Mb 1912 - Exsessive Surface Wear Around Cap

Bigeddie

I've used this pen every day for about a month now and have no wear on it.

Same here and my 1912 has been the only pen I've used at home since getting it in early August. It's therefore been capped and uncapped many times.

I think you need to take care when capping/uncapping the pen as I can see how it would work. If you do it quickly and bring the cap to the pen at an angle it will catch the barrel. I keep the fingers on one hand at the end of the cap and the other hand on the pen. Mi ensure that they met head on and the fingers on the cap guide the cap onto the threading with no contact with the barrel.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Bigeddie

• Paul80

• fountainbel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same here and my 1912 has been the only pen I've used at home since getting it in early August. It's therefore been capped and uncapped many times.

I think you need to take care when capping/uncapping the pen as I can see how it would work. If you do it quickly and bring the cap to the pen at an angle it will catch the barrel. I keep the fingers on one hand at the end of the cap and the other hand on the pen. Mi ensure that they met head on and the fingers on the cap guide the cap onto the threading with no contact with the barrel.

Hi folks,

My frustration is that it seems to be the rubber ring on the inside of the cap that is causing the abrasion. I assume that it's there for the purpose of preventing the edge of the cap and the body meeting where the threads are so far away from the bottom edge of the cap (unlike the Meisterstucks where any play in the cap would cause movement near the nib rather than the cap catching the body. My point is that this was clearly considered in the design, but the material used to manufacture the rubber 'bumper' is abrasive to some degree. That should not be the case. It's just damned annoying!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Please do not consider me annoying, but being a design problem, the only way to fix it by owner would be to sand the interior and then buff the exterior as I suggested above.

Because, even with an exchanged pen, the issue would be there.

It has a small dose of self satisfaction to do such things, fixing a Montblanc design problem, wow!

Cheers,

G

Gilberto Castañeda

Hi all,

From my point of view this happens on the technical design. All the saftey pens of the 19xx´s are showing this signs. Everything is fine and normal. Also all ohter old pens are showing these "scratches" in the area where the cap is close to the barrel. Mayby it is a offence, but not more.

kind regards

Max

I am with Max on this one.

Do you think it's ok to post the cap on this pen?

Is it ever okay to post the cap on this any pen that wasn't designed to be posted? For me the answer is always no (plus I don't like the weight anyway). For many others, it is a yes.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Is it ever okay to post the cap on this any pen that wasn't designed to be posted? For me the answer is always no (plus I don't like the weight anyway). For many others, it is a yes.

Could posting the cap damage the mechanism attached to the turning knob?

It is a bandless cap. This might make the cap more prone to cracking if posted.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Good point. But isn't precious resin tougher than rubber or celluloid.

Edited by meiers

Good point. But isn't precious resin tougher than rubber or celluloid.

No one really knows except perhaps MB themselves.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I will call them tomorrow.

Don't expect a particularly straight answer. I ask them many things multiple times and end up with a hodgepodge of random replies each time I ask. Celluloid and hard rubber are remarkable resilient though, but I think there isn't a general right answer. It would probably durability under certain circumstances. Strength under compression, tensile strength, brittleness, resistance to cracking under sharp impact, resistance to cracking under momentary stress, resistance to cracking under long term stress, etc.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Sorry that you guys are experiencing this problem with the 1912. I appreciate you informing the forum of it...

Based on what I've seen of the scratches and the MB response to the issue, I have removed the 1912 from my "want" list.

I have 149 and 146 along with (2) Pelikan M1000's and I don't have this issue whatsoever. INMHO, there is a design / production flaw in the 1912 that is causing the cap to maul the barrel. It is especially noticeable since the barrel is lacquered and essentially an expansive cylinder from the threads down....the design really showcases the flaw..

I personally cannot spend $1100 plus dollars on a pen and have a headache from it. Thanks for the heads up!

I would have thought that the metal band inside the cap would prevent this (See OP with the infrared), perhaps it's another reason for it being there. I'm pretty sure that would be the first thing to contact the barrel, hence the scratching discussed here.

Personally I would not post, it seems like it would take some effort to make the cap grip, and it would easily cause some play in the mechanism. It's quite nicely balanced without posting.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• 1 month later...

Hi I can tell you another anoying story about the same issue.

I bought my 1912 end of september two weeks later I saw the scratches then I brought it back to the shop I bought it and they sent it back from switzerland to the Service Center in Hamburg. It takes about 6 weeks (frustrating) until i got it back. I got the answer, that they never had the problem so far. The shop and MB decided to exchange my pen. So as I like the design, the weight and the nib ob the Heritage I was lucky to have it back, But just another week later - same issue - again a ring of scratches around.... I brought it back to the shop and wait now for the answer.

For me the construction of this pen is the problem. I have some pens from Sailor, to Delta, Stipula, Visconti and yes the all get small scratches while I am using them, but this kind of ring what I have on my Heritage is not normal.

What shall I do now. Shall I claim to give money back so that I can buy another fountain pen or shall I let them fixing it - maybe with some other frustrating experience.

Best regards from switzerland.

I bought my 1912 end of september two weeks later I saw the scratches then I brought it back to the shop I bought it and they sent it back from switzerland to the Service Center in Hamburg. It takes about 6 weeks (frustrating) until i got it back. I got the answer, that they never had the problem so far. The shop and MB decided to exchange my pen. So as I like the design, the weight and the nib ob the Heritage I was lucky to have it back, But just another week later - same issue - again a ring of scratches around.... I brought it back to the shop and wait now for the answer.

For me the construction of this pen is the problem. I have some pens from Sailor, to Delta, Stipula, Visconti and yes the all get small scratches while I am using them, but this kind of ring what I have on my Heritage is not normal.

What shall I do now. Shall I claim to give money back so that I can buy another fountain pen or shall I let them fixing it - maybe with some other frustrating experience.

This ring is caused by the design of the cap.

Edited by meiers

I made my decision - my shop offered my to take the MB Heritage back so I exchanged the pen with a Pelikan M1005 Demonstrator. Maybe in a few month MB has fixed to problem. But till then I will have fun with my new Pelikan.

Hi all, thanks for keeping us all updated with this "problem". I have been following this thread because I have a 1912 and love it. I don't post any of my MB pens so hopefully will not experience the problems that have been identified in this thread. Good result for uniquesolutions. Great customer service from the store. Was it a MB boutique?

I have been following this thread because I have a 1912 and love it. I don't post any of my MB pens so hopefully will not experience the problems that have been identified in this thread.

I, also, hope you don't experience the scratching - but, just to clarify: The OP's problem (and subsequent members) was not caused by posting, but merely capping the pen. (If I've understood correctly)

Good thread, though. Pleased to see people getting results/finding solutions.