Mb 1912 - Exsessive Surface Wear Around Cap

Bigeddie

Hi all,

Congrats to those who have bought a 1912, I have had mine since the 10th Aug '13 with a fine nib and I love it, it writes fantastically, could not be happier with the performance...

I am having some problems with quite obvious wear in a ring all the way around the body the pen, the ring is about 34mm from the cap threads at the 'top' of the pen, or 76mm from the 'bottom' / piston end. It is covered by the cap when it's on place. Based on the photo below (thanks to KJY) I think it is around the metal (? - shows up as non-translucent on the IR) ring which seems to be rubber coated on the inside of the cap. It feels less smooth as I run my finger over it, but not like a gouge, it feels worn down.

Has anyone had anything similar? I'm dropping by an MB boutique next week, I'll get their opinion and report back.

Just did some experimenting with a infrared camera (saw that trick in a previous topic of a fellow FPN-member, but can't recall the name at the moment)

The interesting thing is that although stated it is made of resin, the body isn't a see through as I would expect.

I also made some comparison with a 149 so you can see how a resin body would look like.

Maybe the outside of the barrel is made of resin, but underneath is a whole metal body.

fpn_1375648216__heritage_clear.jpg

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Bigeddie

• Paul80

• fountainbel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello

I have this same abrasion problem with a 149 75th Ltd.

I would be interested in how the MB boutique responds to / handles this situation.

Inked

It's not excessive in my opinion. I noticed similar marks on my pen.

You can polish those marks out and then decide to be very careful when you cap the pen. (Meguiar's plastixx does the trick.)

I had the same issue with a Pelikan M800 green striated.

Here is how I solved it:

I took a roll of 600 sand paper, tight and put it inside the cap, let it loose a little and turned it as if to unroll it.

A few turns should do the trick, be careful how much it goes in the cap, do not let it go too deep, mine went up to the threads!

So, measure where it needs the sanding.

Then, with tooth paste (Arm and Hammer in my case) I polished the barrel.

It looks fine now.

Next in line is a MB SE 75th Anniversary with the same problem. I will do a follow up when I fix it.

Cheers,

Gilberto Castañeda

It looks fine now.

Who would have thought you could solve so many of the world's problems with a little baking soda!

It's almost as handy as duck tape.

Thank you for the good tip Mr. Castaneda.

Inked

I had the same issue with a Pelikan M800 green striated.

Here is how I solved it:

I took a roll of 600 sand paper, tight and put it inside the cap, let it loose a little and turned it as if to unroll it.

A few turns should do the trick, be careful how much it goes in the cap, do not let it go too deep, mine went up to the threads!

So, measure where it needs the sanding.

It looks fine now.

Next in line is a MB SE 75th Anniversary with the same problem. I will do a follow up when I fix it.

Cheers,

Thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I used what I had in the house, there must be a lot of other ways to solve it, but I went the easy way, with good results.

Thank you for your comments.

Cheers,

G

Gilberto Castañeda

• 2 weeks later...

A little late I know! I went in to MB Birmingham today and I didn't have the pen with me. I showed one of their (always helpful) staff the photos on my phone, my explanation of the problem and we looked at their store demo pen (they have one that they keep inked) and it has the same wear pattern dispite the light use it gets there. The have given me an email addess to send the photos to customer service. The lady was surprised.

Anyway, that's the latest. I'll keep people updated!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Bigeddie, I think you will get your pen replaced by Montblanc. I'm sure they will ask for the pen when they have seen the pics.

However, it's worth knowing how to fix this type of problem on an older pen. :)

This will be interesting to follow. I have mine trayed at the moment, but will be interested to see how it all works out.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Bigeddie, I think you will get your pen replaced by Montblanc.

But this wouldn't solve the issue, in the long term? Bigeddie's pen was just over a month old when the problem was manifest.

Bigeddie: Thanks for keeping us updated on this. From your post (and others), this seems to be a design oversight?

It will be interesting to see Montblanc's response to the situation.

At least you're in good hands.

Good luck.

But this wouldn't solve the issue, in the long term? Bigeddie's pen was just over a month old when the problem was manifest.

Bigeddie: Thanks for keeping us updated on this. From your post (and others), this seems to be a design oversight?

It will be interesting to see Montblanc's response to the situation.

At least you're in good hands.

Good luck.

Quite right. If all of our pens are used as daily writers, im sure this would be a bigger problem.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

No it won't, but it will solve it now for Bigeddie rather than him trying sandpaper and toothpaste on a brand new pen, and invalidating the warranty he currently has.

Meanwhile Mb might be able to fix the problem on a more permanent basis.

I have had an email back after emailing a link to this thread (rather than the photos, I was on my phone at the time). The boutique have asked me to take in the pen next time I'm nearby, and they will forward the link to customer services. I have used the pen on a regular basis since I got it, but I was surprised to see that the store demo was affected too; I cant imagine that gets uncapped and capped that frequently.

I quite understand the desire for other people to know how to do a self fix on an older pen, but I don't see this level of wear from a month or so of normal use as normal. I'll be avoiding the toothpaste for now :) but thanks for the advice, it might come in handy for me elsewhere.

Has anyone else had the same issue (or not)? I know mine was one of the early ones to come into stock, as was the shop display.

Edited by Bigeddie

I have had an email back after emailing a link to this thread (rather than the photos, I was on my phone at the time). The boutique have asked me to take in the pen next time I'm nearby, and they will forward the link to customer services. I have used the pen on a regular basis since I got it, but I was surprised to see that the store demo was affected too; I cant imagine that gets uncapped and capped that frequently.

I quite understand the desire for other people to know how to do a self fix on an older pen, but I don't see this level of wear from a month or so of normal use as normal. I'll be avoiding the toothpaste for now :) but thanks for the advice, it might come in handy for me elsewhere.

Has anyone else had the same issue (or not)? I know mine was one of the early ones to come into stock, as was the shop display.

Same issue but I like the marks.

Keep us updated on what happens with the pen. This one is very much on my wish list.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Hi all,

The latest update:

The pen has been sent off to MB on Saturday 12/10/13, I'll let you know what happens when it comes back.

Another FPN-er has contacted me with a link to his thread on the same issue. Apparently when his pen came back they said it was normal wear and tear - which seems strange. I have a 1970's monotone 146 (amongst others, this is the oldest) which has seen some use, but it is not showing wear like this. If it was a ten year old pen I can understand some signs of use in high wear areas, but not after a month of careful use (or three weeks in the other users example)!

Anyway, I am missing it greatly, and will report back when I have any more news.

Hi all,

From my point of view this happens on the technical design. All the saftey pens of the 19xx´s are showing this signs. Everything is fine and normal. Also all ohter old pens are showing these "scratches" in the area where the cap is close to the barrel. Mayby it is a offence, but not more.

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens