Not Happy With Saddleback. Recommend A Light Bag.

Brian C

I bought a Rustic Leather medium briefcase/backpack and couldn't be happier. It's gorgeous, extremely well crafted, and has a ton of room inside.

But it is rather heavy.

Not too heavy for me, because this weight is exactly what I was looking for. I can't recommend this bag highly enough, but if someone is looking for a light bag specifically, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I post that here because, in your searches, you might run across them. Now you have a bit more context when you do.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• whitedot

• wallylynn

• KrazyIvan

I bought a Rustic Leather medium briefcase/backpack and couldn't be happier. It's gorgeous, extremely well crafted, and has a ton of room inside.

But it is rather heavy.

Not too heavy for me, because this weight is exactly what I was looking for. I can't recommend this bag highly enough, but if someone is looking for a light bag specifically, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I post that here because, in your searches, you might run across them. Now you have a bit more context when you do.

Thanks. I had been considering them when I purchased the Saddleback. I think it would be too heavy for me.

Leather can weigh a ton. OK for the Pony Express, but often too heavy for a briefcase. I'd go synthetic. I do carry a leather briefolio ( a large zippered envelope design) but that's not a briefcase.

Well my better half and I have sort of a "bag problem" inasmuch as we just can't stop collecting bags. I agree with you, OP, that leather is a total pain because it's way too heavy and doesn't do well in the rain at all. And since we live in Seattle that won't work.

As you can see from the pics below, my favorite bags typically have a few properties:

• simple outside, complex inside -- on the street in a crowded city, bags with buckles and extra clasps or things stuck to the outside often snag other people, make noise or generally get in the way. I keep things inside tucked away.
  • Nylon -- leather is heavy and sucks so badly when it's wet. Nylon cordura is nearly indestructible and is 100% waterproof if you spray it with the suede sealer twice a year. Obviously leather is waterproof too, if treated, but it is still too heavy for serious walking time.
  • Comfortable straps. I have various padded strap covers from Timbuktu I use on most of my bags.

First, I want to recommend Crumpler Bags. These are some of best bags I've ever owned without question. I have three of these and they're freaking fantastic. I seriously cannot say enough good things about their camera bags.

http://media-us.crumpler.com/catalogue/MD05/MD5002-X01P50_img01_nrm.jpg
Click the image to see Crumpler's site=1>

We have three of those Manhattan Portage bags in different sizes and I swear by them. Absolutely awesome. They're lightweight, durable and flexible.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91DFpKrbrHL._SL1500_.jpg
Click the image to see Manhattan Portage on Amazon=1>

I also have a Jack Spade bag that is very similar, and maybe a little bit posher. Great bag.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91tLQYOIevL._SX575_.jpg
Click the image to see Jack Spade on Amazon=1>

Edited by Juicyjones

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

Okay, getting more specific as I've been shopping around a bit. I don't want a heavy bag. I don't want velcro fasteners, I can't stand the sound velcro makes. I like waxed canvas, but any material really is fine. Do the Manhattan Portage, Crumpler, and and other similar bags all use velcro? I'm thinking I'm going to end up with something from Frost River, Duluth Pack, or Duluth Trading.

I wanted to suggest Manhattan portage too. Mine served me well for about 5 years of commuting to school and work. I still have it, and after a wash it looks pretty new. It held double than what it looks. I'd put my laptop, a big text, change of clothes. Hmmm, I should start using it again. I need to make a go-bag.

My bag might have been discontinued, but it's very similar to this "DJ" style:

http://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/images/alternates/1428_RED_INSIDE.jpg

• Nylon -- leather is heavy and sucks so badly when it's wet. Nylon cordura is nearly indestructible and is 100% waterproof if you spray it with the suede sealer twice a year. Obviously leather is waterproof too, if treated, but it is still too heavy for serious walking time.

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to try that.

I can't stand the sound velcro makes. I like waxed canvas, but any material really is fine. Do the Manhattan Portage, Crumpler, and and other similar bags all use velcro?

My Manhattan Portage bag doesn't use velcro. I dislike the sound too but hate how stuff gets stuck in it even more. My brother's bag did have velcro.

If you like waxed canvas perhaps bags made by Barbour may be of interest?

Watching this thread with interest, as I could do with a new bag. I have a (non-leather) Tumi which whilst practical, spacious and reliable is also very heavy.

I wear a suit and tie every day which limits choice a bit.

... I like waxed canvas ...

I'm not sure about their availability in the USA, but I had one of Harold's "waxcan" bags (Messenger style waxed canvas with leather flap) for 5 years. The canvas finally wore out at the edges (and the inner lining was a bit frayed around the corners). Good bag -- especially if you want something lightweight. A minimalist bag for sure. Before I settled on a a Henry Tomkins large satchel -- which I like it alot -- to replace it I was also looking at these bags by Aunts and Uncles.

Just thought I would add to the list of (im)possibilities....

I personally like Tom Bihn bags. I also have an expandable Tumi, but Tom's bags are lighter, more practical (for me to carry my pens and my MacBook to and from work), and travel better. Plus, the strap is the most comfortable strap of any bag I've owned.

http://www.tombihn.com

Plus one on Tom Bihn bags, I have tried leather, other big brands, including Tumi and Tom Bihn is the absolute best.

He has a new fabric called Dyneema which is lighter than canvas and truly water repellent.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I don't have a tom bihn bag, but I do have a Golite Jam backpack. It's what superceded my old Manhattan portage. The Dyneema reinforced ripstop nylon is interesting. The dyneema is basically a relative of Kevlar. It's always white because it doesn't take dyes well. that's why you always have that grid pattern. I can't attest to the strength of the dyneema because luckily I haven't ripped my bag yet. It's definitely a very thin lightweight material. You'll have to provide your own cushioning if you want to carry a laptop or something fragile.

Oh sorry. I actually have a Renaissance art bag as well. Don't care for the style. Gonna sell it as well.

Which renaissance art bag do you have? I like them though I agree they can be heavy. I might be interested in buying yours if it's not basically the one I already have, if you haven't sold it yet.

A handwritten blog (mostly)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm currently using an all-black Timbuk2 medium laptop commuter bag with a camera insert. The camera insert is the reason I stuck with this bag even though my last one tore almost immediately after I purchased it. Despite the steadily-worsening tear, I carried it for almost five years.

I wanted something like the Ona laptop/camera messenger bag, but at less than the $400+ Ona wanted.

In searching, I came across Timbuk2's camera insert. Still using my torn Timbuk2 bag, I was reluctant to purchase a replacement from them, but considered purchasing the camera insert and using it in another brand's bag.

I went to their San Francisco store and looked at the various inserts (small, medium, etc.). When I mentioned to the clerk that my original Timbuk2 bag had torn soon after purchase and I was reluctant to purchase another, she told me to bring it in and they'd replace it at no cost.

I brought it in, they replaced it, and I purchased the camera insert.

The company's no questions and no cost replacement of the torn bag (even after five years and at least one redesign of the product) impressed me with their customer service. The jury's still out on the new bag, but so far, it has taken everything I've thrown at it without tearing, so....

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

It's too bad that the Saddleback bag didn't work out for you. I love those bags and I use the XL briefcase daily. They do have a bit of heft to them but it does stand up to the large amount of traveling I do. I even carry my umbrella in the straps much the way Henry Jones, Sr. does in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Good luck with your new bag search.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
-George Carlin
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.pngfpn_1327044342__postcard_pic_exchange.jp

On looks, Manhattan Portage wins hands down. I wouldn't touch the Duluth with a barge pole.

I have a black duffle and mustard rucksack in washed canvas from a Taipei tiny business. They have satchels and totes too. Construction is top notch.

Scaramanga makes beautiful, leather satchels.

Bill Amberg, I like very much. The Truffle Hunter comes in waterproof and rotproof canvas as well as leather.

Head Porter of Japan fits your criteria really well!

All ship overseas.

Edited by whitedot

I don't think anyone has mentioned Rick Shaw bags. I don't have any of their messengers but I do have a large Moleskine notebook cover. If they build their bags like the cover, they should be really good. You can customize your bag in a lot of different materials/color schemes. http://www.rickshawbags.com/laptop-messenger-bags/zero-messenger-bags.html

On looks, Manhattan Portage wins hands down. I wouldn't touch the Duluth with a barge pole.

I have a black duffle and mustard rucksack in washed canvas from a Taipei tiny business. They have satchels and totes too. Construction is top notch.

Scaramanga makes beautiful, leather satchels.

Bill Amberg, I like very much. The Truffle Hunter comes in waterproof and rotproof canvas as well as leather.

Head Porter of Japan fits your criteria really well!

All ship overseas.

That's actually a Frost River bag I linked to. What's wrong with Duluth? They look nice but I've never seen one in person.

That's actually a Frost River bag I linked to. What's wrong with Duluth? They look nice but I've never seen one in person.

Typo. My mistake!