Mb 1912 - Exsessive Surface Wear Around Cap

Bigeddie

I have just ordered one and will be interested to see if it has the same wear issues.

I recently looked at one in the Montblanc shop in Perth, Western Australia and it had no signs of wear.

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Bigeddie

• Paul80

• fountainbel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just ordered one and will be interested to see if it has the same wear issues.

I recently looked at one in the Montblanc shop in Perth, Western Australia and it had no signs of wear.

Chances are the rings will start appearing after a month of regular use.

I don't consider it a problem. The heritage pen is a user-pen not a collector's item--in my view.

Edited by meiers

Does anyone have a MB 1912 which has not exhibited the surface scratches discussed in this topic?

Mine has not this problem. Used daily from January to now.

• 1 month later...

I happened to be in a high end pen shop in Zurich today to buy some inks and I thought I would take a look at the Heritage as I've been desperate for one.

I had a good chat with the sales person who was not aware of the scratch problem and she took me to the balcony area of the shop which is full of MB to check a demo pen. After a quick search she couldn't find any Heritage pens in their display cases or in their stock drawers and was promptly told by another sales person that all the pens had just been exchanged by MB due to the scratches.

After a couple of minutes I got my hands on a demo pen which had no scratches on it, but I was hesitant to buy as I asked if they would give me an exchange if the scratches appeared with the only answer being - it would have to be exchanged / repaired under the normal MB guarantee. Rather than risk this, I've put the purchase on hold a week or two and will check in to see if the demo pen develops any scratches going forward.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I am a bit confused about comments in this thread regarding the purpose of the inner ring and posting the cap. After seeing pictures of the pen a few months ago I went to see one at an authorized dealer. I was particularly attracted by the cap logo. I was surprised to see how small the pen is. Although reports of the nib performance are outstanding, I felt that it was small and plain looking. The deal breaker for me was the small size of the pen could not be countered by posting the cap to improve its balance and appearance. There is a safety pin on the inside of the cap used to protect an extended nib that prevents it from being posted. The shape also makes the cap very loose when attempting to post it. I wouldn't have trusted the posted cap to stay balanced on the top of the barrel for one second! There is only one picture on the internet showing the 1912 posted and I am told that this photo was staged. Everyone I have spoken to say that the 1912 cannot be posted. Is there some model variation that allows it to be posted?

Is there some model variation that allows it to be posted?

No, there is no 'postable' model.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Today I received the Heritage back from the repair dep.

I had a flow problem due to the use of the permanent blue ink (my own suspicion)

So the flow wasn't good anymore and when writing I put to much pressure on it. They readjusted the tines and it writes very smooth again (with royal blue ink)

I also let them take a look at the scratches, but MB adresses this to normal wear.

This was all explained in a two pages letter from MB Hamburg.

I can live with the microscratches as long as the nib is smooth!

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

Today I received the Heritage back from the repair dep.

I had a flow problem due to the use of the permanent blue ink (my own suspicion)

So the flow wasn't good anymore and when writing I put to much pressure on it. They readjusted the tines and it writes very smooth again (with royal blue ink)

I also let them take a look at the scratches, but MB adresses this to normal wear.

This was all explained in a two pages letter from MB Hamburg.

I can live with the microscratches as long as the nib is smooth!

Would you share the letter with us?

I have yet to take the plunge though I find the 1912 fascinates me. But normal wear and tear and a two page letter to explain it away? Come on MB.

Gistar

• 2 years later...

I had the same issue with a Pelikan M800 green striated.

Here is how I solved it:

I took a roll of 600 sand paper, tight and put it inside the cap, let it loose a little and turned it as if to unroll it.

A few turns should do the trick, be careful how much it goes in the cap, do not let it go too deep, mine went up to the threads!

So, measure where it needs the sanding.

Then, with tooth paste (Arm and Hammer in my case) I polished the barrel.

It looks fine now.

Next in line is a MB SE 75th Anniversary with the same problem. I will do a follow up when I fix it.

Cheers,

Hi Gilberto,

It's been a few years since you've performed your fix by lightly sanding the inner ring with fine sandpaper. Can you please confirm if that's fixed the scratching problem since (assuming you've continued to use the pen regularly)?

Thanks.

Hi Gilberto,

It's been a few years since you've performed your fix by lightly sanding the inner ring with fine sandpaper. Can you please confirm if that's fixed the scratching problem since (assuming you've continued to use the pen regularly)?

Thanks.

Hi.

I had forgotten about this thread.

I went to see my Pel, it seems fine, a few marks, but you really need to put it in a certain angle to light to see them, and I do not know whether they are recent of left due to insufficient sanding last time.

Anyway, nothing bad.

Cheers,

Gilberto Castañeda

Thanks Meiers and Gilberto. I won't sand it then.

The circular mark around the barrel is evident in many vintage fountain pens from the era that the Heritage 1912 celebrates. Edited by meiers