Organics Studio Accident Blue (Pigmented)

nomadhacker

post-97661-0-23137500-1379885519_thumb.jpeg

And yet another review while I'm going. Forgive me posting all these at once, but I've been sitting on a stack of these for a couple weeks and finally had the time to scan them in this weekend.

This is another Organics Studio ink. And another one that has almost no information up yet. No reviews and no sample pictures on the sites that are selling them. Also another one I'd been excited about, since this one is a pigment based ink. Should make it more permanent. Water resistant and fade resistant.

It's a nice vibrant color with nice shading. It flows wetter than I thought, and dries quick enough. As you can see the water resistance is very high. I'd call it waterproof. As for fade resistance, we'll have to see what happens during the Fade Olympics, since I know Tyler sent a bunch of samples of ink to be tested. But my guess is this one'll do well.

Also to note, I was impressed how easily this one cleaned up. I know you need to take extra care with pigment based inks to get them all out, but I have some conventional inks that are harder to clean than this one.

Overall very nice and nothing but good things to say on this one.

Edit: note on cleaning

Edited by nomadhacker

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nomadhacker

• OrganicsStudio

• doggonecarl

• amberleadavis

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed. It's got a dark turquoise sort of shading to it. A lot darker than the other turquoise inks I have and tend to pick. It shades a lot up to a medium sort of blue. I really like turquoise inks and had long wished for them to be be water resistant. But Lamy Turquoise, Sheaffer, even Noodlers... all wash away. This one is downright permanent.

I think all said and done, this is my favorite ink from the Organics Studio brand.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

My accident was ordering this ink. What a complete mess. There is hardly any pigment to adhere to the paper. I have to assume a Quality Assure issue that probably affected a whole batch of ink.

I used an Speedball B-5 1/2 nib on a sheet of Rhodia dotpad. The only thing that showed up was the initial few letters and the swabs. Forgive the bad scan. It doesn't do justice to the "injustice" of this ink. But it illustrates the problem. Not enough blue in the ink to even get picked up in a scan.

Retracting my negative comment. See post below.

post-88472-0-01083100-1381862285.jpg

Edited by doggonecarl

Have to admit, I haven't tried it with a dip nib. The ink I have works just fine in my fountain pens, as you can see in the scan above. I wouldn't know if that could be the difference, or if it's a batch thing, or something else entirely. Have you tried it in a fountain pen?

Have you tried it in a fountain pen?

Initially, I scoffed when I read this. But the truth was, I hadn't. I used a dip pen to quickly test the four inks I got today without have to load and flush a fountain pen. So when I got home I inked my Parker Vector with Accident Blue and to my amazement, it wrote fine. Better than fine. Why it didn't work in a dip pen, I don't know, but I am relieved to have it work in the a fountain pen, as it was probably designed for.

Edited by doggonecarl

These pigment inks are on the thin flowing side. Very wet, but not very viscous.

I remember reading something on one of Pharmacist's posts in the Inky Recipes forum that traditional iron gall inks for dip pens had thickeners to help hold onto the dip nib. And that fountain pen galls removed these to help them flow better in the pen. I'd hazard a guess it's something to do with that.

Pigmented inks have to be very free flowing to prevent initial clotting. Once a clot forms, it leads to pigment build up and coagulation which can be a NIGHTMARE to clean out. So these inks aren't prone to sticking to surfaces (you'll notice it almost glides around the bottle if you invert it also :) ).

Glad you tested it in a fountain pen and not a dip pen - we don't add binders like some calligraphy inks (shellac, commonly used) so the inks aren't particularly good for dip pens. Dip pen inks usually are much thicker than fountain pen inks so that they write for longer without having to redip.

Tyler

Thanks for the clarity Tyler, that makes sense. The behavior of the ink on the paper is unique as the pigments seem to try and find each other as it dries. Fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a great ink! One of my favorites of the OS line up.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_624a.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

I think it is a great ink! One of my favorites of the OS line up.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_624a.jpg

Agree wholeheartedly. And your wonderful scans really help show off the color. I need to calibrate my scanner.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Probably doesn't matter anymore because Organics Studio is closed, but while it is easy to clean out while wet, it is near impossible to clean if it is dried on a pen. Learned the hard way.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably doesn't matter anymore because Organics Studio is closed, but while it is easy to clean out while wet, it is near impossible to clean if it is dried on a pen. Learned the hard way.

Unfortunately that is going to be true of all pigmented inks. You need to have better cleaning and maintenance regimen than normal inks.

You may want to pick up an ultrasonic cleaner. That'll help with iron galls, pigments, and other toughies