• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• Cyclopentadiene

• Sailor Kenshin

• sttank

I have many 616 Jumbo, few boxes of different 3 series and I would say they all write differently even same model in the same box. Some drier, some wetter so various experience of various model are base randomly. Even same model of MountBlac write differently because not every pen are the same -- the MountBlac introduction video said so too.

So, it's variances and different in design that's all. I even believe the Hero 616 and 3xx nib/feed are the same thing. They are so cheap how much differences does it make sense to make so many different variances?

Edited by whoelse

Ever since I saw one in a movie, I had always longed for a pen with hooded nib.

The 616 filled the bill. But I was surprised to hear that the Hero 616 is sometimes faked. That may account for the varying quality.

I bought a number of them some years ago. Out of a pack of ten or a dozen or however many, I don't have a single bad one. There is a burgundy color that I load with Levenger Shiraz as my editing pen and it is medium fine and as smooth as you could wish.

Of course, if you don't like burgundy, green or black, you're outta luck.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I tend to just use my 51s now, and tell myself to be careful & enjoy them. Until I did, the 616 jumbo fulfilled much the same criteria as you're looking for - same size and shape, no drying out with the cap off, no big deal if something bad does happen. I spruced up my favourite with a gold nib and clip.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Hero%20616%20Cap%20Adjustment%20Fix/Hero%20616%20Jumbo%20Clip%20Swap/Hero616JumboClipSwap003.jpg

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Having recently acquired a hero Doctor (616 Jumbo) I can assure you that writing with it is nothing like writing with a Parker. The Hero Doctor gives a lot of feedback, unlike any Parker I have owned.

I bough the pen, because the folk who own them on this site said it was a useful pen because it writes well on poor paper. They were right.

However for a comfortable writing experience, I suspect that the P51 outclasses the Hero in spades.

I just got my used HERO 330. I have purchased it localy on Croatian Auction for $0,20 and it is amazing. F nib smooth writer, light weight. It has an arrow engraved on the section above the nib, so you can not miss the grip.

There is no Chinese alternative to a Parker 51, though the Hero 616 outwardly resembles a P51.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Actually, I love all my 51s, and I'm ashamed to say how many I have...but I also enjoy using my various Hero 616 Jumbo. They are harder to get a decent fill into, but I find the nibs on most enjoyable to use. They cap well, post well, and are ideal IMO for situations where you don't want to take a real 51 in the wild. The nibs are more straightforward than a 51, less character, but they do write a nice, even, fine line and the flow is always good.

The Jumbo is the one to get, they are the most comparable size to a standard 51.

For me, the Hero 100, at a US web cost of about $30, never made the cut. Most of my 51s cost between $30 and $80, and so for that amount of money, IMO better to just get a real 51 and clean it up - unless you really want an all stainless one, as the 51 Flighters are still going for around $200 on the "bay. In that case, the Hero 100 stainless would be a cheaper alternative...

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

several years ago my wife and kids gave me a stainless steel Hero 100 as a gift. The pen is a very nice writer, and I've made it my dedicated Baystate ink pen. I have to say, I enjoy my actual "51" a lot, but, as Mr. J. English Smith stated above, the stainless 100 was much less expensive than the "51" flighter.

French

• 2 weeks later...

I just got several hooded nib pens (Hero 616 regular and jumbo, Hero 329) and so far they seem like good little pens. I'll have to see a 51 sometime to see what it can give that the Hero pens can't (probably longevity) because so far no complaints.

I just got several hooded nib pens (Hero 616 regular and jumbo, Hero 329) and so far they seem like good little pens. I'll have to see a 51 sometime to see what it can give that the Hero pens can't (probably longevity) because so far no complaints.

More colors, lol?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just received a Hero 565. Very usable pen and comfortable. How does it compare to the size of a Parker 51? I also have a Jinhao 911 on the way.

I'll probably hold off getting a Wing Sung 618 for now cuz not sure of the size comparison. I do like a thicker section and the plain opaque colours of the traditional p51 clones, though I am not a fan of the bag filling system.