Montblanc Albert Einstein

nomadhacker

post-97661-0-28929000-1380063685_thumb.jpeg

This one has been near the top of my Looking for Rationalizations to Buy list for a while. Unfortunately, there's no place I've seen that sells samples. Fortunately, I bought something from FPN classifieds and the seller kindly threw in a fistfull of samples, this one included.

So, Einstein. He was known for having gray hair. And this is gray ink. I guess that's the connection. Or it could be *relatively* black. Either way, we come to gray ink.

It's got a pretty good flow. About like any good ink. It's definitely gray, and not just watered down black, which I worried about. It has some water resistance, which is nice.

Overall, there's nothing really really special about it. It's a good behaved gray ink that doesn't completely run away in the sight of water. It's nice to write with. I'd take some. But sadly, I can't really rationalize getting Einstein fan crazy over it, unlike De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes or Organics Studio Edgar Allan Poe.

I wish they'd done something more special for Einstein.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nomadhacker

• Pravda

• Beechwood

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. I actually like my batch (also on Rhodia). What I like most is the subtlety of its colour. Not a black, not a grey but somewhere in between with just a hint of brown. Maybe it's my imagination but I do see a connection with relativity. Like... a dark gray?... or is it a light black? etc...

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Yeah. It's subtle. It feels almost like a vintage ink too, which I do like about it. I go back and forth. I think I was expecting something else.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

And it dries fast, which is also nice for something this well behaved.

We want to do an Einstein ink for our Master's of Science lineup, but we fear he is too recently deceased to not run into potential legal problems. :unsure:

We want to do an Einstein ink for our Master's of Science lineup, but we fear he is too recently deceased to not run into potential legal problems. :unsure:

That's a good question. I think I'd heard his family had control over his estate for his image. But not sure how controlled they are with it. He's pretty iconic, so maybe fair use would apply. You could call your ink something like 'relativity something' instead of 'einstein something', and that'd almost certainly get around it. Or you could call them. I'd love to see what you came up with for Einstein.

While we're on the topic, I see you've got a purple iron gall ink coming out soon on your beta inks site. I think Archimedes Eureka! is a great name for purple in the science series. Just sayin'.

Haven't personally tried Oyster gray. Einstein is what I would call a neutral gray (maybe tiny tiny bit warm) in color.

I have a bottle of this ink. It's OK behavior-wise; but rather uninspiring otherwise. You want to use MB Einstein with a gushy stub or flex nib. With a stiff fine nib there's just not enough there to justify the paper it is written on. If MB had added some inclusions to this ink so it would shade better or take on some character when dry, it might have been a winner.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, what I really want is one of these beautiful pens:

http://www.penhero.com/News/Pics/MontblancEinstein3000_07.jpg

But I'll probably have to settle for one of these:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1129697426_1/DUKE-995-ALBERT-EINSTEIN-ALBERT-EINSTEIN-BLACK-FOUNTAIN-PEN-ORIGINAL-GIFT-BOX-D202.jpg

• 10 months later...

attachicon.gifReview-Einstein 2.jpeg

This one has been near the top of my Looking for Rationalizations to Buy list for a while. Unfortunately, there's no place I've seen that sells samples. Fortunately, I bought something from FPN classifieds and the seller kindly threw in a fistfull of samples, this one included.

So, Einstein. He was known for having gray hair. And this is gray ink. I guess that's the connection. Or it could be *relatively* black. Either way, we come to gray ink.

It's got a pretty good flow. About like any good ink. It's definitely gray, and not just watered down black, which I worried about. It has some water resistance, which is nice.

Overall, there's nothing really really special about it. It's a good behaved gray ink that doesn't completely run away in the sight of water. It's nice to write with. I'd take some. But sadly, I can't really rationalize getting Einstein fan crazy over it, unlike De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes or Organics Studio Edgar Allan Poe.

I wish they'd done something more special for Einstein.

Very nice review. I ended up buying some from Fahrney's and it's one of my favourite grey inks. Thanks.

Thanks for the review.. I personally now love grey inks after overcoming my initial perception that they're washed out blacks.

The important question now is how does it stack up in comparison with Oyster Grey and Permanent Grey? I have these two but wasn't sure if should get the Einstein as well.

So far, the OG shades for me with a tinge of brown that dries to a nice silver pure color with sheen. The permanent grey is same color exactly but more matte and less transparent with no shading.

How is this one can anyone say?

Thanks for the review.. I personally now love grey inks after overcoming my initial perception that they're washed out blacks.

The important question now is how does it stack up in comparison with Oyster Grey and Permanent Grey? I have these two but wasn't sure if should get the Einstein as well.

So far, the OG shades for me with a tinge of brown that dries to a nice silver pure color with sheen. The permanent grey is same color exactly but more matte and less transparent with no shading.

How is this one can anyone say?

Hi Pravda, I have only tried OG which was too warm of a grey for my taste. I've found the MB AE to be a beautiful shader in the right nib. Here are two examples on Rhodia of what the ink can look like depending on the pen (the first is in a wet 1950s 146 with some flex and the second is in a Visconti HS). I love the color in the MB but find it a little dull and a little too light.

post-113356-0-40224100-1410832417.jpg

post-113356-0-06922000-1410832423.jpg

PS I was about to write you back saying it was a neutral grey but when I went back to my notebook and looked at the doodles I did a month ago, the ink appears to be of a warmer tone than when it first dried.

Thank you bstnnyc for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

This got me even more curious about this ink, maybe I'll just pick me up a bottle this weekend.