Not Happy With Saddleback. Recommend A Light Bag.

Brian C

A while ago I asked for recommendations on a Saddleback leather bag. I went with the large satchel. I have found that the bag is too heavy and has too little room inside. I don't care for it. I am going to sell it. Now I am seeking recommendations for a more practical bag. I have looked at Duluth Pack, Duluth trading, Copperriver (not sure if these leather bags are lighter than Saddleback), and Fogg (looks way too expensive). Oh, I have looked at Maxpedition but I don't care for the velcro on the inside.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• whitedot

• wallylynn

• KrazyIvan

I adoooore my Duluth Pack bags. I just wore out a Sparky backpack after about 12 years of daily use. LOTS of room. Somewhat heavy, but not too bad. I wear it as a backpack and it's very comfortable and not at all heavy when worn.

Before that, I used some of their shoulder bags. I can't stand constantly hitching them back up on my shoulder now so I don't use them for work bags anymore. I save them for vacations when they'll mostly be sitting in the car to keep my stuff close at hand. Still lovely bags, just don't like carrying them "purse style".

Edited by betsypreston

Check out renaissance-art.com and see what they have there. No affiliation just a satisfied customer.

Oh sorry. I actually have a Renaissance art bag as well. Don't care for the style. Gonna sell it as well.

Having loads of bags of all styles and brands. The best ones in usability, durability, inner space and lightness have always been the samsonites in leather.

http://shop.samsonite.com/s?defaultSearchTextValue=Search&searchKeywords=leather&Action=submit

I have personally a brown flapover http://shop.samsonite.com/Samsonite-Leather-Flapover-Case-Double-Gusset/dp/B004YZD0JK

and a black business http://shop.samsonite.com/Samsonite-Columbian-Leather-Pocket-Business/dp/B008KN08GA

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.” - Sir Richard. F. Burton

I personally like Tom Bihn bags. I also have an expandable Tumi, but Tom's bags are lighter, more practical (for me to carry my pens and my MacBook to and from work), and travel better. Plus, the strap is the most comfortable strap of any bag I've owned.

http://www.tombihn.com

I strongly recommend Filson. This is what I currently use and am very happy with it. VERY durable and still looks very nice.

http://www.filson.com/products/padded-computer-bag.70258.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=luggage/briefcases-and-laptop-bags&fmetaProduct=1019

I have this same bag in the otter green. The quality is excellent and I have traveled with it for years BUT you should check the weight as I find it pretty heavy to use as an every day bag.

if ok with cordura nylon, take a look at the offerings from Rickshaw Bagworks (I like both the Zero and the Commuter, Zero is lighter, but Commuter has more organization), Timbuk2 (Commute or D-Lux, or custom), Mission Workshop, Chrome(light but not much in internal organization).

Copper River is going to be slightly lighter because their bags are unlined, but I don't think it's a huge difference (based on my experience of Saddleback Large Satchel vs Copper River Voyager 15", it does have more room though)

for leather I recommend reaching out to Scott Willis of http://www.dontmournorganize.com/, and talk to him about custom building one. His prices are pretty fair, the workmanship is great, and you get to pick the leather & how your bag looks.

Edited by zchen

I don't think I saw Colsen Keane http://www.colsenkeane.com recommended. Apologies if it was. Not a customer or affiliated in any way. I had considered them for a journal cover at one point, but didn't buy one after all.

Edited by PenRaider

"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends. This is why most appeals against violent means usually fall on deaf ears." -- Albert Bandura.

Since you mentioned Maxpedition, I'm assuming nylon bags aren't out of the running? I would suggest you take a look at Manhattan Portage's line of bags then. Most use the same strong 1000D cordura nylon as the Maxpedition (I think some of the Maxpedition might use 1050D?) but don't have all the "tactical" trims. Clean lines too compared to some of the other brands of nylon bags. I use a Portage medium Europa on a day to day myself but it seems like you might want to get a larger size.

The different bags have different levels of organization as well. I prefer less sections and will just get organizing pouches to put into the bag if I need them.

Here's my bag:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/9967675425_9e23bfc923_b.jpg

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I know you said you don't like the Velcro inside Maxpedition bags but which bag are you referring to?

I just started to EDC a Sitka and am really enjoying it. It is smaller than my Falcon II and a sling bag instead of a backpack. It still retains that Falcon look. I am impressed with all I can fit in it. I am using mostly the main compartment and still have room in the outboard storage areas.

if ok with cordura nylon, take a look at the offerings from Rickshaw Bagworks (I like both the Zero and the Commuter, Zero is lighter, but Commuter has more organization), Timbuk2 (Commute or D-Lux, or custom), Mission Workshop, Chrome(light but not much in internal organization).

Copper River is going to be slightly lighter because their bags are unlined, but I don't think it's a huge difference (based on my experience of Saddleback Large Satchel vs Copper River Voyager 15", it does have more room though)

for leather I recommend reaching out to Scott Willis of http://www.dontmournorganize.com/, and talk to him about custom building one. His prices are pretty fair, the workmanship is great, and you get to pick the leather & how your bag looks.

I wish I could see a picture of a Scott Willis bag.

Since you mentioned Maxpedition, I'm assuming nylon bags aren't out of the running? I would suggest you take a look at Manhattan Portage's line of bags then. Most use the same strong 1000D cordura nylon as the Maxpedition (I think some of the Maxpedition might use 1050D?) but don't have all the "tactical" trims. Clean lines too compared to some of the other brands of nylon bags. I use a Portage medium Europa on a day to day myself but it seems like you might want to get a larger size.

The different bags have different levels of organization as well. I prefer less sections and will just get organizing pouches to put into the bag if I need them.

Here's my bag:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/9967675425_9e23bfc923_b.jpg

Ooh...I like that I will have to look into that.

I know you said you don't like the Velcro inside Maxpedition bags but which bag are you referring to?

I just started to EDC a Sitka and am really enjoying it. It is smaller than my Falcon II and a sling bag instead of a backpack. It still retains that Falcon look. I am impressed with all I can fit in it. I am using mostly the main compartment and still have room in the outboard storage areas.

I was looking at the Larkspur. I assumed that all Maxpedition bags had the velcro on this inside. Not so?

I was looking at the Larkspur. I assumed that all Maxpedition bags had the velcro on this inside. Not so?

Not like the Larkspur. There is one zipped compartment that sits between your back and the main compartment. It has it. The rest is cordura/nylon. The cool thing about the Sitka is that while it looks like a vertical configuration bag, since it is a sling bad, it is designed internally like a messenger bag. This makes it easy to slide the bag forward and access the contents without actually removing the bag.

Since price is apparently not an issue, call Steve at Gfellers in Meridian ID and talk bags. He'll build your personally designed bag but, um, it will take a few months to build, it will be the last bag you ever buy and it will cost you exactly what it is worth--lots.

I have a couple of nice inexpensive bags from David King's mens line. They only last one or two years and then the leather just gets too tired to take seriously. I've gone through four of these bags in six years. Or I could have bought one Gfellers bag for the same money.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.