reputations. It does fine in wet weather. It drys a bit sloooooowly.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I'm a big fan of Saddleback Leather products, but if you're unhappy with those I would move to Duluth Pack or Orvis in green canvas. If that doesn't work and your budget will allow, look into Col Littleton. If none of these work try Mulholland Roadtrip Outfitters and look at their light canvas bags. I have bags and stuff from all the above, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Mulholland has a nylon canvas model of their Angler's bag on sale right now for $62, reduced from $155; I just received mine and it's a keeper. Good luck, vinper

I like the nylon angler's bag. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be on sale any longer.

You should check out Timbuk2 which is made in San Francisco area. The bags up here in Canada at SAIL stores start about $79, go to $99 for the large and are about $139 for the extra large courier bags. They are light, durable and wet weather friendly !

I carry one and like it. I also carry a Roots leather bag and have an ancient Samsonite leather satchel which is heavy per the leather reputations. It does fine in wet weather. It drys a bit sloooooowly.

I have been tempted with a custom Timbuk2, but I just don't care for velcro. It's a deal-breaker for me.

I wish I could see a picture of a Scott Willis bag.

realized I never responded to this, but Scott does have pictures of his past creations on his blog (http://dontmournorganize.wordpress.com/), you can always email him for more too.

also, for the velcro issue on timbuk2 bags, you can buy those velcro covers they sell (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/bag-silencer-strips), that will at least take care of the flap, you'd just be using the buckles for closure

same for Rickshaw Commuter bag, those come with velcro covers that have magnetic discs in them. (http://blog.rickshawbags.com/commuter-2-1-coming-soon/

) so flap can be shut even without the buckles (not as secure though).

I think some one mentioned Filson earlier, I think you should take a look at the 257. Here's a comparison between it and the 256

http://filsonfan.com/2012/11/26/briefcase-showdown-filson-256-vs-257/

Edited by zchen

Having shopped around and finding nothing I am considering cutting off all the o-rings to lighten it and quiet it. I could always buy a handful of carabiners in case I want to use the attachment points. What do you all think?

I have two Saddlebacks (a large Classic briefcase and a medium Thin briefcase). I cut most of the rings off both, but it doesn't really help with the weight. I did it so the rings would stop banging into whatever desk or table I set my bag on, and I never used the rings and never will. I love both bags, but the Classic is just too heavy for daily use (for me, I know others feel differently). The Thin is fine in the weight department, but it holds very little. Both sit on my shelf and are used rarely. My daily bag is a Tom Bihn Zephry, which is nearly perfect (other than it isn't leather and looks nowhere near as cool as the Saddlebacks, and I had to deal with the nosiy zipper pulls ringing and tinkling as you walk with the bag); it easily holds my MacBook Air, iPad, 3 or 4 notebooks, pens, power cords, etc. with room to spare. I also have a Tom Bihn Empire Builder, which is great, much larger (almost cavernous) but it will not fit under an airline seat unless you give it a few hard kicks.

There is no perfect bag and won't be until someone discovers anti-gravity. I have at least two dozen bags of various sorts laying around; most lasted just a few weeks. Sometimes I think I should Ebay them, but.......

Edited by GMT

Oh, great, another obsession.

I would recommend Colonel Littleton for a bag. They make top notch bags and have great customer service.

Made in the USA!

Rain, Snow or Sun the bag performs A+

John

"Churn the Butter"

I've had a Tom Bihn Empire Builder for six years I think. Bomb-proof and well designed, but not stylish.

I've had a Barbour waxed canvas bag for about the same time. It looks about the same as the day I bought it, which is good. It is very simple, but will take a MacBook Air notebooks, doodads.

Between the two, I can go away for a week and frequently do.

I'd recommend both. Bihn's stuff in particular is very impressive in its functional design.

David.

Try to join this fb group where they post reviews of leather bags / accessories manufacturers:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/423197994362267/

People there recommend Emil Erwin, Colonel Littleton, Bexar Goods, Whipping Post and Saddleback among others.

I personally use the whipping post vintage messenger bag, it uses the same quality leather as saddleback but is more lightweight

http://www.whippingpost.com/products/the-vintage-messenger

Edited by Poeticnook

---

I'm a work in progress..