Looking For My First Mb ... But Which? And Where?

Sailor Kenshin

Now the question is: what ink?

I currently have four MB inks: a vintage black, current Toffee, and two of the LEs, and I can't see either the Balzac or Jonathan Swift in a fine nib, and can't bear to use a brown in a pen with a blue ink window.

Yes. I know. But I'm just made that way.

Wanted a blue-black. Suggestions? OK to use non-MB ink? I was thinking Skrip, Waterman, Diamine Denim or Twilight, or Chesterfield Teal. Anyone have experience with those in a vintage MB?

Again....THANKS. =)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• jar

• Ghost Plane

• JLS1

Wanted a blue-black. Suggestions? OK to use non-MB ink? I was thinking Skrip, Waterman, Diamine Denim or Twilight, or Chesterfield Teal. Anyone have experience with those in a vintage MB?

Again....THANKS. =)

Sure, use most any ink you want. It is likely a wet writer so keep that in mind as you experiment. I've used Skrip, Quink, Diamine inks, J. Herbin inks, Waterman inks, and likely many others over the years but I'm old and so often forgetful.

I'd try two first, a dry ink like 4001 and a wet ink like Skrip or Waterman to get a feel for where to look.

I think Jar pretty much summed it up in 2 posts :)

Thanks for the MB lesson Jar!

As for inks, The J. Herbin inks have been really wet in all my pens and the Perle Noir fantastic. I have to give a shout to the Eclat di Saphir and the 1670 Ocean Bleu as well. Though the 1670 bottle sucks, difficult to get more than half the ink out.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

It's here!

I am psychotically busy today, so only had time to dip in Skrip Blue-Black for a quick test.

Wow. The Fine nib seems ultra-smooth! I want to load it with Waterman Blue-Black but not when I'm running around like a wolverine on crack.

Am I utterly insane to want more MBs now? One of the modern cartridge-fillers? Or even a 149? (Which I fear may be too big and heavy for me).

And the funny thing is, I still love my cheap Chinese pens. I have two, no, three Heros inked (one is a 616, my Permanent Editing Pen, the other two are a 1026 and a 592 both testing Levenger ink carts). I grab them every day for scribbling.

It's here!

I am psychotically busy today, so only had time to dip in Skrip Blue-Black for a quick test.

Wow. The Fine nib seems ultra-smooth! I want to load it with Waterman Blue-Black but not when I'm running around like a wolverine on crack.

Am I utterly insane to want more MBs now? One of the modern cartridge-fillers? Or even a 149? (Which I fear may be too big and heavy for me).

And the funny thing is, I still love my cheap Chinese pens. I have two, no, three Heros inked (one is a 616, my Permanent Editing Pen, the other two are a 1026 and a 592 both testing Levenger ink carts). I grab them every day for scribbling.

Congrats on receiving the pen - look forward to hearing your thoughts about it.

And no, you're not insane...welcome to the MB club! (It only takes 1 pen to lead you down the path of darkness...as in Precious Resin darkness! ;) )

Once you've got some experience with your current MB, you'll be able to decide whether you want a pen that's substantially larger & thicker (a la the 149), about the same size (a la 146, which includes most of the WEs and some of the LEs) and/or smaller & thinner (likely something in the 32/144/Mozart range). Enjoy your 34 in the meantime!

Expensive, shiny potato chips that you can't eat, lol!

But which stay around even after use!

I used to think I would never buy such an expensive plastic black pen (I naively thought they looked bland and boring), but after my first precious resin classique, I am hooked.

Congratulations. Nice choice.

I had a 32, once. Lovely writer!

Yeah, Skrip blue/black. Why not, if you've got it right there? Fill it up and off you go.

Enjoy!

I am in SUCH trouble.... ;)

Loaded it. Already wondering about a 149.

But so far...very good!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5323/10072852125_79abbf9882_z.jpg

Pardon my shaky hand.

I am in SUCH trouble.... ;)

Loaded it. Already wondering about a 149.

But so far...very good!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5323/10072852125_79abbf9882_z.jpg

Pardon my shaky hand.

Yep, you might be in trouble. I know from personal experience that 1 MB can quickly lead to 30.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Congratulations on your first Montblanc.

May it be the first of many.

Expensive, shiny potato chips that you can't eat, lol!

Says who. I personally think they taste horrible and as a result have had to order a new cap top for mine, and now my dentist wants to see me, so I would not recommend it, but to each there own.

Some ideas.

I'd say that in the case of 70s Montblancs I see almost no differences in terms of performance, feel, major construction features or much any other area when compared to the pens being made today.

Now the pens from the late 50s through late 60s were quite different, slim, flat ended, inset semi-hooded nibs, but still there was a full range of products from the 3x and 3xx entry level to the 1x and 1xx top of the line.

http://www.fototime.com/21D01EC2FCA65F9/large.jpg

The three on the top with the black crowns are from the earlier 2 digit MBs while the bottom three are the later 3 digit models. These pens were about the same size as the Parker 75 or "61".

http://www.fototime.com/AB9077AC7F2AE8F/large.jpg

When you take another step back and look at the pens from the late 40s into the mid to late 50s though you see another transition, from the dome top look towards the cigar shape that had been introduced about a quarter century earlier by Sheaffer with the Balance pens. There is still a full range of pens from top end to entry level but Montblanc was also testing different designs and nibs and capping systems. Some examples of the older more conservative designs like the 234½ were still available but there is also the cigar shaped 14x, 24x, 34x designs and the revolutionary for MB 25x series with the winged nib and slip on cap and the semi-conservative 264 with screw cap and open nib.

http://www.fototime.com/E632794B5D2EB5A/medium800.jpg

With celluloid bodies and slightly smaller sizes than you see today, there is quite a difference when it comes to personality, look and feel.

Here you can see a modern 146 and 50s 146 on the far right and the 50s is considerably smaller.

http://www.fototime.com/C7697AAA46FD813/medium800.jpg

The wing nib on the 25x series is among the most flexible MB nibs I've used. This is on a 254, but the 25x series were prone to cap cracking and so finding one like this is getting harder every day.

http://www.fototime.com/39B407DBA58FDF2/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2D287CEE0409930/large.jpg

One thing I really like are the concave sections seen above and found on the 14x pens from the period. Surprisingly though the 149 at the time had a straight section.

http://www.fototime.com/3A86D9CE00CC1FD/medium800.jpg

Here you can see a couple 234½s and a 144 next to a Pelikan M400 for size comparison.

Sir, can you kindly name all the pens in the very first picture you have posted in your series...

Dentist... Guitar player (not playing these days).... And a fountain pen user like all of you!

Sir, can you kindly name all the pens in the very first picture you have posted in your series...

From top to bottom: 74, 12, 21, 121, 221, 220.

From top to bottom: 74, 12, 21, 121, 221, 220.

Thank you sir, most grateful!

I was being offered a 220 for just 60 usd in excellent condition at a flea market.. I missed it.. Was it a good buy?

Dentist... Guitar player (not playing these days).... And a fountain pen user like all of you!

Well done and enjoy your MB in good health :thumbup: :notworthy1:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time