Ink Recommendations On Student Budget

TheAkwardNinja

I'm new to fountain pens. I will be getting a Pilot Metropolitan soon, so I will be using the converter more than cartridges. I need relatively inexpensive ink, something black or blue, and something that won't feather. Any thoughts?

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheAkwardNinja

• ac12

• usk15

• Rndmness

Sheaffer Skrip black or blue black: cheap, won't feather and a degree of water resistance.

Also, Pelikan 4001 black.

Noodler's Black is a great everyday ink and was the only ink I owned for a long time. It's also pretty affordable at just under $0.14/ml in the 90 ml bottles. I would just recommend cleaning the pen regularly, as Noodler's inks are a little more high maintenance than some others.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

Sheaffer Skip, Parker Quink, Cross (made my Pelikan), Pelikan

These range from about $9 for the Sheaffer to $11 for the Pelikan.

The 4 variables; pen, ink, paper and the writer, each play a factor in feathering.

As for feathering and blotting, in my experience, it depends more on the paper than the ink.

But to play it safe, you want a dryer ink, so you would leave out a wetter ink like Waterman. Although Waterman may still work, I have Waterman loaded in my Pilot Metro, and I do not have a feathering/blotting problem. But I also pick the paper I write on, and do not write on news paper with a fountain pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My favorite go to ink that is both cheap and works well under lots of conditions is Parker Quink Blue Black.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I'm actually using Parker Quink black in my Pilot MR (UK version of metropolitan) for note taking usually on cheap or scrap paper and I can recommend it, no feather, and wet writer, dry in ~ 3 sec.

I second the Parker Quink recommendation. It's just about the only ink that can easily be found in B&M stores (hence saving on postage). It's a decent black that is suitable for school work. No bleed through, dries quickly, no feathering and super cheap.

The problem with B&M shops today, is that it is HARD to find them.

And when you do, you are stuck with the limited selection they have.

I told one store "NO I do NOT want Mont Blanc ink" as that was all they carried.

I was looking for something more reasonable in price, around $10 a bottle, not $20.

But order online and you have a $10 bottle of Quink + $5 shipping for $15. :(

So now I have to plan my ink purchases (that my local shop does not carry) around other purchases to keep the shipping cost down or free. My last frustration was the store could get all the Sheaffer inks EXCEPT turquoise, which of course is the one that I wanted. So I had to get my turquoise from Goulet, as part of an order of other stuff.

BTW, I gave up on Parker black after MANY years (decades) of using it in cartridge form. The black would many time look grayish, but I wanted BLACK. So when I started using bottle ink, I switched to Waterman and Cross/Pelikan for my black ink, and I got my BLACK.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'd go with Parker Qink black... probably the ink I used the longest. I find it cheap, well behaved, even if it sometimes looks a bit grayish...

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

I bought 4 bottles of Parker Quink NOS sealed from DeGruchy department store with 0.79GBP/$1.25 each. Sometimes if you are lucky enough you can do a good stock very cheap! Just look for sale and discount.

Find the ink that works well for you. A two-ounce bottle will fill your pilot converter

70 times. So, $10 per bottle or $15 per bottle shouldn't make a big difference,

especially if the ink comes from Santa.

A brick and morter store might let you try some of their inks. What's your location ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Don't forget, if you get something very saturated like Noodler's, you can also dilute it to get more ink. (but dilute a few ml at a time, not the whole bottle)

+1 on Noodler's Black. Added bonus is that it is supersaturated, so you can cut it with a SIGNIFICANT amount of water without seeing any ill effects, meaning you can stretch the heck out of a bottle by adding water to dilute it some.

Also would point you toward ESS Registrar's Ink. A pricier bottle on face value but a few things to consider:

1) It's a sizable bottle, so ounce for ounce it's not bad.

2) It seems to last forever. I still have 30% of a bottle left that I bought a year ago and this is the only ink I use anymore.

3) It writes nicely on EVERYTHING. I have seen good performance on the cheapest papers known to mankind. A bit of feathering on pure (bleep)-o-la, but even on "normal" cheap copy paper it writes great. As a student you'll have a lot of opportunities to write on cheap paper, so ESSRI is king in this regard.

Ink is pretty affordable when you really think about it, even the moderately pricier bottles. Getting fancy notebooks will chew up your budget a lot faster, so an ink that writes well on junk is a good buy for a student.

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

This is all great advice. The nice thing about a fountain pen is that you do not really have to worry about the price of ink if you are buying bottles. The per filling cost is so minimal that the most important thing is to get the ink you want and like.

The only thing you might have to think about on a student budget is how much the bottle costs in the first place, not how many converters you can fill with it.

For this reason, I am in agreement with Sasha Royale.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

I live in Southern Idaho

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

Can you convince half of your state to move back from ND, just kidding. We do seem to have lots and lots of Idahoans here.

Anyway, not sure that I'd recommend registrar's ink at this point. You haven't listed how familiar you are or aren't with heavy-duty maintenance, and I-G inks such as Registrar's Ink can be maintenance intensive.

Quink Black is cheap, but it can fade under fluorescent lighting.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan