Mb 1912 - Exsessive Surface Wear Around Cap

Bigeddie

I just took a look at the inside of my cap. The ring does not appear to be bare metal. It is black and smooth. It may be coated with plastic but I cannot be sure.

Thanks for clarifying this issue orfew, I would have been astonished if this would have been otherwise .

Ideally the coating should be made of a softer material as the barrel, f.e rubber or a soft plastic

This brings me to a new question - if you allow me : does the coated ring surface effectively bulges out inwards?

Thanks !

Francis

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Bigeddie

• Paul80

• fountainbel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for clarifying this issue orfew, I would have been astonished if this would have been otherwise .

Ideally the coating should be made of a softer material as the barrel, f.e rubber or a soft plastic

This brings me to a new question - if you allow me : does the coated ring surface effectively bulges out inwards?

Thanks !

Francis

I felt the inside of the cap where the ring is and the ring does not appear to bulge inwards. In fact I cannot even feel the transition with my finger. By looking for the ring you can see it but it is integrated nicely into the inner surface of the cap.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Hi,

My guess is that it is not the cap itself scratching the barrel, but some dirt or debris getting caught between the cap and barrel. In most cases of pens with scratches from the cap, this is the case. This can usually be alleviated by making the mouth of the cap a wider diameter. The problem is that this can strain the threads on the mouth of the barrel. Having the cap the diameter it is allows the cap to contact the barrel slightly if there is any flexing or pressure, preventing the threads on the mouth of the barrel from excessive strain.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Dillon, I am quite sure that the ring inside the cap is leaving a mark on the barrel of my 1912 heritage pen. It's definitely not dust or dirt. My pen is clean.

Dillon, I am quite sure that the ring inside the cap is leaving a mark on the barrel of my 1912 heritage pen. It's definitely not dust or dirt. My pen is clean.

It's a possibility, but hold your pen in a strong light with a magnifier and tell me what you see. If the sound when you close the cap sounds like something "rolling" then it's likely just dirt, even dirt that you can't see readily. If it is a constant scraping like a scoring sound, then it's more likely the ring.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi Dillon,

The ring on the inside of the cap lines up perfectly with the mark on the barrel. For me it's an open and shut case.

The inside of the cap is squeaky clean.

The sound I hear is more like a constant, scouring sound. It is, however, very discreet.

Matt

Very interesting....

Maybe that ring it is not made from metal, it could be another kind of plastic or another kind of precious or royal resin. The picture showed, it is from Infrared rays, it is not "X-Ray". I was thinking about this ring maybe it was intended to avoid scratches, and the results, well, a serious design flow just like Francis says in this topic post. Some Solitaire Models, have one ring inside the cap, maybe it is the same material.

Best Regards.

Please excuse my poor english, but it is not my mothern language and maybe it is wrong my grammar. Any Suggestions are welcome.

I felt the inside of the cap where the ring is and the ring does not appear to bulge inwards. In fact I cannot even feel the transition with my finger. By looking for the ring you can see it but it is integrated nicely into the inner surface of the cap.

Thanks for this feedback orfew,

I looks Montblanc provided a too small "theoretical" radial gap between the closed cap and the barrel.

However not taken enough in account small variations in shrinkage of the cap and the backlash variations on the threading.

The only manner to solve the problem is removing/sanding and final polishing a few tenths of a millimeter inside the cap, beneath the position of the ring….

Francis

I looks Montblanc provided a too small "theoretical" radial gap between the closed cap and the barrel.

However not taken enough in account small variations in shrinkage of the cap and the backlash variations on the threading.

The only manner to solve the problem is removing/sanding and final polishing a few tenths of a millimeter inside the cap, beneath the position of the ring.

Francis

I am with you Francis.

The only manner to solve the problem is removing/sanding and final polishing a few tenths of a millimeter inside the cap, beneath the position of the ring….

Francis

This is quite likely. I wonder if MB intends to do any revisions.

Dillon

Dillon

I doubt it in the short term, they will not get enough customer complaints as I suspect most owners of some of their pens don't actually use the pen for much more than the odd signature, and those with the pens added to their display collections won't ever see this damage.

This might be one of those times when a Facebook or other social media site campaign needs to be started. Companies like Montblanc only listen to Bad publicity.

Paul

Have people looked at how they cap the pen?

I've used mine solidly since I bought it at the start of August and there is plenty of clearance between the cap and the barrel if the cap is securely at the correct angle. I imagine if I were to attempt to cap the pen at an angle then it would rub against the barrel.

I'm worried about this effect on each of my pens, not just the 1912. I therefore make sure the cap of any pen never goes on at an angle and I use the hand that holds the pen (not the one holding the cap) to guide the cap onto the pen when I close it.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Companies like Montblanc only listen to Bad publicity.

Paul

Have you taken your pen to MB? They can only react to issues they've seen and not idle flaming on public internet sites. The more pens they see and are sent for repair the more analysis they can perform and maybe a solution can be found. Simply moaning on the internet will not assist them with analysing the problem.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Which is what I said, if not enough people tell them they will think its a trivial problem and put it down to the user not their design.

As I implied how many of this model of pen sold actually get used as a regular pen, that's the only time any design fault will be rectified. If they all sitting in their box along with all the others that the owner has baught just because they can then not enough will be in regular use and Montblanc will just blame the user because that is the lowest cost option for them.

If you are in a minority and no one is listening to you then frustration makes you just shout louder and the internet makes your shouting heard over a much wider audience.

If its a real problem that they are turning their back on why not use the internet for some good for a change.

Paul

I recently played with a Heritage 1912 at an AD.

It was just put on display.

It had the aforementioned wear marks on the barrel that others have encountered.

I put my pinkie inside the cap and felt the offending "ring" that protrudes on the inside.

It felt a bit grippy..like it's a very hard rubber washer...it's definitely rough to the touch...rough enough to mar the barrel when the cap is twisted on..

Clearly a design flaw and poor choice of material that this ring is constructed from...not dirt as MB is stating...

Either they are 100% clueless as to why this is happening, or they know and are putting up a shady façade....that I don't like...

I will NOT be buying this pen.. For it's cost, it should not have this issue. MB should be handling it immediately and without hesitation. I am disappointed by their reaction and I will not support this product with my money...

Too bad, it's a nice pen otherwise...

Edited by Fleetlord

Have you taken your pen to MB? They can only react to issues they've seen and not idle flaming on public internet sites. The more pens they see and are sent for repair the more analysis they can perform and maybe a solution can be found. Simply moaning on the internet will not assist them with analysing the problem.

I agree, if too few users feed this back to MB then there will be no change in the design, or recognition of the problem. I would like to see what MB say to others about it, particularly if this is a standard drafted response to an issue that MB seem to be aware of, or if the response changes over time and they offer some kind of fix. The affected: please make MB aware of your problems in the hope of reconciliation and improvement!

BrandonA, in response to your comment about capping; I do the same, cap in left hand with the pen placed carefully into it. This is not an issue that I have had with any of my other MBs, I do have a similar pattern of wear on a Pelikan M200 that has been a daily carry for the last three years or so, given the length of time and use that it has seen that seems acceptable (even with the price points aside). My longer term concern is the integrity of the resin, from that perspective it would be nice if this became a known issue with damage associated with this particular pattern of wear repaired as a design fault from origin.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I agree, if too few users feed this back to MB then there will be no change in the design, or recognition of the problem.

[.....]

[.....]

I do not believe, that they will ignore it.

I think they will modify it and nobody will be aware of it. They will be professional enough

to consider it.

And.......Montblanc will not make it public as Heritage V2.0

Greetings

Thomas

can I say I have not used my pen at all in fear of this issue? It has basically been sitting in my pen case.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Mind you thinking about this, is it really a new issue, I had a look at my older Montblancs last night under a loupe and one of those clearly showed rotational scratches around the barrel made by the edge of the cap and that pen was a 149.

That was a well used pen, is this just an indication that nowadays most owners just don't use their pens as much as pens used to be used so wear marks are no longer the problem they used to be used but as soon as a modern pen is used heavily the wear returns and this is why MB regard it as acceptable.

Are you are just using it as a signature pen or are you writing dozens of letters a day.

Are MB pens made for heavy use or just for their show off value?

Paul

can I say I have not used my pen at all in fear of this issue? It has basically been sitting in my pen case.

I have inked mine up for the first time since I got it back today, I'm hoping it's something I'll get over with use.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan