Questionable Under Clip Engraving On A New Mont Blanc Starwalker Resin Fineliner

NR500

Hello everyone, I recently purchases a starwalker resin fineliner from Amazon. This pen is sold by and shipped by Amazon so I assume it's authentic. Everything looks right, the barrel, serial number, ink, box etc. However, the engraving under the clip is different from my starwalker metal pen. My metal pen reads, "Germany Metal Pix". However, my new resin fineliner reads, "Made in Germany Metal", and there is no pix logo anywhere on the pin.

Is this pen authentic? Has Mont Blanc changed their under clip engraving? I can post pictures if it helps.

post-106938-0-67952300-1379783111_thumb.jpg

post-106938-0-66262600-1379783136_thumb.jpg

post-106938-0-39684300-1379783147_thumb.jpg

post-106938-0-25766100-1379783158_thumb.jpg

Edited by NR500

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• NR500

• Mister Mont Blanc

• arcanaz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just because it was sold by Amazon doesn't guarantee that it's authentic. It would be nice if you could post an image of your pen, but from what you say it does sound like it's probably authentic.

Your pen looks authentic, I know Montblanc recently made some changes to the designs of their regular model pens.

edit: Here is a thread with pictures of some of the changes MB has made to their models.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249953-recent-changes-to-the-montblanc-classique-and-possibly-legrand-and-149/

Edited by Penne Stilografiche

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

• 1 year later...

*Bump*

I'm in the same boat as the original thread starter.

Maybe someone can help me out too.

I bought the same pen from Amazon last week. (Possibly the same batch as the original poster?)

I'm questioning whether or not mine is real as well. It has "Made in Germany metal" written under the clip

Here are few things that are bothering me:

I have a few real ones but they're all Meisterstuck. This is the first time I've held a Starwalker in my hands so I can't really compare what I have with the new Starwalker. I've also not purchased any pens in recent years so I'm not sure if the differences are because the company is changing ways they label products, or I have a fake.

Mine came in the box, but the pen wasn't just nestled in the box alone... it came with a plastic container. (What?) I've included a picture below.

The serial number doesn't start with 2 letters along with 7 numbers. It seems like the serial has a bunch more letters, with something in the middle that I can't tell if it's a lower case b or a 6?

I'm also including a picture of the fineliner that came with the pen (black bold) vs a blue one I purchased last month from a Montblanc store. They're labeled differently. Both fit fine in the pen but I think the refill I purchased (real) has a very slightly longer metal tip. Maybe .5 mm or so.

Even if this is a fake, it's a very well done fake. The only frustrating thing is that it's not SO much cheaper on Amazon for me to justify spending 300+ dollars on a fake when I can get one from ebay for much cheaper.

I also had quite a frustrating online chat with an Amazon representative. I basically asked what measures if any, they're using to ensure that the products are genuine, since I am purchasing from Amazon directly. The guy basically didn't answer my question. He said that the products sold by Amazon are all genuine and it's "rare" that I got a fake. He asked if I would like to do an exchange. I asked him how he plans on making sure the new one I get is real... his reply was that he would check with their fulfillment center twice. (I can't tell if he was being sarcastic.) I have no idea what's going on, but they are sending me another one in the mail. We'll see what happens with the new one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ayz1027/20141130_151305.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ayz1027/20141130_154226.jpg

Edited by arcanaz

I can't explain the differences with the refill, but Mb have changed the format of their serial numbers, and if you think about it that makes so much sense. I know that when retailers buy pens from Mb they come in packets rather than each one coming in it's own box. The boxes are always packed separately. This is even the case with WE's.

I don't see any pictures of the pen, but I can't see anything that's fake in your pics

This is even the case with WE's.

A bit off topic, but WE pens are sealed in their own boxes and used to be shrink wrapped in the box too.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

*Bump*

I'm in the same boat as the original thread starter.

Maybe someone can help me out too.

I bought the same pen from Amazon last week. (Possibly the same batch as the original poster?)

I'm questioning whether or not mine is real as well. It has "Made in Germany metal" written under the clip

Here are few things that are bothering me:

I have a few real ones but they're all Meisterstuck. This is the first time I've held a Starwalker in my hands so I can't really compare what I have with the new Starwalker. I've also not purchased any pens in recent years so I'm not sure if the differences are because the company is changing ways they label products, or I have a fake.

Mine came in the box, but the pen wasn't just nestled in the box alone... it came with a plastic container. (What?) I've included a picture below.

The serial number doesn't start with 2 letters along with 7 numbers. It seems like the serial has a bunch more letters, with something in the middle that I can't tell if it's a lower case b or a 6?

I'm also including a picture of the fineliner that came with the pen (black bold) vs a blue one I purchased last month from a Montblanc store. They're labeled differently. Both fit fine in the pen but I think the refill I purchased (real) has a very slightly longer metal tip. Maybe .5 mm or so.

Even if this is a fake, it's a very well done fake. The only frustrating thing is that it's not SO much cheaper on Amazon for me to justify spending 300+ dollars on a fake when I can get one from ebay for much cheaper.

I also had quite a frustrating online chat with an Amazon representative. I basically asked what measures if any, they're using to ensure that the products are genuine, since I am purchasing from Amazon directly. The guy basically didn't answer my question. He said that the products sold by Amazon are all genuine and it's "rare" that I got a fake. He asked if I would like to do an exchange. I asked him how he plans on making sure the new one I get is real... his reply was that he would check with their fulfillment center twice. (I can't tell if he was being sarcastic.) I have no idea what's going on, but they are sending me another one in the mail. We'll see what happens with the new one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ayz1027/20141130_151305.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ayz1027/20141130_154226.jpg

Everything you are worried about is fine. I also had similar issues with a new StarWalker that was actually purchased from an Authorized Retailer. Montblanc changes these features often so it is not accurate to compare that pen's markings to another one, even if they were made the same year. Montblanc is the one who knows which stampings and wordings should or shouldn't be on which model (It'd be nice to have that spreadsheet!).

On the fineliners, the printing is different depending on when it was made, just like the pens. This is normal.

The new serial number format is as you described, more letters than numbers. One I have only has 2 numbers with about 7+ letters.

Also many MB pens made more recently actually do NOT have the Pix trademark anywhere (unless it's hidden under the resin lol).

You can get a fake from anywhere, Amazon or not. But if you're buying directly from Amazon, it is true that it's most likely authentic. Their products would mostly come from overstock of the actual brands whereas the marketplace sellers could be anyone who got it from anywhere.

From the information you provided, it sounds genuine and I don't think you have much to worry about. You could start a separate thread with some good pictures for more advice.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll start a new thread when I receive the "exchange" pen and post some pictures of both. It's probably just the initial shock and worry that I got a fake because there are so many fakes out there. It's also harder I think to identify counterfeit rollerballs when I'm used to buying/using fountain pens.

Edited by arcanaz

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll start a new thread when I receive the "exchange" pen and post some pictures of both. It's probably just the initial shock and worry that I got a fake because there are so many fakes out there.

Trust me, I know. I wound up selling the one I had bought and had to accept it back because even Montblanc store associates weren't aware of the changes made to the markings on the pen and the seller wasn't sure it was real.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!